Author Topic: Troubling discrepancy in Florida gun laws  (Read 2546 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Troubling discrepancy in Florida gun laws
« on: December 08, 2016, 02:20:50 PM »

Journalists in the Gunshine State have discovered a heretofore unexplored loophole that allows millions of Florida citizens to buy firearms, WITHOUT HAVING A PERMIT TO CARRY THEM!

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/33917026/nbc2-investigation-legally-buying-guns-you-cant-legally-carry

In response to the crisis, the elderly and disabled are being evacuated. Students are being ordered to shelter in place. Organic, vegan, locavore, yoga studio/microbreweries are preparing to take in refugees.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Troubling discrepancy in Florida gun laws
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 02:26:58 PM »
Wow.

At least they're getting hammered in the comments.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 03:43:09 PM »
What's more amusing is that you can walk out with a shotgun or rifle on the spot, but have to wait 3 days to pick up your handgun.  They have to watch the handgun for 3 days to see if it will go off by itself and hurt somebody.  Apparently rifles and shotguns are more secure in their identity and are more calm, cool and collected.  Talk about stupid laws written by stupid people.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 05:49:37 PM »
(&%#@&^%$^ Media.

So now people doing things that AREN'T against any law is a crisis? This reporter need to wake up and get a life.,
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 06:19:41 PM »
OMG OMG OMG !  I just found out that here in Calirado you can buy a car without having a driver's license !  OMG OMG OMG !

Shameful !  Are our legislators asleep at the switch?

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 06:27:24 PM »
Holy Hellgrammites Batman! Here in Oklahoma  "people" can just walk into a gun store, buy a handgun and take it home the very same *expletive deleted*ing day! And, we don't even have to get extra special local government permission first.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 07:10:24 PM »
You have to think there were at least several people involved in this story. The reporter, cameras person, editor, anchor, etc. It seems hard to believe not one of them said "Hey wait a minute, this is going to make us look stupid"; but then again maybe not considering the quality of journalism that seems current today.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 08:28:54 PM »
You have to think there were at least several people involved in this story. The reporter, cameras person, editor, anchor, etc. It seems hard to believe not one of them said "Hey wait a minute, this is going to make us look stupid"; but then again maybe not considering the quality of journalism that seems current today.

Nope. They are on a mission. People who are on a mission will never consider or acknowledge that anything they do in the furtherance of their agenda might appear stupid to a sane person.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 11:29:44 PM »
Holy Hellgrammites Batman! Here in Oklahoma  "people" can just walk into a gun store, buy a handgun and take it home the very same *expletive deleted*ing day! And, we don't even have to get extra special local government permission first.

As a point of clarification:  FDLE handles NICS checks for the state of FL.  Those 300,000 some check referenced in the article aren't some extra "FL only" check, the are NICS checks.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 01:01:07 AM »
As a point of clarification:  FDLE handles NICS checks for the state of FL.  Those 300,000 some check referenced in the article aren't some extra "FL only" check, the are NICS checks.

But, per the video, FL has a 3-day waiting period for pistols? Seems odd.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 01:08:20 AM »

But, per the video, FL has a 3-day waiting period for pistols? Seems odd.

I believe we do.  I confess I don't really know FL's waiting period laws because they are waived for CHL holders.  I haven't waited on a gun in 15 years.

ETA:  Yep looks like we do:

Quote from:  FL Statute 790.0655
(1)(a) There shall be a mandatory 3-day waiting period, which shall be 3 days, excluding weekends and legal holidays, between the purchase and the delivery at retail of any handgun. “Purchase” means the transfer of money or other valuable consideration to the retailer. “Handgun” means a firearm capable of being carried and used by one hand, such as a pistol or revolver. “Retailer” means and includes every person engaged in the business of making sales at retail or for distribution, or use, or consumption, or storage to be used or consumed in this state, as defined in s. 212.02(13).
(b) Records of handgun sales must be available for inspection by any law enforcement agency, as defined in s. 934.02, during normal business hours.
(2) The 3-day waiting period shall not apply in the following circumstances:
(a) When a handgun is being purchased by a holder of a concealed weapons permit as defined in s. 790.06.
(b) To a trade-in of another handgun.
(3) It is a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084:
(a) For any retailer, or any employee or agent of a retailer, to deliver a handgun before the expiration of the 3-day waiting period, subject to the exceptions provided in subsection (2).
(b) For a purchaser to obtain delivery of a handgun by fraud, false pretense, or false representation.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.0655.html

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 05:49:24 AM »
I think they are flushing comments on a regular basis. Two days ago I saw this via a post on Facebook, and there were nearly 60 comments at that time. Now there are...

FOUR.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 07:27:47 AM »
One of said comments:

Rachel deleted everything related to this on her fbook page. Lol! Blocked me also cause she couldn't face someone challenging her ignorance.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 10:20:45 AM »
the anti gun bliss ninnys never stop looking for non issues to hammer.   In Florida, you don't need a license to buy a gun, or to have a gun in your house, car or business.  You don't need a license to transport a gun between those locations, and there is no prohibition against using said gun if your life is in danger.
The CCW license is a huge money maker for Florida, but only a small percent of the population actually has a concealed permit.   Most get by just fine without it.
What really drives the anti gun folks nuts, is that we can do person to person sales with little or no control.    :)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 10:24:51 AM »
The CCW license is a huge money maker for Florida, but only a small percent of the population actually has a concealed permit.   Most get by just fine without it.

Do you have any idea what the breakdown is for resident vs. non-resident permits for Florida? I know I have one, even though it's unlikely I'll ever be carrying in Florida. I got it years ago, because at the time it also made me legal in about 32 other states that don't recognize my home state permit. I think that number has actually gone down since I first got my FL permit, but it's still a substantial number.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2016, 10:27:43 AM »
Do you have any idea what the breakdown is for resident vs. non-resident permits for Florida? I know I have one, even though it's unlikely I'll ever be carrying in Florida. I got it years ago, because at the time it also made me legal in about 32 other states that don't recognize my home state permit. I think that number has actually gone down since I first got my FL permit, but it's still a substantial number.

I was wondering the same thing right after I read Mannlicher's post. Specifically how the numbers were used by this reporter. It's not as popular as it once was, but the FL permit used to be neck and neck with UT for non-resident issuance.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2016, 10:29:16 AM »
"Specifically how the numbers were used by this reporter."

I have a funny feeling that she has NO clue how she used those numbers. Probably doesn't even have a clue that Florida has out of state CCW permits.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2016, 10:44:52 AM »

As of November 30 2016 there are 1,681,482 active FL Concealed Weapons Permits of which 217,391 are issued to residents of other states.

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Licensing/Statistical-Reports

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2016, 11:07:50 AM »
"Specifically how the numbers were used by this reporter."

I have a funny feeling that she has NO clue how she used those numbers. Probably doesn't even have a clue that Florida has out of state CCW permits.

I think you're right on that one.

On the numbers,  I actually expected at least double the non-resident permits. Then again, I would expect CA to be a large percentage of any states' non-resident permits, but never really saw big ads for FL permit classes in this state. Most all of them have always featured UT.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2016, 12:41:27 PM »
As of November 30 2016 there are 1,681,482 active FL Concealed Weapons Permits of which 217,391 are issued to residents of other states.

The number of permits issues seems awfully low, if they're issuing 100,000 over just a few months. I wonder if the 100k number includes renewals. Which should push those reporters into a full-blown panic.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2016, 10:34:43 PM »

The number of permits issues seems awfully low, if they're issuing 100,000 over just a few months. I wonder if the 100k number includes renewals. Which should push those reporters into a full-blown panic.

The page I linked has a bunch of cool breakdowns of FL CCW's.  But the short answer is no, it doesn't include renewals.

FL does it's year from July through June.  The article had gotten hold of this years numbers (so far).  Since July 1 2016 FL has issued 120,687 new permits and renewed 77,181 permits.  I suspect the total number seems low because many folks let theirs lapse.