Author Topic: "The unbearable smugness of the press"  (Read 5661 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"The unbearable smugness of the press"
« on: November 10, 2016, 08:25:56 PM »
Not a surprising title except that it comes from a member of said press:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/commentary-the-unbearable-smugness-of-the-press-presidential-election-2016/

It shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone that, with a few exceptions, we were all tacitly or explicitly #WithHer, which has led to a certain anguish in the face of Donald Trump’s victory. More than that and more importantly, we also missed the story, after having spent months mocking the people who had a better sense of what was going on.

This is all symptomatic of modern journalism’s great moral and intellectual failing: its unbearable smugness. Had Hillary Clinton won, there’s be a winking “we did it” feeling in the press, a sense that we were brave and called Trump a liar and saved the republic.

Refreshingly honest.

Trump knew what he was doing when he invited his crowds to jeer and hiss the reporters covering him. They hate us, and have for some time.

And can you blame them? Journalists love mocking Trump supporters. We insult their appearances. We dismiss them as racists and sexists. We emote on Twitter about how this or that comment or policy makes us feel one way or the other, and yet we reject their feelings as invalid.

Our theme now should be humility. We must become more impartial, not less so. We have to abandon our easy culture of tantrums and recrimination. We have to stop writing these know-it-all, 140-character sermons on social media and admit that, as a class, journalists have a shamefully limited understanding of the country we cover.

From our perspective, the author is stating the obvious.  How many of his colleagues will take the hint?

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

JN01

• friend
Re: "The unbearable smugness of the press"
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 08:55:32 PM »
A freakish 2016 election cycle, Cubs win the Series, and a mainstream media reporter gets a clue-  must be the end times.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 06:34:51 AM »
From our perspective, the author is stating the obvious.  How many of his colleagues will take the hint?

<1%
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 06:52:07 AM »
And over at AP, they're crying about Trump not allowing pool reporters aboard his plane as he travels, nor is he publishing his schedule or meeting summaries.

https://apnews.com/22b62277e34b47008a760c660084968a

Gee . . . during the campaign the majority of the press behaves as if it's a Hillary Clinton Super Pac, and now they're surprised and offended that Trump isn't inviting them to follow his every move? Who could've seen this coming.  :facepalm:  :rofl:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 07:19:13 AM »
And over at AP, they're crying about Trump not allowing pool reporters aboard his plane as he travels, nor is he publishing his schedule or meeting summaries.

"Not allowing a pool of journalists to travel with and cover the next president of the United States is unacceptable."

Yeah, well you found everything about the man unacceptable for the past year and a half. Why should that change now?

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 11:45:34 AM »

Gee . . . during the campaign the majority of the press behaves as if it's a Hillary Clinton Super Pac, and now they're surprised and offended that Trump isn't inviting them to follow his every move? Who could've seen this coming.  :facepalm:  :rofl:

So, Ms. Reporter, how does it feel to be a "deplorable"?

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 11:56:40 AM »
Trump obviously understands the press is a hostile group.  As in his campaign, I expect that he will not be used and manipulated by them.  He will use them as a tool when and where it is to his advantage.

[popcorn]

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 12:09:29 PM »
In the darkest, dankest parts of the internet, I keep hearing the idea that Milo Yiannopoulos should be made White House Press Secretary. This needs to become a thing.
He forces people to choose between their precious deep seated Cog-Dis or their sanity. I think he would handle the press very well. >:D

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 12:23:38 PM »

Shockingly self-aware and insightful article. Probably the best one I've read post-election.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 12:32:10 PM »

It makes a shocking amount of sense to treat the press like he is. I have no understanding of why the press expects to be biased as hell and yet be given preferential treatment?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 12:32:47 PM »
Holy Wah!  A journalist doing journalism. [popcorn]
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2016, 12:43:00 PM »

What would be priceless would be for him to invite a small pool of independent bloggers, on the condition that they not release any information except through their own blogs.  Make the mainstream admit they had to find the news among some guy's cat memes.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 01:15:23 PM »
What would be priceless would be for him to invite a small pool of independent bloggers, on the condition that they not release any information except through their own blogs.  Make the mainstream admit they had to find the news among some guy's cat memes.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 02:28:44 PM »

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2016, 11:23:52 PM »
In the darkest, dankest parts of the internet, I keep hearing the idea that Milo Yiannopoulos should be made White House Press Secretary. This needs to become a thing.
He forces people to choose between their precious deep seated Cog-Dis or their sanity. I think he would handle the press very well. >:D

This would be brilliant. Every time there's a press conference Twitter would be blasted full of Milo quotes, and there wouldn't be a thing the could do about it. Plus, lets see them ban @pressec, or @whitehouse...

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2016, 11:28:57 PM »
Another reporter with a clue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLG9g7BcjKs

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2016, 11:50:46 PM »
This would be brilliant. Every time there's a press conference Twitter would be blasted full of Milo quotes, and there wouldn't be a thing the could do about it. Plus, lets see them ban @pressec, or @whitehouse...
The only problem is it would be about Milo, not Trump which is not exactly what it is about.

I would rather Milo keep doing what he is doing.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2016, 12:20:10 AM »

That has got to be the political cartoon of the decade.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2016, 04:24:48 AM »
Well, the nice is that with a R in the White House the press will start to be journalists again, and not cheer leaders.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2016, 11:19:59 AM »
Well, the nice is that with a R in the White House the press will start to be journalists again, and not cheer leaders.

Uhhh - no?  ???  You remember how professional they all were during the Bush years. They'll be cheer leaders; they just won't be cheer leaders for the opposition party.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2016, 12:37:03 PM »
In the aftermath, the New York Times is going to "rededicate" itself to honest reporting.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/11/12/new-york-times-publisher-vows-to-rededicate-itself-to-reporting-honestly.html

That sounds great, except that if you read Sulzberger's letter it doesn't come across as a genuine mea culpa, and it doesn't seem to acknowledge that their coverage was heavily biased in favor of HRC. In fact, he says that he believes they reported on both candidates fairly. So he still doesn't get it.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2016, 12:42:30 PM »
Another reporter with a clue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLG9g7BcjKs

Spot on.

Most people didn't vote for her not because she's a woman, they didn't vote for her because she offered no palpable change whatsoever.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2016, 08:02:13 PM »

Uhhh - no?  ???  You remember how professional they all were during the Bush years. They'll be cheer leaders; they just won't be cheer leaders for the opposition party.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.