Author Topic: Hard Wired Smoke Detectors Expire... who knew?  (Read 5240 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Hard Wired Smoke Detectors Expire... who knew?
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2016, 07:03:35 AM »
I can here the alarm in the garage from every room in my house.  But then my house is the size of an average newly built home...built in 1960.  Gonna test one in the attic soon.  I bet i will hear it.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Hard Wired Smoke Detectors Expire... who knew?
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2016, 07:07:52 AM »
Found some!
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Kidde-Battery-Operated-Wireless-Inter-Connectable-Smoke-Alarm-RF-SM-DC/100655041
https://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-SA501CN2-Interconnected-Wireless/dp/B000FBQC1K
https://www.amazon.com/Kidde-RF-SM-DC-Wireless-Interconnect-Battery-Operated/dp/B00PC5S37K

Expect to pay $30-40 per.

In the attic I think I'd want a wired alarm just because the battery is less likely to be replaced on schedule.  A wired alarm with a lithium battery in it shouldn't need the battery replaced until you're replacing all the alarms again.

If you have a wired system that you're expanding, you'll need an interconnect.
https://www.amazon.com/Kidde-RF-SM-AC-Hardwire-Wireless-Interconnect/dp/B00PC5S5UK/

$55
Then again, the 80usd three pack of the battery inteeconnected alarms would be perfect...one in garage, one in attic, one in hallway outside of bedroom.  All others inside house can be independent.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2016, 10:50:07 AM »
Everything that I've ever read about SA placement (including the NFPA) is to NOT put them in garages or attics.
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2016, 10:50:19 AM »
My new house has hard wired detectors, and I didn't realize they also had batteries.

A little less than 2 years after moving in, I found out the batteries needed to be changed when the alarms started sounding at 0300. Not the learning experience I really wanted.

Then about 9 years after moving in, the detectors started chirping . . . again, at around 0300. That's when I found out the "average" life span of these detectors was "about" 10 years. Seems mine were on the short side of the "average."

This was 11 years ago . . . I replaced all six detectors then. Pretty easy, since the new ones fit the old wiring and old sockets. No problems since.

(Hmmm . . . 11 years on 10 year average life span detectors. Tick . . . tick . . . tick . . . )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2016, 11:03:11 AM »
My new house has hard wired detectors, and I didn't realize they also had batteries.

A little less than 2 years after moving in, I found out the batteries needed to be changed when the alarms started sounding at 0300. Not the learning experience I really wanted.

Then about 9 years after moving in, the detectors started chirping . . . again, at around 0300. That's when I found out the "average" life span of these detectors was "about" 10 years. Seems mine were on the short side of the "average."

This was 11 years ago . . . I replaced all six detectors then. Pretty easy, since the new ones fit the old wiring and old sockets. No problems since.

(Hmmm . . . 11 years on 10 year average life span detectors. Tick . . . tick . . . tick . . . )

Interesting. I wonder if that's why my sister's kept chirping after battery replacement - built in "life alarm"? Her house is only six years old, but who knows how long the detectors were in the builder's warehouse?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2016, 02:18:13 PM »
This thread has helped me to realize something.  I have a hardwired smoke detector at the ceiling peak of the entry/living room.  26 feet up, which is higher than my highest extension ladder.  I am going to hire someone to replace it when the time comes.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2016, 02:30:49 PM »
Put the ladder on top of 2 osha approved drywall buckets for extra height

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2016, 03:08:04 PM »
26 feet up, which is higher than my highest extension ladder.

Well within pistol range, though.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re:
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2016, 03:22:51 PM »
Put the ladder on top of 2 osha approved drywall buckets for extra height

I see that you grasp the key factor here: the buckets are OSHA-approved.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2016, 04:25:07 PM »
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 06:32:21 PM by MillCreek »

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re:
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2016, 06:28:07 PM »
I see that you grasp the key factor here: the buckets are OSHA-approved.
The only words that strike more fear on a job site than "la migra !"
Is "the Osha guy is here about the accident"

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I