Author Topic: Melania Trump Worse for Fashion than Clinton  (Read 4821 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Melania Trump Worse for Fashion than Clinton
« on: November 19, 2016, 11:34:01 AM »
I guess this should be in politics, but it's too stupid to be.

The NYT is in a lather about how Melania Trump, former fashion model, will be bad for the fashion industry, and Hillary Clinton, who cornered the pantsuit market, would have been a fashion icon.

They are especially upset that Melania apparently buys much of her clothes off the rack. Somehow this will tank the custom fashion industry.

Can the world get any more bizarro?

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016/11/18/new-york-times-in-tizzy-over-melania-trumps-fashion-choices-seriously.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Melania Trump Worse for Fashion than Clinton
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 11:44:40 AM »
The media moguls can choose the oddest and most meaningless things to obsess over many times.
Eight years of Obama,  ISIS,  Syria in a civil war, Libya in tatters thanks to Obama & Hillary....Russia taking Crimea and on the rise,  CHina  building fortified islands off their coast......and womens'  fashion  is what's  "above the fold."
Good grief. 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 11:54:34 AM »
Oh, but it gets better. So much better.

Remember how it was the height of bigotry for religious objectors to decline to participate in a gay wedding? But now it's brave to decline to sell Melania Trump a dress.

http://thefederalist.com/2016/11/18/refusing-serve-customers-dont-agree-suddenly-cool/

There have also been articles about how all the hip, young people are going to flee D.C., now, since fed.gov won't be cool anymore. And another article about all the up-and-coming women that were in line for plum jobs in the new Clinton administration. AND NOW IT'S ALL RUINED!!  :'(
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 12:27:26 PM »
I could care less about fashion for the most part, but my bosses do pay some attention to it and enjoy discussing the fashion of certain famous woman.
And they both *love* Melania, even Katie who was in the Hilary camp. Louise is probably still bitching that they didn't show what Melania was wearing the day Trump visited the White House on the news.
This isn't going to have any effect on the brands of High Fashion, since the vast majority of woman who care what the first lady wears can't afford High Fashion brands anyway and are already buying clothes off the rack. The woman who can (and do) wear High Fashion brands are still going to wear those brands because they can and because it's still a status symbol regardless of what the hell Melania wears.
However, the politics of what the Trump ladies (Ivanka gets a lot of credit on this as well) wear *is* very effective and will give a real boost to sales of those clothing lines. If they wore High Fashion, it wouldn't affect anything, but buy wearing "off the rack" it will boost clothing sales.

Somebody just wants an excuse to bitch and has made up a BS reason to do so.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 12:29:11 PM »
So it's just another free-market economic stimulus from the Trump presidency.  =)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 12:32:18 PM »
So it's just another free-market economic stimulus from the Trump presidency.  =)

Yep, pretty much.

And how dare the oppressed and stupid woman of middle America want to look pretty without spending a fortune. Shame on them!
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be infringed.
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 12:59:39 PM »
bluestarlizzard remarked,
Somebody just wants an excuse to bitch get some column-inches and has made up a BS reason to do so.

In sum:

MELANIA BREAKS FINGERNAIL !

Nail polish industry faces potential drop in profits !

(Washington DC ) The new First-Lady-Elect, former model and recent (2006) U.S. citizen Melania Trump broke a fingernail yesterday, according to reliable sources.  "This bodes ill for our entire industry, including our suppliers," John Shinytips, President of the Association of Nail Polish Manufacturers (ANPM), said in a response to the tragedy....

I can't go on...  Time for my noony nappy anyhow.   :old:

Terry

« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 01:19:48 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 01:26:06 PM »
blustarlizzard remarked,
In sum:

MELANIA BREAKS FINGERNAIL !

Nail polish industry faces potential drop in profits !

It's not really even that their point is that she would somehow be "bad" for the fashion industry. Moire like bad for the commie designers that already said they would refuse to serve her (which is their choice -- she's not refusing to do business with them). They actually said (with a straight face) that Clinton would be more fashionable than Melania. That's like saying Michael Moore has more fashion sense than James Bond.

If anything, if she's buying off the rack, she's supporting businesses that serve middle America, and not just the 1%. If some primadonna designers refuse to design for her, I bet there are a hundred up and commers who would love a chance at success. Once again the Trumps help small business, while people like Michelle Obama only deal with the 1% of fashion designers, while talking about how the little people can't afford to put clothes on their backs.

Anyway, the NYT et al found themselves some killer drugs.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 01:53:52 PM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 01:50:36 PM »
Hell, she doesn't need any designers to pull off looking more "fashionable" than Michelle.

She has the body type that the vast majority of woman's clothing is designed on. She actually can walk into a store and walk out with clothing that fits perfectly or nearly perfectly, which is the bigger factor in the way clothes look. Melania could easily get away with nothing more than clothes bought at outlets and a tailor to adjust little things here and there and she'd still come off looking more high dollar than most.

*shrug* I'm not even being critical of anyone when I'm pointing this out. Michelle could be the nicest person in all the world and she still would need designers and custom clothing to pull off what Melania can pull off in her sleep.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 03:09:22 PM »
The article is just pointless.  However, there needs to be some sort of law that allows any business to refuse service to any person or group they want.  I don't really care who they refuse service to.  At least it is all out in the open then.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 06:53:52 PM »
The article is just pointless.  However, there needs to be some sort of law that allows any business to refuse service to any person or group they want.  I don't really care who they refuse service to.  At least it is all out in the open then.

No, we need to repeal some laws.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2016, 07:20:47 PM »
She really should have a talk with her girls. Her dress, It looks like she bought it in a store.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2016, 07:23:46 PM »
She really should have a talk with her girls. Her dress, It looks like she bought it in a store.

and this thread is done with a bedlamite win.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2016, 08:13:13 PM »
Melania would look good in carharts. She's going to kick the fashionistas in the ass while Donald is kicking the liberal establishment. I'll just watch and enjoy.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2016, 08:52:59 PM »
Louise is probably still bitching that they didn't show what Melania was wearing the day Trump visited the White House on the news.

Sure they did. There were photos of Melania sitting down with Michele.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2016, 12:18:31 AM »

http://www.instyle.com/news/hillary-clinton-colorful-pantsuits-style

Clinton may be limited in silhouette, but she has the freedom to choose from a rainbow of colors.
  :lol:

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be infringed.
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2016, 03:11:57 AM »

There  ya go.  One hundred percent agreement.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2016, 11:56:00 AM »
First Ladies of France, Spain, and USA.

(may be a composite image . . . )
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 05:19:51 PM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2016, 01:31:21 PM »
I'm thinking the current first ladies weight has fluctuated a bit in the last eight years. In some photos she looks absolutely yuge in others she looks pretty normal for a taller, bigger boned woman.

A week or so I was at a friends and they were watching Jimmy Fallon clips. There was a clip where Mrs.Obama was doing the history of hip hop dances; she looked like she was in pretty decent shape, certainly not out of proportion at all.

Our soon to be first lady is just unusually smokin' hot, not too many women would stack up well against her in the just looks dept.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2016, 02:21:52 PM »

Yeah, you are correct.  The best way to start is get rid of the non-discrimination laws that generate most of the lawsuits and rulings.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2016, 07:31:06 AM »
http://thefederalist.com/2016/11/09/melania-trumps-white-pantsuit-proves-queen-fashion-trolling/

In which Bre Payton theorizes that the Trump women are trolling Hillary Clinton and anti-Trumpers with their fashion choices.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2016, 09:12:16 AM »
http://thefederalist.com/2016/11/09/melania-trumps-white-pantsuit-proves-queen-fashion-trolling/

In which Bre Payton theorizes that the Trump women are trolling Hillary Clinton and anti-Trumpers with their fashion choices.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to think that Ivanka was trolling Clinton's 1993 dress.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2016, 09:42:34 AM »
I think it's a bit of a stretch to think that Ivanka was trolling Clinton's 1993 dress.

You don't understand Ivanka. She's inside Hillary's OODA loop!!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2016, 12:54:43 AM »
Now this is just beautiful. Trump has taken away the fashion fascists' Christmas (as if they had one).   :laugh:

http://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2016/12/03/fashion-industry-in-crisis-mode-after-trump-victory/

As Twitchy reported back in mid-November, the fashion industry found itself along with much of the world angry, heartbroken, and in crisis after Donald Trump won the 2016 election.

The New York Times, for example, noted that the fashion industry suddenly found itself having to “wrestle with what happens next: how it defines itself if it is marginalized — reduced to mere decoration — in a Trump administration, and whether there will be repercussions for either its pledge of allegiance to the president-elect’s opponent or some of the more angry postelection statements designers have made on social media.”

Those dire expectations are beginning to be realized, as the Los Angeles Times reports that while Donald Trump enjoys a costume party on Long Island, the annual holiday party for the fashion industry hosted by publicist James La Force and his husband, writer Stephen Henderson, has been cancelled.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 12:27:43 PM by fistful »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2016, 09:17:13 AM »
On a slight tangent, I have to say I have respect for one of these people. I forget his name, but he made the lead on Fox News last week (gossip as the lead is a whole nother subject). The headline made it look like he was another "I hate Melina" fashion snob.

What he actually said in the story is that he'd prefer not dress ANY First lady, and that none of the other "high fashion" designers should. Reason being, pretty much every president talks about being "one of the people" and a proponent of the middle class. Having the First Lady prance around in $10,000 dresses doesn't exactly reflect that philosophy. Another reason why props should go to Melania for "buying off the rack".

Of course even the EBT people oohed and awed everytime Michelle Obama was in some expensive dress that could feed a family of four for a year, so maybe not...  =|