Author Topic: Wisconsin proposes $1/pack cigarette tax increase  (Read 2799 times)

Gun Runner

• friend
  • Citizens United Negating Tyranny
Re: Wisconsin proposes $1/pack cigarette tax increase
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2006, 11:39:36 AM »
We already got our $1 a pack increase last year.  Rep. Gov. promises, "no new taxes" and so lables this a "health impact fee".  Dick.

We have reservations a plenty but no price break there either for some reason.

I do miss the good old days of $19.99 cartons for name brands.  The state next door has them for $28, but that's still not a bargain.

I've seen them sold in cigarette machines at a resort miles from anywhere for $7 a pack, generics included.
"I once took the high road and it took me straight to hell, and I stood there all by myself" - III

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2006, 01:54:43 PM »
Well, I called my state representative, as well as my senator.

My state senator hasn't returned my call. Thanks a lot, Tim. I got a couple of people to give $1500 to your friend's senate campaign. The least you could do would be to ask a staff member to return my call.

My state rep called back, and said the tax increase won't go anywhere. But she's such a bubblehead that I don't think the Democrat leadership even lets her know when they're having caucus meetings.

I love the way politicians run things. "I will not raise taxes on Wisconsin citizens." That's codespeak for, "instead, I'm going to raise motor vehicle registration fees by 55%, increase the fee for 'anti-smoking initiatives' by 230%, increase the fees for hunting licenses by 50%, and look for other 'revenue sources.' And I will not raise your property taxes. Instead, we'll just reassess your home. If it was worth $150,000 last year, it must be worth at least $300,000 today."

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2006, 05:05:54 PM »
Our state instituted a "user fee" per pack. It was fought to the state supreme court by tobacco companies as a violation of the jillon dollar settlement. Our state supreme court ruled it was not a violation of the settlement.

This "fee" was brought to us by a Republican governor who promised not to raise taxes. This wasn't a tax, it was a fee.

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2006, 08:58:45 AM »
Wisconsin is having budget problems,

Who cares?  angry

Ron

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2006, 10:36:40 AM »
If they want to increase revenue they should cut the taxes so the price of a carton is much cheaper than the surrounding states.

That will increase revenue guaranteed. Everyone from northern Illinois will have the same opportunity that those in Illinois next to Indiana have. Cheap smokes.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2006, 11:52:41 AM »
Ron, that's a great idea. But the do-gooders want to increase revenues by increasing taxe on cigarettes, so the public will stop buying cigarettes. Catch-22.

Years back, Canada raised the tax on cigarettes to outrageous levels. The result was people buying cigarettes in the US and bringing them back home. Tax revenues fell, so the government reduced the taxes so they could collect more.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2006, 01:31:29 PM »
And I will not raise your property taxes. Instead, we'll just reassess your home. If it was worth $150,000 last year, it must be worth at least $300,000 today."

I just about had an aneurism when I opened my property tax bill. To add insult to injury, the little letter from the villaeg president talked about how proud he was that the village tax rate didn't go up. Yeah, and now my house is assessed for $50,000 more than what houses are selling for in my neighborhood (or make trying to sell, many houses have been on the market for 2 years or more for asking prices a lot lower than what my property is assessed at).   angry (note: there isn't an emoticon on this board angy enough to express my feelings. Something involving a head banging against a wall why cursing and vomiting at the same time would be about right)
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2006, 02:06:59 PM »
Brimic, most places have an appeal process if you think your property is appraised too high.
In TN we have not had a proposed increase in any taxes in the last 20 years that was not earmarked for the schools.  You would think our schools would be the best funded on earth by now.  At least last summer the voters in Davidson county managed to see through this fib and voted down another increase.  In the last election the same citizens voted that property taxes could only be increased subject to public approval.  That will end the councilmaniacs' predilection for saying they would never support an increase and then voting for it anyway.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2006, 05:13:11 PM »
Brimic, most places have an appeal process if you think your property is appraised too high.
In TN we have not had a proposed increase in any taxes in the last 20 years that was not earmarked for the schools.  You would think our schools would be the best funded on earth by now.

I know about the appeals system, but its almost pointless- I talked to my neighbors and we all got assessed about the same- within a few thousand or so... Individuals appealing would do no good- the village will say "look at the 10 properties to either side of yours, they are all assessed the same. angry

The worst part is that our village doesn't even have a public school yet except for a small grade school. The village has doubled in size since I lived here, and there will be demand to build a middle and grade school soon. I think that will probably be about the time I move.

Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2006, 05:22:50 PM »
At least last summer the voters in Davidson county managed to see through this fib and voted down another increase.  In the last election the same citizens voted that property taxes could only be increased subject to public approval.

Unfortunately we don't have that kind of representation in our state. In our state, its whatever the x wants, x gets (insert Teachers Union, Government workers union, road builders/construction companies that own the politicians, or pet project of local politicians for 'X').  The republican controlled congress tried to get a 'Tax payers bill of rights' into law a few years ago, but Gov Jim Doyle and most democRATs in the state didn't think that citizens should have the right/power to determine how much they are taxed. Interestingly enough the other high profile right/power that the citizens wanted but Dyle vehemently opposed was concealed carry. At least I had the satisfaction of voting out the republican representative in my district who opposed the tax bill through inaction (she was the assembly majority leader) at a time when it could have been made law and replacing her with a much more conservative republican.

Barack Obama