Author Topic: The "fake news" meme  (Read 6603 times)

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
The "fake news" meme
« on: December 08, 2016, 02:36:00 AM »
Have anyone else besides me seen this being talked about in the last week or so? Seems like all of a sudden, every newspaper and channel is pushing this idea, along with Facebook & Google saying they will implement ways to ensure only True News are being indexed in search engines/shared on Facebook. I'm sure that they will be 100% objective in deciding which news are fake.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Regolith

• friend
Re: The "fake news" meme
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 04:25:09 AM »
Have anyone else besides me seen this being talked about in the last week or so? Seems like all of a sudden, every newspaper and channel is pushing this idea, along with Facebook & Google saying they will implement ways to ensure only True News are being indexed in search engines/shared on Facebook. I'm sure that they will be 100% objective in deciding which news are fake.

It's the narrative that the D's are trying to push in order to explain Hillary's defeat. The MSN is happy to go along with it both because they're Democrats with bylines, and because it attacks their new media competitors.

It's gotten so bad White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest had to explain the First Amendment to the Press Corps during a briefing because they were pushing the White House to crack down on "fake news" sites. Talk about a roll reversal....

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 05:01:01 AM »
Ummm, yeah.  Now what are they gonna do about "slanted news" from the professional left-mongers.  You think they'll go that far?

Interesting that the first I've heard of this is from a foreign source... thanks, Viking.  (Not that I'm absolutely up-to-date on every news tidbit.)

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 07:00:27 AM »
Fake news has been around for a while . . .

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 07:14:08 AM »
The fake news club exists only to beat news sources outside the msm and not bejolden to the Narrative.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

griz

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 07:57:38 AM »
So many 1984 quotes come to mind:

“We do not merely destroy our enemies; we change them.”
“It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
"Ignorance is strength.”
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 08:16:18 AM »
Fake news has been around for a while . . .

There is a difference in making a mistake and outright lying/manipulating the truth to fit an agenda.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 02:49:05 PM »
Interesting that the first I've heard of this is from a foreign source... thanks, Viking.  (Not that I'm absolutely up-to-date on every news tidbit.)

"Fake news" has actually been a huge news story for the past few weeks.

I wish they'd been as outraged when Rather made up that story about Bush's National Guard Service. Or when no one called John Lewis an n-word. Or when Michael Brown had his hands up down. Or when George Zimmerman didn't racially profile. Or when semi-automatics were called "assault rifles." One could go on at some length.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 02:52:38 PM »
When Hillary Clinton was not fired on by snipers.

When Hillary Clinton said she was named after a mountain climber.

When Sarah Palin was not actually confused about geography. (Both times.)

When Missouri gun law reforms did not actually cause a crime wave.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 03:06:04 PM »
Why do they act like this is a new thing? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_journalism and why can't we call it yellow journalism, since we've already got that term, instead of "fake news"?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 05:07:41 PM »
Seems like all of a sudden, every newspaper and channel is pushing this idea, along with Facebook & Google saying they will implement ways to ensure only True News are being indexed in search engines/shared on Facebook.

Facebook can't even stop the "if 3,928,417.6 people share this post Zuckerberg is going to give us each a Ferrari and the formula to cure cancer in quadriplegic orphans" posts.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 11:29:56 PM »
Well, of course I know that "yellow journalism" has been around since before Hearst, but this is the first time I've heard the "fake news" term applied to alternative net sources.  It sounds like a recent invention of the left to control the language.

Assault weapon
Arsenal/cache of weapons
Thousands of rounds of ammunition
Could take out a whole city block
Deplorables
Gun-wielding redneck
Bambi killer
Reliable news sources

Semantics count.  And they know it.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 03:11:52 AM »
Facebook can't even stop the "if 3,928,417.6 people share this post Zuckerberg is going to give us each a Ferrari and the formula to cure cancer in quadriplegic orphans" posts.

That's because the left that go out and infiltrate and patrol groups doesn't care about things like that.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 05:12:40 AM »
Anything that helps their side = Fair and Balanced truthful journalists doing their jobs. Flat out lies and manipulation to make the left look good? That's just what it takes to get the job done

Anything that doesn't jive with the leftist narritive (I.e. the actual truth) = Fake news manipulated by the Koch brothers.

That's all you need to know
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 01:10:28 PM »
Anything that doesn't jive with the leftist narritive (I.e. the actual truth) = Fake news manipulated by the Koch brothers.

That's all you need to know

Except that the Koch brothers are opposing border security and deportation of illegal aliens., so it's hard for me to figure out just what they are or what (if anything) they stand for -- except, of course, more profits for the Kocj brothers.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2016, 01:33:23 PM »
I like the term used in the comments here:

http://twitchy.com/loriz-3139/2016/12/09/journo-pushes-lie-about-trump-supporters-the-schooling-that-came-next-will-crack-you-up/

"Retraction journalism". Say anything you want, then retract it sometime later in a hard to read place. Damage done. The example at the link says it all, especially looking at the "retweet" comparison.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2016, 07:57:50 PM »
Somebody help me, please. I just heard some clips on my car radio, of Brian Williams - yes, Brian. Williams. - complaining about various people spreading "fake news." Someone please tell me that's just a clever compilation of sound bytes, and he didn't really broach that topic.

No, wait. Don't tell me that. Watching the state-controlled media beclown themselves to this extent is just hilarious.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2016, 08:16:04 PM »
Somebody help me, please. I just heard some clips on my car radio, of Brian Williams - yes, Brian. Williams. - complaining about various people spreading "fake news." Someone please tell me that's just a clever compilation of sound bytes, and he didn't really broach that topic.

No, wait. Don't tell me that. Watching the state-controlled media beclown themselves to this extent is just hilarious.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4018664/Former-NBC-Nightly-News-host-Brian-Williams-complains-fake-news.html
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2016, 09:11:41 PM »
Glenn Greenwald has a pretty good post about this up at The Intercept:

https://theintercept.com/2016/12/09/a-clinton-fan-manufactured-fake-news-that-msnbc-personalities-spread-to-discredit-wikileaks-docs/?comments=1#comments

He goes into detail about how MSNBC in particular spread fake news, yet is one of the biggest decriers of it.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 01:45:31 AM by fistful »

wuluf

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2016, 09:55:04 AM »
Even Dan Rather opined about fake news, and he oughta know..

HankB

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2016, 10:46:22 AM »
Even Dan Rather opined about fake news, and he oughta know..
Ah, yes, he used forged documents from a dead man in an attempt to influence a national election.

And then there was Tom Brokaw at NBC whose report about exploding GMC pickups included video of a burning truck his minions at NBC had clandestinely rigged with an incendiary device . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2016, 11:09:17 AM »
Ah, yes, he used forged documents from a dead man in an attempt to influence a national election.

And then there was Tom Brokaw at NBC whose report about exploding GMC pickups included video of a burning truck his minions at NBC had clandestinely rigged with an incendiary device . . .

Curse you, Breitbart, for making them do that!!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2016, 01:10:44 PM »
It seems to me that Facebook and Google open themselves up to lawsuits if they actively try to purge news from their sites and searches.  It could be seen as inhibiting free speech since the sites are otherwise wide open.  At the least, it opens them up to regulation by the fedgov.  In addition, if people notice their information being filtered, they will switch to other search engines and sites.  I am not sure which is more likely to occur. 

It would be interesting for a lawsuit to get far enough to allow discovery against Google. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2016, 01:22:48 PM »
Yeah, I don't really rely on the book of faces to get my daily news.
For me it is just entertainment, watching the family members and friends bemoaning the state of their drama laden lives and reposting political memes to cause liberal butthurt makes my day.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams