Author Topic: The old "We're out of gas" ploy  (Read 2556 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: The old "We're out of gas" ploy
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2016, 04:01:51 PM »
Our CASM is 9.73 cents per available seat mile.  MSY to BOS is 1,448 statute miles, according to FlightAware.

So, it costs us (.0973 * 1,448) $140.89 to fly one seat from MSY to BOS.  We plan an average passenger weight of 195, IIRC.  So, to fly a 200 pound person from New Orleans to Boston costs us $141.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2016, 04:15:42 PM »
Our CASM is 9.73 cents per available seat mile.  MSY to BOS is 1,448 statute miles, according to FlightAware.

So, it costs us (.0973 * 1,448) $140.89 to fly one seat from MSY to BOS.  We plan an average passenger weight of 195, IIRC.  So, to fly a 200 pound person from New Orleans to Boston costs us $141.

Ah, I've been assuming the fuel prices are listed in $/pound while they may be listed in $/gallon (there is no designation on the site I found.)

If it's $/gal, the prices are much lower than the math I used- to the point that 300 pounds would cost about $400, which is FAR more believable and more in line with your cost per seat. (Though still high. Your contracts must get a much better price than the spot price)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2016, 04:51:52 PM »
Ah, I've been assuming the fuel prices are listed in $/pound while they may be listed in $/gallon (there is no designation on the site I found.)

If it's $/gal, the prices are much lower than the math I used- to the point that 300 pounds would cost about $400, which is FAR more believable and more in line with your cost per seat. (Though still high. Your contracts must get a much better price than the spot price)

Yes, prices are per gallon.  I have no idea what price we pay, but I'm sure it isn't BOS spot price, which is the highest in the US last time I checked.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2016, 06:44:24 PM »
Just looked at today's info.  To carry 1,000 pounds of extra fuel, it will cost 227 pounds of extra burn.