Author Topic: Tesla Makes a Profit  (Read 876 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Tesla Makes a Profit
« on: October 27, 2016, 09:50:06 AM »
I just heard this on Fox Business, so don't have a link.

Tesla just posted their first quarterly profit in 13 years. How did they do it? Selling cars? Nope. They sold green carbon credits to CA. Government Motors, phase 2.

Plus, the most busybody state in the nation regarding telling people (often by force) to "be green", is buying credits at taxpayer expense so it can pollute. Al Gore would be proud.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Tesla Makes a Profit
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 11:37:11 AM »

*shrug*

If California wants a Cap and Trade carbon credit thingie, that's their business. It's essentially just another business tax. Meanwhile the rest of us might get some interesting technology out of it, which California footing the bill. I have no problem with this sort of thing at the state level. Provided I don't live in that state, obviously. At the federal level is the no-no.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 11:59:36 AM »
*shrug*

If California wants a Cap and Trade carbon credit thingie, that's their business. It's essentially just another business tax. Meanwhile the rest of us might get some interesting technology out of it, which California footing the bill. I have no problem with this sort of thing at the state level. Provided I don't live in that state, obviously. At the federal level is the no-no.

You're one of them TEA Partier types ain't ya?   Wanting to see 50 experiments in democracy...  Damn Originalist Radicals....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 03:35:56 PM »
Tesla has been exploiting this sort of thing for years.

For example, since they don't produce polluting vehicles, they kind of blow away EPA requirements.  They sell their 'ZEV' credits to other car manufacturers that are, perhaps, slacking on their own 'green' requirements.  This is worth a couple grand per car.

That being said, they're a business.  I wouldn't consider leaving this sort of money on the table to be in their own best interests.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 03:52:28 PM »
I've got no problem with the business aspect, just the holier than thou thing that is carbon credits. And they have the nerve to talk about gun loopholes...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 07:28:47 PM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 07:15:37 PM »
I've got no problem with the business aspect, just the holier than though thing that is carbon credits. And they have the nerve to talk about gun loopholes...

It's only a loophole when it's something that benefits people they don't like ...

When it benefits them, it's "the law."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 08:57:14 PM »
When (not if) Tesla finally goes bankrupt it will be epic watching the caterwauling of the left.  I give it 3 years, tops.  If it was anyone but Musk it would have gone under 3+ years ago.  Say what you want, the man knows how to spin BS to his own profit.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 02:31:53 AM »
When (not if) Tesla finally goes bankrupt it will be epic watching the caterwauling of the left.  I give it 3 years, tops.  If it was anyone but Musk it would have gone under 3+ years ago.  Say what you want, the man knows how to spin BS to his own profit.

I'd say that, in the 3 year timeline at least, it's very much an 'if' they go bankrupt.  I figure that they'll sell out to a major manufacturer before that happens.  They've built enough of a brand name and loyalty for that.