Author Topic: Roku Stick vs Amazon Firestick vs a cheap Blu Ray player  (Read 14308 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Roku Stick vs Amazon Firestick vs a cheap Blu Ray player
« on: December 13, 2016, 04:50:24 PM »
Wife wants a Netflix device for our TV.  We both have started watching Netflix videos lately, and it's a bit of a pain to hook up the HDMI cable to a netbook (the real laptops have Displayport instead of HDMI) and make sure the netbook has enough battery life, etc.

So I'm looking at Roku Express and Roku Stick (and Amazon stick and Chromecast) and in one of the reviews I read it suggested just using your Blu Ray player to stream Netflix.  A last-years-model Sony (etc) Blu Ray player doesn't really cost much more than a Roku Stick, and it would give us Blu Ray capability and DVD upscaling or up-sampling or whatever it's called.  But what about the user interface?  If all she really wants it for is to play Netflix and occasionally Amazon Prime videos, and doesn't care about the other features, is it harder to search on the Blu Ray?  Or would you do that on your PC anyway, and then resume on whatever's attached to the TV?

Another thing going for the Blu Ray player is one less remote.  (same remote would handle DVD's and streaming videos, and the universal cable box remote might can handle it, which would be 2 less remotes)
"It's good, though..."

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Roku Stick vs Amazon Firestick vs a cheap Blu Ray player
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 04:52:51 PM »
I have the Stick and had the Roku (full size) in the past.  I have a smart BD player too.

The Stick is the best by far.

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 04:57:27 PM »
I use a regular Roku at home versus my Blue Ray player (which has the capabilities). However, on my last fishing trip I stayed at a condo where they had guest Netflix running off their Blue Ray. I found getting around the menu very similar to the Roku player.

If you're not familiar, for browsing, to me it's just as easy on the Roku or Blue Ray as it is on the computer. If you want to search though, using the remote is somewhat time consuming for imputing characters, even with predictive search. I find specific searches to be easier on my computer, then I just add them to my list, which is easily accessible on the Roku (or a Blue Ray).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 05:00:38 PM »
I use a Roku 3 hard wired into my router. I did run it over WiFi at first, but had data issues. Hardwired solved those problems, I do live in a brick house.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 05:09:39 PM »
https://profknowledge.myshopify.com/products/7x7x7-speed-professional-magic-cube-fast-turning-and-easy-throws-3d-brain-teasers-puzzles

Every time you get the urge to watch TV, scramble it and solve it first.  Just think of the money you'll save.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 06:01:21 PM »
I have a Roku. I was going to get the mini one, but the standard sized one wasn't much more and seemed more in keeping with a permanent setup.

I don't like using the search feature with a plain remote. (And this goes for all devices I've used, including my boss's Smart TV) but I've mostly found that the browsing and suggested lists Netflix generates defeats that problem.
The one issue I have with the Roku is that it doesn't seem to recognize multiple Netflix users. It just automatically set to mine. I'm not sure what I'll do if Dad actually agrees to learn to use it.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 06:05:06 PM »
Roku & most blu ray player interfaces are functionally similar. However, I've found most disc-player interfaces to be frustratingly slow. Much more so than the Roku. Either is kinda a pain to search with but you can solve that by using the Netflix app on your smartphone to search shows and add them to your list, then watch from the TV-conntected device.

By chance do you have a gaming console, either Xbox or PS/4? If you do, the interface on them is far superior in terms of speed and intuitive usefulness. Add a chat pad and it's a breeze to search. If you don't have a console you won't really go wrong with either Roku or blu-ray. Ditch the temptation to go with an older BRP, though. You can get good ones for under $80 that will have all the stuff you're looking for, plus they will have a better processor that may spare you some of the slow clunkiness I've experienced with BRP interfaces.

We both have started watching Netflix videos lately, and it's a bit of a pain to hook up the HDMI cable to a netbook (the real laptops have Displayport instead of HDMI) and make sure the netbook has enough battery life, etc.

Display Port to HDMI adapter. Ten bucks.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dynex-displayport-to-hdmi-adapter-black/8720184.p?skuId=8720184

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 08:15:04 PM »
I've used Blu Ray player, TV app (Vizio TV with apps), gaming console, and Roku stick.

By far I've preferred the Roku. I can't speak to the firestick as I've not tried it, same for Chromecast.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 08:20:40 PM »
I was going to say the same thing as Brad about an adapter.  The cheapest option and a lot of the positive features of both worlds.  Amazon has them for $8.  I use that kind of thing all the time at work at they are awesome.  If you spring for a wireless mouse/keyboard you can easily search from the comfort of your couch too.

https://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-Anbear-Enabled-Desktops-Displays/dp/B01EY67S6O/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1481678222&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=displayport+to+hdmi&psc=1

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 08:39:07 PM »
The HDMI ports on the TV are in the middle of the back.  Will the Roku Stick remote work?  Or would I need to get an extension cable to bring it out to the front or side?  It says it's an RF remote, so it ought to work...

(I'll probably get one of the Displayport adapters too)
"It's good, though..."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 09:11:35 PM »
Chromecast is okay, and can do a few things that Fire stick can't, but is heavily dependent on other devices (phone or computer). The Fire stick can be a standalone device, although you can use your phone via a remote app to more quickly enter text.

We bought a blu-ray player that had some streaming video apps like Netflix installed. A little over a year after we got it, the Netflix app stopped working and wouldn't update. Turns out the manufacturer (Vizio) had decided to not support it anymore so streaming through it was no longer an option.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 10:23:44 PM »
I recommend the Fire Stick.  Pretty cheap.  Easy to set up and use.  Portable between TVs, which is great for us when SWMBO wants to watch Hallmark movies, and I'd rather chew aluminum foil and then rinse with rubbing alcohol.  She can take the Fire Stick to the bedroom, and I can play Red Dead on the big TV.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2016, 06:25:25 AM »
which is great for us when SWMBO wants to watch Hallmark movies, and I'd rather chew aluminum foil and then rinse with rubbing alcohol. 
You too eh? :D

Chris

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 02:17:23 PM »
I just ordered an Amazon stick; it's supposed to get here 12/23 (Amazon and Best Buy are both out of stock right now.)  And a short HDMI extension cable so it can hang down behind the TV.  The Alexa remote is what put it over the top.
+1 on the round-the-clock awful Hallmark movies.   [barf]

I'm gonna see if I can find a cheap Blu Ray player with composite component video out to connect to the old TV in the man cave that doesn't have HDMI, no digital tuner, and isn't even hooked up to cable anymore -- or I might get a Roku Express+ for it.  That could tide us over if the Amazon thing is late for Christmas.
"It's good, though..."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2016, 02:31:34 PM »
ZX, it comes with that extension.  You didn't need to buy one.

Chris

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2016, 02:33:48 PM »
ZX, it comes with that extension.  You didn't need to buy one.

Chris

Really?  maybe I can still cancel that...  I didn't read anything about that in the product description...
Yep there it is, I missed it.

ETA: Successfully cancelled.  Thanks, that saved me $9
"It's good, though..."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2016, 03:48:05 PM »
Short version: For anyone not interested in illegally pirating material or doing much work (ie just works), I strongly recommend a Roku or Apple TV. Wired is better than wireless, always. But wireless is probably fine.

Long version:

Currently use about... forty? sixty? Displayport or Mini Displayport adapters. While they are not the devil (aka printers), they are terrible and randomly fail. Yes, we've tried different "respectable" brands. Normally recommend to buy at least two adapters and toss as needed. Average survival is about 9 ish months. Some less, some more. We've bought more expensive models and the lifespan is twice as much for three times the cost.

What we recommend when we can: http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13370

Displayport to HDMI cable. Seems to have slightly better survival interval, but not tested in nearly as large numbers. Much easier to install, much less likely to come undone, much easier to move around when needed.

Having tried all of the media players, I'm sticking with a hardwired Roku box and a Windows 7 PC that runs Kodi. Out in the garage, I rolled my own Android PC (Odroid C2) for playing Kodi. Took a bit of work, not much but it wasn't seemless, and got a very very capable media player that can run any normal Android app. Would highly recommend AppleTV or a hardwired Roku/FireWhatever if you want cheap, fast and excellent quality. Media sticks are near all WiFi and WiFi isn't necessarily your friend when it comes to video.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2016, 06:26:43 PM »
Interesting Rev.  Our FireStick is a year old.  Maybe we're living on borrowed time...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2016, 09:53:41 PM »
I've had multiple Roku devices over the years and I like them.  I'm currently on a Roku 3.  When my kids lost the remote for a REALLY long time I grabbed an Amazon Fire Stick to replace the Roku.  It worked... mostly.  I'd get a little lag on the menus and during playback some glitching occasionally.

Found the Roku remote like a week after we bought the Fire Stick.  Still handy to have though.

One disadvantage to the stick players is no USB support, so no playing back media files you've got physical copies of.  I like to rip DVDs or BluRay to files and shove them to a USB thumb drive for playback.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2016, 08:14:27 AM »
Interesting Rev.  Our FireStick is a year old.  Maybe we're living on borrowed time...

It's only an issue if you have a lot of people in your immediate area using WiFi. Very much an issue for apartments or townhomes. Not so much if you have a free standing house with a decent yard.

Thing is also that most people don't scan their local spectrum to see which WiFi channels are in use, and which aren't. You can download and use WiFi Analyzer app on your smartphone to see all of the broadcasting WiFi networks. Then set your router to the lowest used channels for much better performance.

One disadvantage to the stick players is no USB support, so no playing back media files you've got physical copies of.  I like to rip DVDs or BluRay to files and shove them to a USB thumb drive for playback.

NAS.  ;)

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2016, 07:16:55 PM »
Bluray players I've found to be sluggish and buggy in their Netflix apps, at least the two blu ray players I've messed with.

I have a Roku 3 that we've been happy with. The UI is responsive and easy to navigate. It did pretty decent with WiFi, but has been more reliable since I got a network cable run to it.

I also get alot of use from the Plex app on the Roku. Have my movies I own ripped to a hard-drive on an old computer running the Plex server component, they stream to the Roku no problem.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2016, 07:41:23 PM »

I also get alot of use from the Plex app on the Roku. Have my movies I own ripped to a hard-drive on an old computer running the Plex server component, they stream to the Roku no problem.

Why do I not know this about my Roku? Please tell me more.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2016, 07:51:10 PM »
https://www.plex.tv/

You run the server application on a PC where your movies are stored. Then on your Roku you install the Plex app and you can stream the library you have on your PC. It's pretty easy to use. There's a list of supported Roku devices about 3/4 the way down this page: https://www.plex.tv/apps/streaming-devices/roku/. I believe the Roku app is free. The apps for iOS, Android and Windows Store cost $5 i think.

I ripped all my DVDs and Blu-rays to .mkv files with MakeMKV, with no re-encoding, so the files are maximum quality. Plex then transcodes them on the fly when streamed to a Roku, phone, etc., to work on the device/network constraints you have. Audio gets transcoded to Dolby Digital, I believe.

While it will work with WiFi (and I used it that way for a couple years), you get the best quality if you have it wired. On Wifi, you'll just have to set Plex to encode it to a little lower quality to get the bandwidth needed down.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2016, 07:56:29 PM »
Thanks Marnoot! My next question was gonna be what you use to rip your DVDs, but you read my mind. :)

I haven't started ripping DVDs yet, but really need to. With my current bandwidth, I'm getting DVDs again instead of buying streaming, and they're starting to clutter up.

On the computer - any minimum recommended specs on CPU/graphics? I have an older nettop with an atom processor lying around, but I could always just get something refurbished on Woot when it pops up. I see they've been getting a lot of mini-PCs lately.

Sorry to drift the thread, but APS...  :laugh:

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2016, 08:15:51 PM »
You don't need anything super beefy, and integrated Intel or AMD graphics are sufficient. The machine I have running Plex has a 5 or 6 year-old Intel Core i3 processor, and it doesn't have any trouble.

That said, I don't know that an Atom is quite up to the task. I suppose it's possible it might work for streaming DVDs, but not BluRays. Here's their requirements list: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201774043-What-kind-of-CPU-do-I-need-for-my-Server-computer- You could lookup Passmark scores for the processor in mind, check that link, and see if it's up to snuff for at least a single transcode stream. You can also have Plex transcode stuff ahead of time and store it. Takes up more storage, but doesn't hit the CPU during streaming.