Author Topic: Warming to Trump  (Read 7404 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Warming to Trump
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2016, 07:28:16 AM »
And simply having a clearance doesn't mean you get to know everything.  I had a TS, but the only TS piece of info I knew about was one of the potential Lance Missile Launch sites in my AO.   It was one of 10-15 they had for each firing battery.

I know MP's down at Pirmesans and Fischbach all had Secret clearances, but none of them knew what was in any of the bunkers, other than "Nukes" or "Chemical Shells" but everyone knew that.

You don't get it, Scout. The Left is very concerned - fanatically concerned - with protecting classified information. Why do you think they backed Hillary Clinton, except to ensure that the nation's classified intelligence was in safe hands?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2016, 03:54:54 PM »
the MSM get the vapors, and head to the fainting couch over every alleged pick.

The circus continues today with Petraeus as a possible Secretary of State. :O I would agree with the tweeter that Trump is just trolling at this point but the article doesn't actually say he's being considered by Trump, just that he wants the job.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2016, 05:36:10 PM »
After bobby kennedy got ag in jfks administration the congress passed an antinepotism rule.  It may only apply to caninet posts though.  So you wont see trump jr as secdef and ivanka as secstate.

For my own part i think giuliani perfect for secstate.  Never trusted him 100pct on the domestic front.  But unleashing the pitbull prosecutor on the rest of the world is fine with me.  Go get em rudy.

Rudy for SecState would be okay.  Ambassador to the UN would be okay.  AG is not okay.

I heard something today about Rick Perry for Dept of Energy -- maybe because he wanted to dismantle it 5 years ago.
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2016, 05:45:02 PM »
Rudy for SecState would be okay.  Ambassador to the UN would be okay.  AG is not okay.

Rudy is not okay for SecState. Too much "consulting" work for foreign governments. He wouldn't be coming to the job with clean hands.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2016, 05:47:35 PM »
And simply having a clearance doesn't mean you get to know everything.  I had a TS, but the only TS piece of info I knew about was one of the potential Lance Missile Launch sites in my AO.   It was one of 10-15 they had for each firing battery.

That's the way it's supposed to be. I only had a Secret, but it worked the same way. Even with the clearance, that's only clearance to see what you need to know. If you don't have a need to know, your TS clearance doesn't give you carte blanche to look at anything you want.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2016, 06:04:20 PM »
Rudy for SecState would be okay.  Ambassador to the UN would be okay.

Isn't there some volatile third world dump that needs an ambassador?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2016, 06:06:03 PM »
Isn't there some volatile third world dump that needs an ambassador?

The UN?  (I thought I said that) ;)
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2016, 06:09:56 PM »
That's the way it's supposed to be. I only had a Secret, but it worked the same way. Even with the clearance, that's only clearance to see what you need to know. If you don't have a need to know, your TS clearance doesn't give you carte blanche to look at anything you want.

That's the way it's supposed to work for regular people. Even if Trump got TS clearances for his kids,  I don't believe (hope) he would misuse them. However setting a precedent for people with no real need for a clearance in the first place would be bad. Could you imagine if Hillary, going semi-legit, got one for Chelsea? I guarantee "need to know" would not go through the same accountability steps as for the little people.

Too many people have clearances these days to begin with. I have to blame Bush for that one. After 9/11 they were handing them out to everyone and his brother. If you really want to keep stuff secret, don't tell so many people, vs telling them not to tell.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2016, 06:11:24 PM »

I heard something today about Rick Perry for Dept of Energy -- maybe because he wanted to dismantle it 5 years ago.

Sadly, I saw this morning that Rand Paul came out vehemently against John Bolton for the SECSTATE role. I would have thought those two had some common ground.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2016, 06:15:33 PM »

My wife had a Secret clearance, or maybe it was TS, a few years before we got married when she worked for Lockheed*.  Something to do with the Space program.  She was amazed a couple of days ago when she saw on the Science TV channel and they were blabbing about stuff that she worked on -- and still probably can't talk about.

*a week or two after she started work, some wiseguy told her to go check with whomever to see if her clearance was back yet.  So she did, and of course was chewed out for wasting his time because they never come back that fast.  "Since I'm here, could you at least check"  He did, reluctantly, and there it was.  "What are you, a Sunday School teacher?"  "Well, as a matter of fact..."   :rofl:
"It's good, though..."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2016, 06:21:35 PM »
That's the way it's supposed to work for regular people. Even if Trump got TS clearances for his kids,  I don't believe (hope) he would misuse them. However setting a precedent for people with no real need for a clearance in the first place would be bad. Could you imagine if Hillary, going semi-legit, got one for Chelsea?

It would make more sense than pretending close family members wouldn't overhear anything they shouldn't in a four year period.

Not saying that it should necessarily clear them to intentionally receive anything, but rather to ensure that they have received training in case dad mumbles something while dozing in the recliner.  One could argue that his family already has a lot more experience than most with sensitive information that they each have a personal financial stake in protecting, though, so they're probably not going to be an issue anyway.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2016, 06:30:22 PM »
If you don't have a need to know, your TS clearance doesn't give you carte blanche to look at anything you want.

Well, duh. If you want carte blanche, you hack into Clinton's server.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2016, 09:01:41 PM »
Sadly, I saw this morning that Rand Paul came out vehemently against John Bolton for the SECSTATE role. I would have thought those two had some common ground.

Rand Paul is becoming increasingly annoying. He's like a jack-in-the-box. Open the top, and a head pops out and makes noises.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2016, 04:23:09 AM »
My wife had a Secret clearance, or maybe it was TS, a few years before we got married when she worked for Lockheed*.  Something to do with the Space program.  She was amazed a couple of days ago when she saw on the Science TV channel and they were blabbing about stuff that she worked on -- and still probably can't talk about.

*a week or two after she started work, some wiseguy told her to go check with whomever to see if her clearance was back yet.  So she did, and of course was chewed out for wasting his time because they never come back that fast.  "Since I'm here, could you at least check"  He did, reluctantly, and there it was.  "What are you, a Sunday School teacher?"  "Well, as a matter of fact..."   :rofl:

While on instructor duty at Subschool I had to get a TS/SCI. I'd heard from several folks I'd stayed in touch with back home that they'd been interviewed about me for my clearance. Months and months (16) went by. Getting seriously frustrated with the delay I went to talk to the E6 SSO clerk to find out what  the delay was. He told me that because I was married to foreign national that refused to get naturalized they probably would deny my clearance and might even revoke my secret clearance which would disqual me from subs. Being that my wife is native born US citizen I was a bit confused.  Seems that the LT and the E6 clerk were under the impression that I had married  a Filipina hooker on one of my Westpac deployments and that offended the SSO LT. Seems she didn't approve of such arrangement.  She also was a bit disproving of me asking her clerk if he was *expletive deleted*ing retarded. They'd sat on it for almost a year for that till I raised hell about it and set them straight. Not so much as a hint of an apology but I was read in 3 days later.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2016, 05:02:49 AM »
While on instructor duty at Subschool I had to get a TS/SCI. I'd heard from several folks I'd stayed in touch with back home that they'd been interviewed about me for my clearance. Months and months (16) went by. Getting seriously frustrated with the delay I went to talk to the E6 SSO clerk to find out what  the delay was. He told me that because I was married to foreign national that refused to get naturalized they probably would deny my clearance and might even revoke my secret clearance which would disqual me from subs. Being that my wife is native born US citizen I was a bit confused.  Seems that the LT and the E6 clerk were under the impression that I had married  a Filipina hooker on one of my Westpac deployments and that offended the SSO LT. Seems she didn't approve of such arrangement.  She also was a bit disproving of me asking her clerk if he was *expletive deleted*ing retarded. They'd sat on it for almost a year for that till I raised hell about it and set them straight. Not so much as a hint of an apology but I was read in 3 days later.

Further evidence of the virtually unlimited power of pissant, petty pencil pushers.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2016, 09:37:33 PM »
Dear Buddha, I want a pony and a plastic rocket and James Mattis as SECDEF.

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-11-18/trump-said-to-consider-two-former-generals-for-defense-secretary

Oh, and tell the R senators to shut their pie holes and get on board with passing Trump's 100 day legislation and USSC and judge nominees.  The D's used the "Nuclear Option" on you.  Time to use it back.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2016, 10:36:27 PM »

I heard Mattis mentioned this morning and was waiting for you to post something.  :laugh:

I think it would be an awesome choice as well. Both via qualifications and as icing on the cake, hippie tears.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Warming to Trump
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2016, 12:11:15 AM »

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-11-18/trump-said-to-consider-two-former-generals-for-defense-secretary

Oh, and tell the R senators to shut their pie holes and get on board with passing Trump's 100 day legislation and USSC and judge nominees.  The D's used the "Nuclear Option" on you.  Time to use it back.
Never forget...trump is just a clinton plant.  His campain is just a clever ruse and he will never be elected.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2016, 06:08:18 AM »

Having filled out that paperwork, how the hell could they think that?  You would have identified her citizenship either on the paperwork or in the web application, which they can see.

And to be read in in only 3 days, they would have been having to sit on the approval.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2016, 10:15:48 PM »
Having filled out that paperwork, how the hell could they think that?  You would have identified her citizenship either on the paperwork or in the web application, which they can see.

And to be read in in only 3 days, they would have been having to sit on the approval.

That department was a hot bed of dirty dealing, backstabbing, *expletive deleted*ck your buddy to get ahead skullduggery. It was suggested that letting it go was the best option for my career.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2016, 04:52:38 AM »
Further evidence of the virtually unlimited power of pissant, petty pencil pushers.

"Because I'm the 'petty functionary' with a clipboard, bitch."

REF:
Big Bang Theory, the theater fills up just before Sheldon Cooper and friends get to the entrance.  17 seconds.
https://youtu.be/ofIhpf5unwQ
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.