Author Topic: What's the Best Pistol Gauge?  (Read 7376 times)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: What's the Best Pistol Gauge?
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2016, 06:24:47 PM »
Overbore a bit at 26.5mm...

I promise not to duck.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2016, 09:51:38 PM »
I'm seeing more and more examples of the over- and improper use of online thesauri and dictionary entries, as well as spellcheckers.

My online TV listing gives a little précis of each program which is rife with examples of misuse of words with the same "poor online research" flavor.

The writer probably thesaurized "caliber" and one of the entries was "gauge," so he used that and patted himself on the back for his sophisticated use of gun lingo.

It's getting to the point where I would expect to hear or see screws and wire sizes referred to as .22-caliber wire and 1/4 - 20 gauge screws.

This, although I reckon 6-32 screws might properly be called a "gauge."

Oh, well, what can you act**?

Terry

* One of the spelling hints I got from a grade school teacher was that "gauge" is spelled in the order of the vowels, as in "a, e, i, o, u," not as "guage." I often end up referring to that in my head when writing about shotguns.

**http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/do

Well, that but also the simple fact that technical descriptions and creative descriptions are different beasts and the journalists these days seem to be more flunks from creative writing class than anything else.
You shouldn't be offering up the technical term for the thesaurus in the first place, much less altering it to "spice" things up.

Then again, maybe he did his research on the website of the Well Armed Woman, home of the .45 mm XDS.  ;/ It's not like certain areas of gun culture have all that much room to talk about inaccuracy. *sigh*
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2016, 09:37:44 AM »

Downvote, no banana for scale.

I smell an Imgurian.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2016, 11:41:44 AM »
And speaking of fouled up nomenclature and concepts, I've been watching John Walsh's new TV outlet, the "Justice Network."

Mainly for the forensic techniques (and no, I'm not planning a crime --I'm interested in the science involved).

Anyhow, I knew Walsh was a bit "anti," but at least he never spouted off on it with his interludes involving missing children and descriptions of criminals still being hunted.

But boy, talk about the antis pulling out all the stops, he suddenly comes up with one of his interludes which was virulently anti-gun, including quite a number of technical errors and emotional appeals..  

I wish I could catalog them but I was so stunned by the bullbleep I couldn't capture them in my head --at least not enough to quote accurately.

He started out with the usual "I'm a gun owner but..." and then immediately goes into a typical  uninformed stream of anti gun platitudes.  

(That was a direct quote.)

I tried to find a video of it with a video search, but I couldn't find one to present as evidence here.  I guess it wasn't put on any of the video channels yet.

Although this may be unfair in Mr. Walsh's case, whenever I hear "I'm a gun owner but..." the image that pops into my mind is a rusty old .22 "gauge" rifle they got from their grandfather and is sitting either in the back of a closet or wrapped in a blanket up in the attic.

Somewhere.

In any case, Mr. Walsh, if this post somehow comes to your attention, I hope you will educate yourself a little better on both the technical and political aspects of firearms ownership as well as the plain English reading of the Second Amendment.

You might discover why it is the shortest and most emphatically written clause in the Constitution if you read the Preamble to the Bill of Rights.

Terry, 230RN

REF (Preamble to the U.S. Bill Of Rights, bolding mine):

Congress OF THE United States
begun and held at the City of New York, on Wednesday the Fourth of March, one thousand seven hundred and eighty nine.

THE Conventions of a number of the States having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best insure the beneficent ends of its institution

RESOLVED by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America, in Congress assembled, two thirds of both Houses concurring, that the following Articles be proposed to the Legislatures of the several States, as Amendments to the Constitution of the United States, all or any of which Articles, when ratified by three fourths of the said Legislatures, to be valid to all intents and purposes, as part of the said Constitution; viz.:

ARTICLES in addition to, and Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America, proposed by Congress, and ratified by the Legislatures of the several States, pursuant to the fifth Article of the original Constitution.

Repeated for truth:

...expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added...

« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 12:04:41 PM by 230RN »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2016, 03:41:38 PM »
Did we ever figure out the answer to this question? I'm trying to decide between a 9mm Luger, and 9mm Parabellum, so I'd really like to have some insight on this.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2016, 08:29:23 PM »
Did we ever figure out the answer to this question? I'm trying to decide between a 9mm Luger, and 9mm Parabellum, so I'd really like to have some insight on this.

I recommend a 9mm NATO.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2016, 08:34:00 PM »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2016, 08:35:44 PM »
I recommend a 9mm NATO.

I like 9X19 better.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2016, 08:42:41 PM »
I like 9X19 better.

9mm Luger is better
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2016, 09:11:47 PM »
I still say the .9mm Teflon coated, armor piercing, school destroying bullets be more betterer.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2016, 09:44:43 PM »
Millimeters are too small, you need something in the .354-.355 inch range.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2016, 10:02:53 PM »
I enjoyed my 9mm Winchester Magnums

and here is the page to see and compare/contrast tons of different ammo: http://herohog.com/images/guns/ammo
MOLON LABE!

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2016, 10:05:26 PM »
Is the .38 really special? Perhaps we've been coddling it for far too long.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2016, 10:09:23 PM »
Is the .38 really special? Perhaps we've been coddling it for far too long.

(It's a little deformed but we don't bring that up around it, it's just not polite)

The other .38 may be short but it's really thuper!
MOLON LABE!

markdido

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2016, 10:58:23 PM »
"I vote for 88 Magnum."

I do too, because it shoots through schools...
Liberals believe that a woman, found raped and strangled with her own pantyhose is morally superior to a women with a dead rapist at her feet and a gun in her hands.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2016, 12:55:27 AM »
(It's a little deformed but we don't bring that up around it, it's just not polite)

The other .38 may be short but it's really thuper!

But the other other .38(0) is automatic ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2016, 01:04:03 AM »
Not shown is the .38 S&W, the wimpy BP forerunner of the rest.
MOLON LABE!

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2016, 08:40:14 AM »
What about the .380 Magnum?  Can't leave out that one.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2016, 12:19:55 PM »
. 44 Browning or nothing.