Author Topic: Warming to Trump  (Read 7405 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Warming to Trump
« on: November 14, 2016, 03:25:06 PM »
I think Mr. Hannan captures the spirit of many of the Trump-skeptical conservatives:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/warming-to-trump/article/2607212

An odd thing has happened since last week. I've started warming to Donald Trump. Maybe it was his gracious acceptance speech or some of his appointments. Maybe it's that I want the best for America. But mainly, if I'm honest, it's the gibbering, drooling, pant-hooting rage of the other side.
Anyone outside that little virtue-signaling clique is bound to be pushed the other way. Plenty of moderate British conservatives, who until last week detested Trump, will find that their sympathy has been pricked. Stare long enough into the vortex of Twitter and you start to hear the Battle Hymn of the Republic swelling in your mind.

(The rest of the article is pretty good, too- especially the part when his 14 year old daughter hears Mrs. Clinton's appeal to women.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
Re: Warming to Trump
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 04:49:02 PM »
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 05:11:06 PM »
They say Americans love a winner.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 08:30:13 PM »
I think it is just the elation that Hillary did not win and the common attitude that everyone thinks their team will win the Superbowl in August (except Cleveland and Houston).  

What I was thinking a month ago is that Trump has the potential to be pretty good.  We'll see what we actually get.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 08:54:59 PM »
The people who claimed they weren’t for Trump so much as they were against Hillary have either jumped on board the Trump train or headed for the tall grass. If all these people were as pained by Trump being the only viable alternative to Hillary as they claimed, one would think that there would be less resistance to criticism now that he’s the president-elect. I’m all for giving Trump credit if and when he does something good, but I didn’t expect the reluctant supporters to view his victory as a baptism that expunged all concerns about his character or motives henceforth.

This is the part where I can't follow him. He should have provided some examples, because I have not seen this phenomenon. A lot of us reluctant supporters are thrilled - we're giddy! - that the "nasty woman" will never be president; and we're happy that, Trump or no, the Democrats are shut out of the House, Senate, and White House. Maybe that is what has this guy confused.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 09:30:43 AM »
I now find myself migrating from my FU vote to warming to Trump. I've been very impressed with the "shift to Presidential" that he's taken since election night. I've also been reading a bunch of his position papers and have become more impressed with his plan.

I could argue about some of his "softening" on some key points, but every candidate ends up doing that, and so far, his "softening" looks like part of a logical overall plan to get things done and reduce "we're going to block everything you do" stuff from the other side. On immigration, for example, focusing on deporting illegals who have committed additional crimes is to me, the smart thing to do. It's hard for the progressives to argue about deporting violent felons vs "they're just trying to make a living" illegals. The latter category can be dealt with at a later date, with tools ranging from anything from deportation to assimilation through changes in immigration law. They may even self-reduce if Trump brings jobs back to the US and reduces the availability of jobs that illegals target. Also if he cuts freebies that bring people over the border, plus keeps Mexico from dumping Central Americans in our backyard.

So far I don't have much of a problem with his cabinet and other choices, though I just saw he wants Rudy Gulliani as SECSTATE. I have nothing against Rudy, but I was really hoping for someone like John Bolton in that role.

One thing that is bothering me right now is what, at least via the media reporting, appears to be a bit too much nepotism. He has three of his kids plus a son in law on his executive committee for staff and cabinet appointments. He also apparently just asked for TS clearances for those four people. He may be doing the latter to avoid being accused of what Clinton did with sharing TS stuff from everyone from her staff to her maid. Otherwise though, I'm not keen on turning the presidency into a family affair. I've always said that we elect a president, and the First Lady should be in the kitchen or the First Gentleman should be out mowing the lawn. I only voted for the one person.

ETA: I just saw that Trump has KT McFarland as part of his security committee. He's surrounding himself with some top notch people. That's a good sign to me that he's also going to listen to them.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 10:33:12 AM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 11:05:40 AM »
So far I don't have much of a problem with his cabinet and other choices, though I just saw he wants Rudy Gulliani as SECSTATE. I have nothing against Rudy, but I was really hoping for someone like John Bolton in that role.

I have grave reservations about his naming Rinse Preebus as his chief of staff. Preebus (yeas, I know I'm spelling it wrong, but I don't know how to spell it correctly and he doesn't merit my looking it up) spent most of the election cycle leading the RNC in trying to sabotage Trump's campaign. It's very disappointing to see the shithead named to a senior position in the administration. My only hope is that Trump put his there so he can keep an eye on him.

One thing that is bothering me right now is what, at least via the media reporting, appears to be a bit too much nepotism. He has three of his kids plus a son in law on his executive committee for staff and cabinet appointments. He also apparently just asked for TS clearances for those four people. He may be doing the latter to avoid being accused of what Clinton did with sharing TS stuff from everyone from her staff to her maid. Otherwise though, I'm not keen on turning the presidency into a family affair. I've always said that we elect a president, and the First Lady should be in the kitchen or the First Gentleman should be out mowing the lawn. I only voted for the one person.

Agreed on the first lady. JFK named his brother as Attorney General. I was young enough then that I didn't pay a lot of [ahem ... "any"] attention to what the AG was doing, but I don't recall any complaints that Bobby wasn't qualified or that he did a horrible job. In this case, he hasn't named his kids to senior positions, he's just formalizing the reality that they were central in his victory so he's naturally going to want to talk to them about where he goes next.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 11:25:27 AM »
I have grave reservations about his naming Rinse Preebus as his chief of staff. Preebus (yeas, I know I'm spelling it wrong, but I don't know how to spell it correctly and he doesn't merit my looking it up) spent most of the election cycle leading the RNC in trying to sabotage Trump's campaign. It's very disappointing to see the shithead named to a senior position in the administration. My only hope is that Trump put his there so he can keep an eye on him.

I think Reince did get onboard the Trump Train once Trump got the nomination. Trump might be keeping his enemies close...
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 11:28:46 AM »
From what I have heard, one or two of his kids are pro-guns so I don't have a big issue with them having some involvement.  IMO, if one of us suddenly found ourselves in a position like that, we would want the people we trust to be involved whether they were in official cabinet positions or not.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 11:29:38 AM »
I think Reince did get onboard the Trump Train once Trump got the nomination. Trump might be keeping his enemies close...
If it makes it easier to get his agenda passed through Congress, that will be a help.  He does need some people who know how to navigate that stuff. 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 12:01:12 PM »
Agreed on the first lady. JFK named his brother as Attorney General. I was young enough then that I didn't pay a lot of [ahem ... "any"] attention to what the AG was doing, but I don't recall any complaints that Bobby wasn't qualified or that he did a horrible job. In this case, he hasn't named his kids to senior positions, he's just formalizing the reality that they were central in his victory so he's naturally going to want to talk to them about where he goes next.

You think the Kennedy's have to follow the rules?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 12:05:41 PM »
If it makes it easier to get his agenda passed through Congress, that will be a help.  He does need some people who know how to navigate that stuff.  

Not being a big Priebus fan, I was thinking along these same lines. Strategic planning. I'm guessing there will be "Chenney" and "Rove" comparisons from the left no matter who is in that position.

On the kids, I understand the sons are very pro gun and I like that for myself, but recognize that if family stuff in the presidency is overdone, outcries about nepotism can negatively affect the agenda. We always get mad when Chelsea Clinton is involved with stuff, and I assume the other side will bring Trump's kids up a lot if they are "overly involved" in national decisions. There is probably a way that he can involve with kids (only in stuff they are qualified for) by using careful job descriptions.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 12:21:57 PM »
Involving his children so much also goes against his attempt to avoid conflict of interest.
"Trump will sever all connections and put his assets into a blind trust, leaving them for his three oldest children — Donald Jr., Ivanka and Eric — to manage."
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 12:56:52 PM »
My only hope is that Trump put his there so he can keep an eye on him.

WH Chief of Staff is designated scapegoat for quite a few things.  Trump might just be the first to pick someone he doesn't like for that spot.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2016, 05:32:36 PM »
Right now, the kids are only part of his transition team.  I would guess that once 20 Jan rolls around, they will go back to running the Trump conglomeration.

And they probably do need some clearances to discuss with potential nominee's as to the depth and breath of what is going on in that area.

My understanding of the way Trump runs his business, is the he:
1.  Finds Great People for that job.
2.  He tells them what he wants the end product to look like.
3.  He turns them loose to accomplish the goal(s) he laid out.
4.  He listens, carefully, to the advice and recommendations of those people, and adjusts accordingly.

I highly doubt that he will change that process.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2016, 08:55:41 PM »
4.  He listens, carefully, to the advice and recommendations of those people, and adjusts accordingly.

Which is really what a leader/executive is supposed to do.  If he delegates effectively and holds people accountable, he will be okay.  Don't be surprised if some of those are replaced later if Trump is holding them accountable.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2016, 10:20:07 PM »
After bobby kennedy got ag in jfks administration the congress passed an antinepotism rule.  It may only apply to caninet posts though.  So you wont see trump jr as secdef and ivanka as secstate.

For my own part i think giuliani perfect for secstate.  Never trusted him 100pct on the domestic front.  But unleashing the pitbull prosecutor on the rest of the world is fine with me.  Go get em rudy.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

zahc

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2016, 10:34:11 PM »
Which is really what a leader/executive is supposed to do.  If he delegates effectively and holds people accountable, he will be okay.  Don't be surprised if some of those are replaced later if Trump is holding them accountable.

QFT. Hardest part of management is firing. You have relatively little ability to predict how people will perform ahead of time, so firing is actually at least as important as hiring.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2016, 11:29:33 PM »

People said W had the same management style.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2016, 06:09:04 AM »

People said W had the same management style.

Turns out that Bush's goal was to destabilize the middle east on a fools errand to make the world "safe for democracy".

He also let the Dems control and call the shots on the domestic front.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2016, 10:56:00 AM »
Looks like the TS clearance for his kids was a lie. I need to remember to often wait at least 24 hours after stuff is reported to find out the real story.

http://twitchy.com/loriz-3139/2016/11/16/busted-president-elect-trump-thumps-media-new-york-times-for-yet-more-lies-journos-flip-out/

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2016, 06:43:38 PM »
Looks like the TS clearance for his kids was a lie. I need to remember to often wait at least 24 hours after stuff is reported to find out the real story.

http://twitchy.com/loriz-3139/2016/11/16/busted-president-elect-trump-thumps-media-new-york-times-for-yet-more-lies-journos-flip-out/

Fake news from Facebook?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2016, 07:00:37 PM »

Fake news from Facebook?

IIRC, it was the NYT that reported that. So yeah, fake fake news. :)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2016, 02:31:58 AM »
And simply having a clearance doesn't mean you get to know everything.  I had a TS, but the only TS piece of info I knew about was one of the potential Lance Missile Launch sites in my AO.   It was one of 10-15 they had for each firing battery.

I know MP's down at Pirmesans and Fischbach all had Secret clearances, but none of them knew what was in any of the bunkers, other than "Nukes" or "Chemical Shells" but everyone knew that.

But yeah, I'm not listening to any appointments in the news, until it comes from Trump's mouth.  But it is fun watching the MSM get the vapors, and head to the fainting couch over every alleged pick.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.