Author Topic: If you don't want to slap this guy, I'll do it for you  (Read 6533 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
If you don't want to slap this guy, I'll do it for you
« on: December 14, 2006, 06:28:34 PM »
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel now has a volunteer staff of "community columnists" who deliver their own often skewed view of reality.

Here's one from yesterday concerned the new health crisis, fatty foods:

America, your obesity is costing me

Posted: Dec. 12, 2006

None of my columns has elicited the wrath of the masses. I'm about to change that. Because statistically speaking, it's a pretty good bet for me to say that you're fat. And I'm ticked off because you're hurting my wallet.

Advertisement

Lost in the debate about controlling our health care costs is perhaps the single most serious health issue affecting our nation. According to the Wisconsin Public Health Institute, 37% of Wisconsin residents were overweight in 2001 and 22% obese, more than double the level just 11 years prior to that.

The cost? According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, $92 billion nationally in 2002. Tax-supported Medicaid and Medicare picked up nearly half of that.

According to the American Obesity Association, on average, a person defined as obese is five times as likely as someone at healthy weight to have Type 2 diabetes, three times as likely to have high blood pressure and twice as likely to have a heart attack. In addition, obesity is linked to liver trouble, arthritis, stroke, sleep apnea, impaired respiratory trouble and countless other ailments.

A recent General Motors study of more than 200,000 of its employees found that the average annual health care cost of someone severely obese was $1,500 more than that of a person in the healthy weight range. America has grown so large there's now trouble with our perception of that range.

People often ask how I stay so skinny. It's true; compared to most people I encounter on a typical day, I look like a rail. But according to the chart for body mass index, my current height and weight (6'1, 155 pounds) fits within the ideal BMI parameters.

What's my secret? And why am I ticked off that a big portion of my paycheck goes to treating obesity-related illness? Because my being skinny is not an accident; I have to work at it.

During the past 13 years, I've run enough miles - more than 25,000 - to circle the Earth. When that damaged the tendons in my foot, rather than sit and mope, I hit the weight room, took up swimming, bought a bike and, if nothing else, took 60 minutes or more each day to walk.

Though I have a weakness for chocolate, a look into my typical grocery cart reveals things like broccoli, spinach, multigrain bread and apples. My alcohol consumption is usually no more than one drink a week. Fast food? Strictly reserved for my few trips a year back home to Minneapolis. In other words, I make the choices necessary to avoid obesity-related illness.

By now rabid e-mails have started to arrive. Tonight my mailbox will be filled with e-mails calling me insensitive, unkind, someone who has no idea how difficult it is to go through life in a body that's not svelte and compact.

Well, the good news is that most health officials consider just 30 minutes of light to moderate exercise (walking) five times a week enough to significantly cut into the obesity epidemic. As a married and working professional who typically puts in at least twice that, I don't see why 99% of people couldn't achieve that.

America, you're too big. You're costing me, the health-conscious person, billions in the way of Medicare, Medicaid and higher insurance premiums. Go ahead now; get angry and send me that nasty e-mail. Check that. Break out the paper and pen and write me a traditional letter. Then you'll need to walk to the mailbox. Finally, you'll be fighting back.

Steve Paske of Milwaukee is a Milwaukee Public Schools teacher and author of a new book, "Breaking Stride." His e-mail address is paskesm@yahoo.com

No, you self-absorbed little twit. I won't feed your ego by emailing you.

Like Mr. Paske, I've been skinny all my life. To the consternation of my wife, family and friends, I've been able to eat as much as I want without gaining weight. (Until the last three or four years).

I've gone to restaurants and ordered and eaten two whole dinners at one sitting. At an all-you-can-eat fish fry, I had 13 plates of fish.

Didn't gain weight.

No amount of exercise bulked me up, although I got stronger. And the exercise that I had, as well as the people I know, didn't come from hitting the gym. It came from real work. Y'know, Mr. Paske, stuff like lifting crated hoods for Chryslers from the top shelf at the parts warehouse and schlepping them all over town to auto body shops.

Oh, yeah, I've also gotten in my share of aerobic exercise. Try running up and down 26 flights of stairs all day while carrying boxes of product to be photographed.

But what do I say to my wife, who works longer days than I do, does even more physical work, but is genetically predisposed to being overweight? "Tough luck, sweetheart?"

This guy is so full of himself that he needs deflating.

First it was the smoking police. Then the anti-gunners.

The food police are on a roll, and they're bringing their nonsense to a town near you, and soon.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: If you don't want to slap this guy, I'll do it for you
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 06:31:53 PM »
I won't read that tripe, so I'm glad you did it for me.  Smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 07:55:01 PM »
My take on it is that, finally, someone is admitting to their concerns about obesity are in the pocketbook.  He's blunt, but at least he's honest.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 08:43:20 PM »
  Every person, except for one, that I was a acquainted with that had a lifestyle like this guy was dead in their 40's or 50's.  The one who is still alive is 70 and he has had dementia since he was about 60 and he can barely walk.  I think the reason he is still alive is that he drank beer and ate fatty foods.  That was why he ran 10-15 miles a day for 20 years; so he could eat good, tasty, fatty foods and drink beer.  Me, I sometimes don't get enough sleep,  eat too much, eat fried foods, drink too much, rarely excercise except for strenuous labor around the keep, and generally absolutely enjoy every day to the fullest.  I'm 63 and have the usual aches and pains of someone my age.  I have all my teeth, hair and don't take any pills to speak of.  Oh, I did have cancer, but I threw that away along with my gall bladder a couple months later.

People who eat ultra healthy foods and psychotically over exercise ruin their bodies and their minds.  And you know what else?  I could care less that these nanny staters obsess about how much I cost them.  Screw 'em.  I wish I could cost them more.  They are causing me and millions of other Americans our freedom, little by little, and that loss has no moral equivalence to his pissing and moaning about his health insurance premiums.  The fact that advances in the sciences allow us to be repaired or live longer is offset by the monetary cost.  And he bemoans this. I believe it is worth the cost.  This guy and people like him wants everybody to fit their definition of healthy and safe.  He and people like him are more dangerous than saturated fat.

What this cretin does not understand is that we can do most anything and everything, if done in moderation.  He criticizes folks that do not follow his lifestyle of overcompensating astheticism, which also makes him a hypocrite.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 11:17:17 PM »
First it was the smoking police. Then the anti-gunners.
The food police are on a roll, and they're bringing their nonsense to a town near you, and soon.

Actually, our nation has had a wide, deep streak of Puritanism since the pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock. Hatred of smokers, people who keep and bear arms, and fat people are merely the latest variations upon the theme of witch hunting.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 11:24:27 PM »
6'1, 155 pounds

I could break him over my leg, and then he'd have some medical bills of his own  grin

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 02:20:40 AM »
I can't understand people's reactions here.  The writer is correct: other people's poor health habits cost him money in terms of higher taxes, higher health insurance premiums, etc.  He isnt trying to save anyone from themselves, he is trying to save himself money.  For a bunch of people who call themselves Libertarians, this shouldn't be hard to sympathize with.
I remember reading a story about a company whose health care costs were skyrocketing.  They instituted a penalty when  claims reached a certain amount (or something like that).  People who were overweight and/or smoked started getting pressure from the coworkers to change their lifestyles to reduce the penalties.  It worked.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

griz

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 02:39:22 AM »

For a bunch of people who call themselves Libertarians, this shouldn't be hard to sympathize with.

I don't have a problem with him wanting to save money.  But I find it funny that so many people think no one should have to pay for their own health care, but are offended when they figure out the lack of financial incentive causes people to ignore common sense measures.  That's the true libertarian in me talking.  The more health care is "free", the more it costs us.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2006, 02:50:11 AM »
I don't get the problem either.  I also don't buy the argument that exercise wears your body and mind faster so that you'll die at an earlier age.  I know plenty of 60, 70, and 80 yo folks that get regular exercise in the form of biking, walking, gym work, etc. 

Chris

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2006, 02:55:11 AM »
The Libertarian in us doesn't like being told how to live.  It further informs us that my weight gain shouldn't be this fellow's problem.  He shouldn't be telling me to exercise and eat right, like he does.  He should be lobbying for less govt. involvement in health-care. 

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2006, 04:08:00 AM »
And if someone were to go off in the wilderness and be fat and smoke I doubt he'd have a problem with it.  I know I wouldn't.  But that isnt what's happening.  And someone's bad habits become my problem when I have to pay for them.  Getting gov't out of the healthcare business is a great idea, but not likely to happen anytime soon.  At least a second best is to penalize those who don't take care of themselves on the gov't's tab.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 04:20:17 AM »
I see your point, Rabbi, but I still have a problem with this article.  Like I said, I'm not reading the whole thing, but does the guy at some point blame the nanny state, or does he just take it for granted?  Does he ever point out that changing the system would be a better tack than trying to change peoples' lifestyles with some little penalty? 

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2006, 04:46:09 AM »
Getting gov't out of the healthcare business is a great idea, but not likely to happen anytime soon.

Granted.  Absolutely correct.

At least a second best is to penalize those who don't take care of themselves on the gov't's tab.

Not so much. 

Asking the government to take away the rights of people to choose what they do with their own bodies because the government has already taken away the rights of people to choose whether their tax dollars go to pay for other people's medical care is, well...insupportable.  The redress of one foolish thing is not accomplished by inflicting further foolishnesses. 

There should probably be a saying about that.  Something along the lines of "Two wrongs don't make a right."  Surprising no one has thought of that yet...

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2006, 05:00:41 AM »
His argument that 1/2 of $92B going to pay for fat related illness is medicare or medicaid may be factually correct but that's as far as it goes.

If every single person in the US instantly became 100% perfectly healthy it wouldn't lower our tax bill one red cent. The goobers in goobermint wouldn't lower our taxes they'd just figure out some other way to spend the money.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2006, 05:36:01 AM »
His argument that 1/2 of $92B going to pay for fat related illness is medicare or medicaid may be factually correct but that's as far as it goes.

If every single person in the US instantly became 100% perfectly healthy it wouldn't lower our tax bill one red cent. The goobers in goobermint wouldn't lower our taxes they'd just figure out some other way to spend the money.

What a great argument!  Let's not change a thing because nothing will change.  I think I'll just sit back and watch what happens.  No reason to be involved, no reason to vote.  No reason to write letters to editors or try to engage and inform people on any issue because nothing is going to change.
<sarcasm off>

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2006, 05:48:50 AM »
The sad thing is, you don't need to take on a grand fitness and diet program in order to be healthier.  Small changes like portion control (get the 8oz steak rather than the 12oz one, get a kid sized happy meal rather than the double quarter pounder meal with large fries and gallon soda), choosing healthier foods when possible, and simply going for a walk after dinner would net folks huge health benefits.

Of course  the govt shouldn't be subsidizing the healthcare of folks who abuse their bodies, but why can't folks also be encouraged to take better care of themselves regardless of who's paying the final bill?  Personally, I want to be healthy enough to chase my grandkids around the yard until THEY collapse from exhaustion.  Considering my daughter is only 3yo, I have plenty time to work on that. Smiley

Chris

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2006, 05:50:40 AM »
What a great argument!  Let's not change a thing because nothing will change. 

That sounds like the article itself.  Don't even suggest that individuals take responsibility for their own health, just point out ways we could compensate for symptoms of a wrong-headed system.  And while you're at it, get snarky with anyone who eats hamburgers and weighs more than the govt. dictates. 

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2006, 05:58:27 AM »
6'-1" and 155 pounds?  Sounds like hyper-thyroidism to me! Cheesy

I've watched the increase in Blimpos these last several decades.  It's rather beyond my understanding as to why folks get themselves into such a horrible condition.

But it ain't my business.

The money angle?  Outside of the mouth-music from twirps like the writer, I really don't see any particular effect on me.  Sorry, I just don't.  I see more impact on the cost of medical care from government involvement than from any particular group that uses medical services.

It wasn't fatzoids that have run medical costs up some three or four times faster than the overall inflation rate.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2006, 06:38:37 AM »
The writer is correct: other people's poor health habits cost him money in terms of higher taxes, higher health insurance premiums, etc.

Not really, look: 
Steve Paske of Milwaukee is a Milwaukee Public Schools teacher

Any idea of how good Wisconsin public school's teachers benifits are? They are to the point of being rediculous. A few years ago, teachers protesting the idea that they might have to pay a small deductable  or copay with a new health insurance plan that was in the works. They stopped writing letters of reccommendation for students trying to get into a good college to try to stick it to the taxpayers who are sick of paying $5000/year in property taxes.  Mr Paske has nothing to be indignant about when talking about how much his health insurance costs him.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2006, 06:40:38 AM »
And if someone were to go off in the wilderness and be fat and smoke I doubt he'd have a problem with it.  I know I wouldn't.  But that isnt what's happening.  And someone's bad habits become my problem when I have to pay for them.  Getting gov't out of the healthcare business is a great idea, but not likely to happen anytime soon.  At least a second best is to penalize those who don't take care of themselves on the gov't's tab.

"Two wrongs don't make a right".

I think I read that somewhere....
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2006, 06:51:27 AM »
richyoung is channelling Broken Paw.  Or vice versa.  Either way, it portends naught but the end of days.  Amen. 

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2006, 07:53:21 AM »
richyoung is channelling Broken Paw.  Or vice versa.  Either way, it portends naught but the end of days.  Amen.
Rich and I do not often agree.  When we do, it's fairly obvious that we're right.  Also fistful owes each of us one of his dollars.   grin

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

BakerMikeRomeo

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2006, 09:03:19 AM »
If he's so pissed about paying for the medical bills of fatties like me, why doesn't he just stop? Agitate for quit-making-me-pay-for-useless-people reform! Not freakin' likely, because when he busts his skinny little ass on his exercise bike, he wants the WaaaAAAAAAAAmbulance to come right away, whether his worthless rail-thin butt can pay for it or not.

~GnSx

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2006, 10:00:33 AM »

"Two wrongs don't make a right".

I think I read that somewhere....

"Dont shut the barn door after the horse is gone."  I read that too. And it has about as much relevance.
The issue is people letting themselves get into terrible condition and then letting the gov't pick up the tab for their negligence.  Option 1 for dealing with it is to get the gov't out of that business.  That isn't going to happen for all sorts of reasons, mostly political.  Option 2 is to tell people that if they won't take responsibility for their own health care costs then we're going to make them do it.  Why is that a problem?  If you take something from someone aren't you obligated to play by their rules?  Or do you think encouraging irresponsibility is good policy?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2006, 10:27:25 AM »
Where does it all end?

Should health insurance companies be able to take blood samples for genetic screening? They find that you have a recessive gene that will manifest itself as high cholesterol, another that will give you a 80% chance of prostate cancer when you are 60, and another that gives you a high propensity for type 2 diabetes when you are in your 50s- should they be able to deny you not ony health insurance, but life insurance as well?  What if you are 30 right now and in perfect health, but since you are predicted to have gloomy future, the insurance companies will only allow you the priviledge of paying their premiums for the next 10 years?

There are a lot of healthy people out there paying high premiums for many years, with the understanding that if they get sick, or have chronic health problems- including obesity, they will be covered later in life. Iknow of people that have put on weight because of respiratory problems related to their job, should they be denied insurance too even though they have paid for a health insurance policy for the last 20 years and have used it very little until their health went down the crapper?

I have a hard time buying into the idea that health insurance companies need to keep raising rates at a double digit rates every year when you drive through any mid to large size city in this country and the largest building in the city is more often than not an insurance building- built as a monument to themselves.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama