Author Topic: Women and minorities hardest hit.  (Read 2797 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Women and minorities hardest hit.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 06:31:33 AM »
Even viruses are sexist! 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 09:07:55 AM »
I've been discussing that with my wife. Another theory is that estrogen also boosts the ability to resist and fight off disease. (I can't find the article so this is just my recollection.)

So, it's possible both are the case- women are harder to infect, so the viri develop the means to better infect males than females, because the males are getting infected more often and the viri multiply in men instead of women.  

(*Note: dictionary says "viruses" but it's LATIN, dang it!)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 10:50:40 AM »
Actually the plural of virus is Virii, not viri.   [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 11:38:48 AM »
Actually the plural of virus is Virii, not viri.   [tinfoil]

Turns out, in Latin, they never used virus as a plural, since it meant slimy liquid or poison (venom).

So, it appears to be a debate as to what the plural would be.

Virii is acceptable, too, then. (But not "Viruses". Stinking cultural grammatical appropriation colonization!)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 11:49:23 AM »
But this isn't Latin. This is English. And English follows other languages down dark roads and bludgeons them, picks their pockets, and takes what it likes and mutilates it to its whims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 11:51:02 AM »
But this isn't Latin. This is English. And English follows other languages down dark roads and bludgeons them, picks their pockets, and takes what it likes and mutilates it to its whims.

Thus, viruses.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 11:53:40 AM »
Thus, viruses.

NEVAH! Viri or virii.  :P (Additionally, I'm quite proud of the tangent I've caused.)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 12:14:36 PM »

Or Modern English where you can add the "invent a new word or slang" option.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 04:53:11 AM »
I'm wondering if it isn't caused by the fact that men are out and about amongst a wider range of people more than women.  You know, hunting and gathering as opposed to kitchening and bedrooming.  Sorta kinda.  
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 06:06:22 AM »
You know, hunting and gathering as opposed to kitchening and bedrooming.

Am I gonna have to start throwing shoes up in here?!?

:mad:
 :lol:
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 06:18:10 AM »
^, =D

Oh, feh.  Just a whimsical way of putting the fact that women in general do more stuff at home than men as a possible explanation of the problem.  In general.  

Yes, that "traditional" way of life is changing.,

Tsk-tsk... "throwing shoes."  Violence never solves anything, they say.

But I'm sorry if that phrase was offensive to you.   I'm retreating to my safe space now to repent.  Or, con permiso, I can just go stand in the corner for fifteen minutes. That was a pretty stiff punishment for a 10 year old boy, but it beat getting hit with Mom's  shoe.

And it's even worse for a 78 year old boy.

Terry
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 06:47:16 AM by 230RN »

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 08:26:36 AM »
Or Modern English where you can add the "invent a new word or slang" option.
Or when you can decide you need a new word, and instead of making up a new one you can go back to the latin/greek/etc dictionary and grab one we hadn't already stolen. Then you can keep it, mutilate it, or hell mash it together (bonus points for mashing together a Latin AND Greek root for your new word) and declare it now part of Enlightened English.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2016, 11:50:34 AM »
Or when you can decide you need a new word, and instead of making up a new one you can go back to the latin/greek/etc dictionary and grab one we hadn't already stolen. Then you can keep it, mutilate it, or hell mash it together (bonus points for mashing together a Latin AND Greek root for your new word) and declare it now part of Enlightened English cromulent.

FTFY.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2016, 11:02:41 PM »
Or when you can decide you need a new word, and instead of making up a new one you can go back to the latin/greek/etc dictionary and grab one we hadn't already stolen. Then you can keep it, mutilate it, or hell mash it together (bonus points for mashing together a Latin AND Greek root for your new word) and declare it now part of Enlightened English.

Or quadruple negatives.  Like "disunirregardless," which I am fond of using in impolite society.  

I say it ought to be cromulated formalaciously.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2016, 08:33:23 AM »
Or quadruple negatives.  Like "disunirregardless," which I am fond of using in impolite society. 

I say it ought to be cromulated formalaciously.

I love how you've embiggened your vocabulary.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2016, 07:03:17 PM »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2016, 10:04:34 PM »
So do you think it is because in the past men were more likely to travel further from the home?  The virus would be more likely to spread.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2016, 04:13:24 AM »
So do you think it is because in the past men were more likely to travel further from the home?  The virus would be more likely to spread.

You askin' me?  If so, yes.  I think that, and wider contacts in the outside world, are very important and obvious variables to consider.  I don't know why you specified "in the past."  It goes on today.

Consider the so-called "airliner disease." Consider also the packed commuter trains in, e.g. New York City*.  Consider the hand-shaking that goes on in business transactions.  All of this is outside the family circle of friends and more likely to occur with men than women.

I ain't no epidemiologist, but that kind of stuff sure seems obvious to me as substantial variables.

Terry

* I rode the subways in NYC for many years for school and jobs.  Most people cannot imagine the "packing" of people in rush hour.  I tell you true, no exaggerations, it's hard to move your arms in that kind of press.  Reading a newspaper requires special techniques to turn the pages, and there's a special way to fold and hold the paper in that kind of situation.  It is said that the smaller tabloid format of newspapers, like the NY Daily News, was a result of this.  Full-sized papers like the New York Times required a special four-fold technique such that it took up only about six inches horizontally.  And that tickling on your ass could be a pervert or just a corner of that lady's purse as the train swayed.  No 'sta chite, mon.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 04:50:50 AM by 230RN »