Author Topic: Whiskey  (Read 4668 times)

zahc

• friend
Whiskey
« on: December 10, 2016, 10:36:44 PM »
I do not myself drink distilled beverages, but I want to buy my boss some expensive whiskey. Something he might not buy himself because it's too expensive. Is there a gold standard expensive whiskey that is worth it and not just expensive because of all marketing?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Whiskey
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 10:54:20 PM »
Is your boss a whiskey drinker? I ask because there's whiskey, then there's whiskey, then there's whiskey. Then there's even whisky.

Is he a bourbon drinker? Rye? Scotch?

If Scotch, you could buy him a $75 bottle of Lagavulin (an excellent Islay Scotch), but if he only likes Highland Scotch, it'll be a wasted $75 and you would have been better off buying him a $20 of cheap Highland Scotch.

Not trying to be a stick in the mud, but I'd hate to see you throw out a Benjamin and have your boss say, "well, it's the thought that counts". If you have some idea of what he likes, let us know and we'll come up with suggestions.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 11:03:32 PM »
A very good whiskey IMHO* that's not too expensive is Elijah Craig small batch bourbon.  I don't remember how many years it's aged, 11? 

*I am not known for my taste is whiskeys, but I have given bottles of EC before and it's always been appreciated.
"It's good, though..."

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 11:05:54 PM »
At COSTCO there's a 12 Days of Whisky box, it's like an advent calendar for alcoholics.

Give him that, and when he mentions which one he liked the most, get him a bottle of that. 
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 11:09:06 PM »
And what is "expensive"?  An expensive bourbon is $50 (and a waste IMO), but an expensive Scotch will start at 100+ and go up from there.  

Then, there is EXPENSIVE, where you're looking at nosebleed prices for bottles of Pappy Van Winkle.  Those are for the nouveau riche and collectors.

Chris

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 11:14:25 PM »
I was thinking $50-100
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 11:30:03 PM »
That's entry level for single malt Scotch (well, high-entry-level), but will get a quality bourbon or rye.  However, in Scotch alone, you have multiple distinct types, not including blends of which there are numerous examples.

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 11:46:02 PM »
I was thinking $50-100

So any idea of what he likes? Has he ever mentioned a type or brand around you?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 12:01:51 AM »
How much for just a bottle and some ribbon paper to make it look like it hasn't been opened?

nudge nudge wink wink
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 12:05:40 AM »
Yeah, you'll need to narrow it down to at least a type.  Then we can give some suggestions.

FWIW:

Scotch:  Highland park is good for getting some smoke and peat flavor without overpowering folks.  Technically a Highland scotch but on the flavorful end.  Get one of the 18ish YO singles.  Anything Talisker is always a safe bet for a good drinkable scotch.

Bourbon: Makers mark is kind of a standard, decent bottle, but I actually like Knob Creek a little better.  Jefferson's is also pretty good.  I had a bottle of the Jefferon's Ocean that was the best bourbon I've ever head, but it's sometimes hard to find.)

Rye:  I've enjoyed Bulleit but I'm not a super fan of Ryes.

Can't help you with Tennessee and Irish whiskey's.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2016, 12:26:53 AM »
For Irish whiskey, the choice is Redbreast 12 year.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2016, 12:45:57 AM »
This might be a liiiittle bit out of your price range, but since it is at the airport, Narita International Airport, it's tax free.  =D Plus our exchange rate has been getting better.

"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2016, 01:21:19 AM »
Forgot about Irish whiskey.  Don't forget Japanese whiskey.

There are also wheat whiskeys, which tend to be very soft and smooth.

Chris

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2016, 01:45:49 AM »
You definitely need to give us better direction on style of whisky.  The difference between bourbon and rye is big enough.  Scotch is whole other galaxy.  Within Scotch you have Single Malt and blended malts.  Within Single Malts you about half a dozen major regions that each give their own flavor profiles.

Price alone is a poor proxy for quality.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2016, 05:45:35 AM »
The Balvenie doublewood 17.  Classy yet cheap!
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2016, 09:59:30 AM »
Well, if people are just going to throw out recommendations anyway, and you don't know what your boss likes...

My favorite whiskies over the last couple of years (excluding single malts) have been what High West Distillery puts out. If you don't know what your boss drinks, High West makes a whiskey called Campfire that is a blend of bourbon, rye, and scotch. It's about $60/bottle. I usually don't do blended whisky, but this one is my favorite weekend whiskey and probably my favorite High West in "bang for the buck". I find all the High West varieties great except the Rendezvous Rye. That doesn't seem to be just me from what I've read, so avoid that one if you go the High West route.

http://thewhiskeyjug.com/american-whiskey/high-west-campfire-review/

Also, I think all of us are assuming that your boss drinks his whiskey straight. If he's going to be making high balls, you can probably just get him some Jack Daniels at the grocery store.  =D

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2016, 09:39:34 PM »
Glemorangie Nectar D'or,  for the price range you mentioned and not knowing what he likes.  I'm horrible on describing booze,  but you'd have to drink a few to appreciate this.  Good stuff.   

https://www.glenmorangie.com/us/glenmorangie-nectar-dor

I second the Talisker recommendation if you think he'd be into something a bit harsher.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2016, 08:44:02 AM »
Bourbon: Makers mark is kind of a standard, decent bottle, but I actually like Knob Creek a little better.  Jefferson's is also pretty good.  I had a bottle of the Jefferon's Ocean that was the best bourbon I've ever head, but it's sometimes hard to find.)

Love that, have a bottle of it in the pantry currently and know where I can get more at a nice discount.

Another thing to take into account where are you and what is available.  Sometimes certain brands are only sold in specific regions.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2016, 09:17:49 AM »
As others have said it really matters what he likes and what his purpose is with it.

Example: I really like Maker Mark 46. It's their slightly more expensive "elite" brand, I believe. I prefer it neat.

I also have a bottle of Bird Dog Blackberry whiskey. It's a bit too sweet for my taste to drink it straight. It's REALLY good in eggnog, though. I would NEVER use my 46 in a mixed drink though- it seems like such a waste.

So, is he a mixed drink guy or straight? Bourbon or Scotch?

IF he just likes whiskey and doesn't know, the sampler is a great idea.

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2016, 09:32:36 AM »
Forgot about Irish whiskey.  Don't forget Japanese whiskey.

There are also wheat whiskeys, which tend to be very soft and smooth.

Chris

What's wrong with Irish whiskey, is it just overrated?  The only Irish I've had is "2 Gingers", and it's okay in highballs or as shots, but there's not much to it.  I don't know if it's representative of the style.  The only other Irish brand I know is Jameson's.
"It's good, though..."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2016, 09:43:00 AM »
What's wrong with Irish whiskey, is it just overrated?  The only Irish I've had is "2 Gingers", and it's okay in highballs or as shots, but there's not much to it.  I don't know if it's representative of the style.  The only other Irish brand I know is Jameson's.

Nothing's wrong with Irish whiskey.  My comment was that I forgot about it.

I actually like Irish whiskeys.  They tend to be milder and nuanced than other whiskeys (haven't tried Japanese).  They also go well in coffee, making them a perennial favorite at camp. :)

Jameson's isn't bad, but I prefer their more exclusive variations.  The basic version is a bit "meh".  For a cheap Irish whiskey, I like Tullamore DEW. 

Chris

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2016, 10:13:25 AM »
I misread your post.  Thought you said "Forget about Irish whiskey"
"It's good, though..."

Esdd67

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2016, 10:10:20 PM »
Basil Hayden's and Bookers are both excellent Bourbons made by the Jim Beam family. I think somewhat better than Maker's.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2016, 07:13:34 AM »
Can you find some good moonshine? It's not cheap but it will ruin you for taxed booze

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I