Author Topic: Trump's position paper on the Second Amendment  (Read 2239 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Trump's position paper on the Second Amendment
« on: November 10, 2016, 08:07:31 PM »
https://assets.donaldjtrump.com/Second_Amendment_Rights.pdf

The text on background checks is a bit vague, and I have misgivings about entering mental health records into NICS, but overall it's pretty solid.  Support for national right to carry is especially good.

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Trump's position paper on the Second Amendment
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 08:21:12 PM »
I'm extra super duper curious how right to carry will work. I would love to see twenty million liberal Californians drop dead of a heart attack if it turns out CA has to honor my Utah non-resident permit and I can bypass the expensive and intrusive CA resident process.

I would hate to see it go "lowest common denominator" (or maybe in this case highest) by forcing all states to meet the standards of the states that require a long and complicated process.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 08:29:00 PM »
Also unsure how it would affect Constitutional carry.  Would a universal carry permit be required?
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 08:31:25 PM »
Ideally, any federal reciprocity law would not create or impose any standards whatsoever. It would basically rely on the full faith and credit provision already in the Constitution. State X gave you a permit to carry? Fine -- 49 other states can suck it up and honor it -- just like a driver's license.

It should not be referred to or discussed as "reciprocity." It should be universal "recognition." My state of residence is one of those that has no "reciprocity" with anyone. Nonetheless, there are maybe a half dozen states that unilaterally "recognize" and honor my permit, even though my state doesn't recognize theirs.

Of course, I also believe that any requirement for a permit to carry is unconstitutional on its face. Any permit requirement is an infringement, and is therefore facially in direct conflict with the Second Amendment.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 08:58:11 PM »
Let's not get all chubbed up on his 2A stuff. He's a democrat from a long-time anti-gun area and known for saying whatever he needs to to make a sale.

I assume he's going to slip some sort of gun control through a compliant congress just like a couple of other R presidents.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 11:15:54 PM »
Let's not get all chubbed up on his 2A stuff. He's a democrat from a long-time anti-gun area and known for saying whatever he needs to to make a sale.

I assume he's going to slip some sort of gun control through a compliant congress just like a couple of other R presidents.

I think it's more likely that he will not actively do anything for RKBA, but will not stand in the way if pro gun legislation comes across his desk.
I think any anti gun push he makes would be knee jerk to an event and only if it has substantial support in congress.

I don't think this because I think he is in anyway, shape or form pro gun, but because he'll want to keep his NRA backing for 2020 and his best policy would be to avoid touching the issue with a 20 foot pole. Not to mention that, given all the other crap that he'll be dealing with, RKBA is probably an afterthought issue.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 11:40:13 PM »
I recall reading that he said in the 90s? that gun bans won't work and only law-abiding citizens would be affected. A few sources are claiming he will pass the hearing protection act in his first 60 days. http://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/11/09/five-fast-gun-law-reforms-president-trump-will-make
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 11:58:47 PM »
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/11/10/will-election-result-influence-gun-industry/

Per the above:

1. Partial deregulation of suppressors is likely.

2. The "sporting purpose" language, especially where Chinese goods are concerned, isn't going away, because trade protectionism.

Morez:
https://www.nraila.org/articles/20161110/a-historic-election-night-for-the-second-amendment

https://www.thetrace.org/2016/11/nra-big-bets-election-2016-results/
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 12:47:35 AM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 08:26:00 AM »
I think many are underestimating how Trump may really be good for gunowners and the 2nd amendment. This is a CEO, not a politician. He will mostly likely put together a group to actually deal with this besides himself. Such as this one. His son is apparently a major 2nd amendment supporter and it looks like he is going to be the one driving the 2nd amendment agenda.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/11/03/trump-2nd-amendment-coalition/

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 08:30:15 AM »
Think about this as more and more states don't require a permit/license to carry, would states have to honor that?   
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

birdman

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 10:08:22 AM »
I think many are underestimating how Trump may really be good for gunowners and the 2nd amendment. This is a CEO, not a politician. He will mostly likely put together a group to actually deal with this besides himself. Such as this one. His son is apparently a major 2nd amendment supporter and it looks like he is going to be the one driving the 2nd amendment agenda.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/11/03/trump-2nd-amendment-coalition/

Apparently the same son also went to silencerco and shot a bunch of their cans...potential research to convince dear old dad...I mean, Mr. President?

Remember the obama with a shotgun @ camp David picture?

Who wants to see little trump doing 3-gun at camp David?  You think liberals need a safe space now?  LOL

JN01

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2016, 10:11:41 AM »

That sounds promising.  I wonder if he is assembling similar coalitions for other issues such as health care.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 10:13:38 AM »
Think about this as more and more states don't require a permit/license to carry, would states have to honor that?  

No.  But some of those states would probably offer an optional $15 state ID that doubles as a permit to carry, and other states would have to honor that.  I think Alaska already has something like that.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 10:30:51 AM »
No.  But some of those states would probably offer an optional $15 state ID that doubles as a permit to carry, and other states would have to honor that.  I think Alaska already has something like that.

AZ and ID as well.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2016, 10:31:44 AM »
That sounds promising. 

He's got some great names on there. Tom McClintock for one.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2016, 11:43:44 AM »

Unless something changed when I wasn't looking, the only state that doesn't offer any permit (mandatory or optional) is Vermont. Two possible routes:

• Vermont decides to issue permits to those who want one
  • The national recognition law is written to require other states to recognize the person's home state legal carry status. [This would be more complicated for out-of-state LEOs, for sure.]
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2016, 11:58:12 AM »

I actually believe he will follow through on his pro 2A agenda.
Why believe that?

Trump has not lived his life with the "aim" of being a politician, obtaining high honor of the presidency.  He's lived his life as a businessman, in New York City, a city full of liberals and democrats with whom he's had to do business, and play their game in order to do his business, get contracts, and ...so forth.  He didn't feel a need, most likely, to come up with some coherent "political agenda"  in order to sell voters (libs or conservatives) on his value as a political leader.
So he comes up pro 2A .... and therefor he must be "buying our votes,"  since of course he must realize that many of us out here in "fly-over country" have guns and are supporters of the 2A.  
I think it's deeper than that.
Both his sons are hunters, "gun people," and are pro 2A.  And family are great persuaders.  And I believe they HAVE persuaded him.
Plus, I think that behind Trump's coarse personality, rough edges, bluster, and womanizing ways, he is a smart person and he's learned the facts; GUN CONTROL DOES NOT WORK.  

Now,  can he make Mexico pay for the "wall??"  

That's another story indeed.....................
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

brimic

• friends
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2016, 12:02:31 PM »
The National reciprocity is a no-brainer- its simply affirming the 'Full faith and credit' clause.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2016, 12:32:22 PM »
That sounds promising.  I wonder if he is assembling similar coalitions for other issues such as health care.

I heard something to do with climate change, as in he got someone to lead that is a major climate change skeptic.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic