Author Topic: Slager trial  (Read 14151 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Slager trial
« on: December 02, 2016, 11:09:21 PM »
It's gonna be interesting no matter how it goes. Surprised only one but they saw and heard more than me. Strong appeals groundwork laid though so it could go on for a while

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/michael-slager-trial-jury-deadlock-walter-scott-case/?client=ms-android-att-us

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

De Selby

• friend
Re: Slager trial
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 02:46:32 AM »
The video makes out an indefensible case.  If the jury hangs because of one fool, they'll retry him and have a conviction.

He carefully took aim and shot a running man in the back.  He's not going home any time soon.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

• friends
Re: Re: Slager trial
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 05:36:57 AM »
The video makes out an indefensible case.  If the jury hangs because of one fool, they'll retry him and have a conviction.

He carefully took aim and shot a running man in the back.  He's not going home any time soon.
He's home now
In real life I mean not in your world

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 09:19:13 AM »
He's home now
In real life I mean not in your world

Out on bail is not the same as being found not guilty.   :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 02:36:54 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

• friends
Re:
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 02:05:15 PM »
He's home with his new born. Not in a cell. My experience is different than yours but I would call that home.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 02:56:23 PM »
That video is pretty hard to refute. I'm more than a little surprised the one hold-out juror wouldn't even go for the manslaughter charge.

There will almost certainly be another trial. Slager would, IMHO, be smart to take a plea on the manslaughter charge, because there's a good chance the next jury will convict him of murder.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

• friends
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 05:07:34 PM »
That video is pretty hard to refute. I'm more than a little surprised the one hold-out juror wouldn't even go for the manslaughter charge.

There will almost certainly be another trial. Slager would, IMHO, be smart to take a plea on the manslaughter charge, because there's a good chance the next jury will convict him of murder.
Beyond the video how much are you familiar with?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 05:36:25 PM »

Maybe he won't make it to a second trial. 
"It's good, though..."

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 06:24:43 PM »
At the risk of being cliche, the video misleading.

Keep in mind the video is the very tail end of a minute-long fight during which the black man tased the cop.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2016, 06:42:45 PM »

Keep in mind the video is the very tail end of a minute-long fight during which the black man tased the cop.

Of course the video is misleading and doesn't show what happened before.  But does that matter?  I'm serious.  It shows the cop shooting a man in the back as he runs away, then he walk out-of-frame back towards his patrol car and comes back and drops something (presumably the Taser) next to the body.  

The part that we are missing is the fight beforehand, which if it really took place might make Slager really pissed and want to kill Scott because he obviously deserves it.  Or else there was no fight and Slager murdered Scott for some other reason (because he's black?)  It's a lot easier for me to believe race had little to do with it, and Slager murdered Scott out of rage -- and because he knew he'd get away with it cuz he's a cop and knows how to lie.

eta:  no real need to use that word...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 10:19:52 PM by scout26 »
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2016, 06:46:46 PM »
Beyond the video how much are you familiar with?

Nothing.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2016, 09:18:35 PM »

Uh, what circumstances could even in theory justify the shooting on the video?

Then there was the part where he so obviously lied about what happened that the investigators were scratching their heads at the scene.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2016, 10:01:31 PM »
Of course the video is misleading and doesn't show what happened before.  But does that matter?  I'm serious.  It shows the cop shooting a man in the back as he runs away, then he walk out-of-frame back towards his patrol car and comes back and drops something (presumably the Taser) next to the body.  

The part that we are missing is the fight beforehand, which if it really took place might make Slager really pissed and want to kill Scott because he obviously deserves it.  Or else there was no fight and Slager murdered Scott for some other reason (because he's a *let's not go there*?)  It's a lot easier for me to believe race had little to do with it, and Slager murdered Scott out of rage -- and because he knew he'd get away with it cuz he's a cop and knows how to lie.
Are you in favor of convicting a man based on your suspicions?  

I would be curious what the testimony was of the guy who took the video.  What did he see before that?  I don't think you can look at the one moment in isolation.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2016, 10:26:58 PM »
As I've pointed out before, once Scott breaks contact and begins to run away, he is unarmed and not a threat to anyone in the immediate vicinity.

Yes, he may have just fought with a cop for a minute or more.  But you can't use deadly force on someone, anyone, no longer an immediate threat.

That's why you have Motorola.

The bad thing is that crap like this just encourages people to resist even more.  Once the officer says "you're under arrest", then it's game over.  Shut up and cooperate.  As our resident tilecrawlers will tell everyone; Argue in court, not on the street.  It's hard to beat the rap if you are dead.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2016, 10:43:04 PM »
Are you in favor of convicting a man based on your suspicions?  

I would be curious what the testimony was of the guy who took the video.  What did he see before that?  I don't think you can look at the one moment in isolation.

That moment in isolation is so crystal clear, what happened before is irrelevant -- as are my suspicions.  There was no possible justification for the shooting.  And Slager knew it; that's why he planted evidence at the scene and lied about it.

Maybe it's time to up the ante.  The feds could try him for deprivation of civil rights under color of law and seek the death penalty. 
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2016, 11:00:49 PM »
That moment in isolation is so crystal clear, what happened before is irrelevant -- as are my suspicions.  There was no possible justification for the shooting.  And Slager knew it; that's why he planted evidence at the scene and lied about it.

Maybe it's time to up the ante.  The feds could try him for deprivation of civil rights under color of law and seek the death penalty.  
Do you have a link for him being a racist who wanted to kill black people?  That is your suspicion that I was referring to.  I guess simply shooting a fleeing criminal isn't bad enough?

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2016, 11:08:01 PM »
As I've pointed out before, once Scott breaks contact and begins to run away, he is unarmed and not a threat to anyone in the immediate vicinity.

Yes, he may have just fought with a cop for a minute or more.  But you can't use deadly force on someone, anyone, no longer an immediate threat.

The bad thing is that crap like this just encourages people to resist even more.  Once the officer says "you're under arrest", then it's game over.  Shut up and cooperate.  As our resident tilecrawlers will tell everyone; Argue in court, not on the street.  It's hard to beat the rap if you are dead.
He ran from the cops and apparently fought with the cop before this shooting ever happened.  He was apparently willing to resist already.  If anything it would encourage others to risk the arrest instead of fighting. 

What is the local law about cops shooting fleeing suspects?  Are there circumstances where it is allowed?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2016, 11:08:58 PM »
Do you have a link for him being a racist who wanted to kill black people?  That is your suspicion that I was referring to.  I guess simply shooting a fleeing criminal isn't bad enough?

???  I said that's one possibility but I doubted it.
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2016, 11:28:10 PM »
???  I said that's one possibility but I doubted it.
I looked at your post again and I don't see that.  You just brought up every scenario for why he is a murderer.  What exactly were you trying to say?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2016, 11:32:10 PM »
I looked at your post again and I don't see that.  You just brought up every scenario for why he is a murderer.  What exactly were you trying to say?

I was trying to say there are several possible scenarios before the video started, some worse than others, and none of them justify the shooting.  Obviously I said it poorly.
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2016, 01:08:32 AM »
Might have been me.   =D

That last was why I was curious about the law and what circumstances would a police officer in that state be allowed to shoot a fleeing suspect.  Could he have articulated that sort defense?  Of course, 11 jurors didn't think so and I don't why the 12th made the decision they did.  Could have been any number of reasons, many of which are not necessarily bad.  

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2016, 01:21:07 AM »

Citation on the taser claim?  The worst I've heard is that he grabbed the taser, not that he managed to use it on Slager.

• friends
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2016, 08:16:25 AM »

What we think is not what matters.  It's the cops perception based on what he believes at that time that counts. And ironically the prosecution provided some of the best evidence to support slager.
His perception of Scott's threat to him is different than someone watching a video

• friends
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2016, 08:17:49 AM »
Citation on the taser claim?  The worst I've heard is that he grabbed the taser, not that he managed to use it on Slager.
Burns on slayers clothes from tazer

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/taser-almost-certainly-caused-burns-on-michael-slager-s-uniform/article_3d10a08e-af9b-11e6-854c-174c200ca7a0.html

• friends
Re:
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2016, 08:24:16 AM »
Here's a link with others embedded that give some info
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2016/11/29/us/michael-slager-murder-trial-walter-scott/index.html?client=ms-android-att-us