Author Topic: CreditKarma tax service  (Read 1402 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
CreditKarma tax service
« on: January 01, 2017, 09:03:18 AM »
CreditKarma has announced that they're offering free tax prep this year, state and local.

Anyone going to try it? I'm thinking about it. I've been using TaxAct for the past 10 or so years. I may do what I did when I first started using TaxAct -- do my taxes in both TaxAct and in Turbotax and make sure that match.

I have some complex investment reporting requirements due to my having a number of Limited Master Partnership holdings, so I'm really wondering if CK will handle those -- TaxAct doesn't do a particularly great job with them.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: CreditKarma tax service
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 09:31:40 AM »
My 1940-50 Brooklyn Street Paranoia, enhanced by my 1995 Geriatric Paranoia, begs the question:  "Where's their money coming from?"

Then, enhanced by my 2003 Internet Paranoia, the further question arises:  "Won't they get all your nice phishing information?"

Yeah, I'm crazy, but I'm compelled in 2017 to ask:  "What then?"

It's like that LifeLock thing.  To monitor your financial  situation, they need to know about your financial situation.

What then?

As someone once said, a cat who's jumped on a hot stove will never do it again.  Nor will he ever jump on a cold stove, either.

Terry

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 09:35:00 AM »
If you've ever used their site, you know that the majority of their money comes from the heavy overlay of ads for credit cards, banks, etc. If you've not used their site, well now you know where the majority of their money comes from. :)

Here's their privacy policy. It's actually not too bad.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 09:38:24 AM »
If you've ever used their site, you know that the majority of their money comes from the heavy overlay of ads for credit cards, banks, etc. If you've not used their site, well now you know where the majority of their money comes from. :)

Here's their privacy policy. It's actually not too bad.

Apparently it's non-existent....   :P
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 09:43:09 AM »
Apparently it's non-existent....   :P

They know everything about you... and are watching!

:rofl:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 09:45:16 AM »
OK, here's CreditKarma's privacy policy...

https://www.creditkarma.com/about/privacy

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 10:19:29 AM »
Yeah, note the word "policy."  Like my bank and AARP, among others.  About every three or four months I get a notification from someone regarding unilateral changes in their "policies."

Hey, go ahead.  Who am I to offer up my outlandish suggestions anyhow?

Besides, you can always enlist the direct help of the IRS in working out your complex tax situation.  Then you can go over their stuff and amend it before you sign anything or write any checks.  And they have all your nitty gritty data anyhow.

Sorry I jumped in there with my paranoid delusions.

Terry  [tinfoil]  :old:

https://youtu.be/Jmg86CRBBtw

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 12:14:20 PM »
You do realize your home telegraph line is likely being tapped?

They know your dits and dahs...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 12:52:56 PM »
I've been hit with so freaking many data breaches in the past few years, including the OPM one that got not only my information, but my fingerprints, that I'm not sure that it really freaking matters anymore.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 01:26:15 PM »
I've been hit with so freaking many data breaches in the past few years, including the OPM one that got not only my information, but my fingerprints, that I'm not sure that it really freaking matters anymore.

Sounds like me only without the breeches (that I am aware of). People squawk about not wanting "the govt to know X about them" [tinfoil] and I tell them that after a FBI security check as a child (our whole family, long story), USN ENT-NAC clearance, FFL, 4 in state resident CHP's (one was "may issue" and was a BITCH to get!) and 1 out of state, all the guns I have bought over the years and as many web sites as I run, my "public life" as a Gun Rights Group Officer, FM radio DJ, musician and internet PITA, WHY BOTHER??? Let them read my mail/email/text! I have nothing to hide and would say what I have to say to the President's face in front of Congress and America and not blink.

:old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!