Author Topic: Sauerkraut  (Read 3805 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Sauerkraut
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2016, 10:14:40 AM »
Yeah, I know adding water is heretical.  I don't add much; maybe an ounce per quart.    It's not enough to mess up the salinity; at least I've had good luck with it, and so has my Louisiana friend, George.

If you have a crock, that's the way to do it.  A white plastic (food safe) bucket should be just as good; you should be able to get a used frosting bucket from a Walmart bakery or a pickle bucket from a sandwich shop real cheap.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2016, 06:15:23 PM »
Well, I pulled one of the mason jars to give it a try. Pretty darn good if I do say so myself.

Areas to improve for the Christmas batch that I'll start this week are 1) I think I used a little too much salt in this batch and 2) I will also cut down on the caraway seeds. I like the extra flavor they add, but I think I used twice as many as I should have and they are competing with the kraut flavor.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2016, 07:32:11 AM »
Caraway seeds are gross. I HATE sauerkraut with them.

It's far better to have too much salt than not enough. When you're using it you can always wash part of the kraut and then mix it in with unwashed to cut the salt.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.