Author Topic: Sigh  (Read 1934 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Sigh
« on: December 02, 2016, 08:12:54 AM »
Does no one tell the emperor he has no clothes?
Close down parts of the Internet?
http://money.cnn.com/2015/12/08/technology/donald-trump-internet/index.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: Sigh
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 08:43:45 AM »
My 14 year old, who is far more tech savvy than I am, immediately said "doesn't he understand if he shuts down the net he won't be able to Tweet about stuff?"

He might as well try stopping the tide...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 09:43:09 AM »
Now you can see why I didn't want that mother *expletive deleted*er to be president.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 10:04:27 AM »
Based on Trumps previous remarks on the cyber I am not surprised...

Quote from: Donald Trump
As far as the cyber, I agree to parts of what Secretary Clinton said. We should be better than anybody else, and perhaps we’re not. I don’t think anybody knows that it was Russia that broke into the DNC. She’s saying Russia, Russia, Russia—I don't, maybe it was. I mean, it could be Russia, but it could also be China. It could also be lots of other people. It also could be somebody sitting on their bed that weighs 400 pounds, okay?
So we had to get very, very tough on cyber and cyber warfare. It is a huge problem. I have a son—he’s 10 years old. He has computers. He is so good with these computers. It’s unbelievable. The security aspect of cyber is very, very tough. And maybe, it's hardly doable. But I will say, we are not doing the job we should be doing. But that’s true throughout our whole governmental society. We have so many things that we have to do better, Lester. And certainly cyber is one of them.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 10:39:39 AM »
Still makes more sense than any Democrat.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 10:51:18 AM »
What I read into this is far less draconian - that Trump is asking private companies who provide social networking services to blacklist certain IP blocks associated with ISIS hotspot regions.  And, as all common social media outlets are run by US companies, that's less insane then the notion of "shutting down the net"

It still wont' work, because proxies and stuff. However the article seems to go into an explanation of service providers and whatnot, which is not what I think is being discussed here.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 11:41:14 AM »
"We're losing a lot of people because of the Internet," Trump said. "We have to go see Bill Gates and a lot of different people that really understand what's happening. We have to talk to them about, maybe in certain areas, closing that Internet up in some way. Somebody will say, 'Oh freedom of speech, freedom of speech.' These are foolish people. We have a lot of foolish people."
This sounds like my what my parents would say if they were addressing the issue.  They are not computer/internet savvy.  And it doesn't sound to me like he wants to shut down the internet.  I guess it is general enough that people see it the way they want to.  
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 11:54:25 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 11:44:27 AM »
This sounds like my what my parents would say if they were addressing the issue.  They are not computer/internet savvy.  And it doesn't sound to me like he wants to shut down the internet.  I guess it is general enough that people see it the way they want to. 

That's kind of what I get. The linked article is a year old, and I think he's been schooled in that time. Same with "the cyber". I notice he doesn't use that term anymore, so I think he is listening to his people when they educate him on various subjects.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 11:51:02 AM »
Wait - why are we discussing an article that's a year old?

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 12:54:53 PM »

Because some here are still sore that Trump won ...  =D
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 12:58:19 PM »
That "the cyber" quote is an interesting mixture of truth and ignorance.
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 02:04:51 PM »
I think he was just saying:

1.  It's a problem.

2.  Hey, gurus, what possibilities are there to fix it?

All in a raising-consciousness sort of way.  He is sometimes awkward in expressing things, which tends to provide horror-fodder for the press.

The free speech problem aside,  (repeating: "the free speech problem aside"), I'm sure there are parameters that could be explored to nannify certain kinds of transmissions at the ISP level, sort of like  your spam filter.  Think "gun site blocking" at certain facilities like libraries and your own company.

Then there's the cryptology involved.  Don't know what to say about that since it involves the "search" Amendment <hack-koff> which has already been watered down to meaninglessness. And if unknown entities can hack our data base of applicants for classified information approval...

Terry, stop.  :facepalm:

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 04:04:16 PM »

Because C&SD.   As I have pointed out previously, he feels that one if his friends was screwed over by Trump.  So we can expect 4 years of unintelligible Anti-Trump screeds.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 06:00:33 PM »
can't stop the signal.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2016, 06:28:24 PM »
Because C&SD.   As I have pointed out previously, he feels that one if his friends was screwed over by Trump.  So we can expect 4 years of unintelligible Anti-Trump screeds.

At least Arpaio got himself unelected.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams