Author Topic: Who Will Sing for Trump?  (Read 5605 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Who Will Sing for Trump?
« on: December 22, 2016, 12:45:06 PM »
I found it interesting that no big names will perform at the inauguration. I would fully expect the "pop and rock" segment to go SJW, but am surprised no big country names will perform. It could be that some that would haven't been asked, but it seems a good portion of the country genre performers should be a gimme.

Maybe he should just get a good orchestra to perform the 1812 Overture. :)

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2016/12/22/donald-trump-struggling-to-secure-talent-to-perform-at-inauguration.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Who Will Sing for Trump?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 12:57:08 PM »
I'm struggling to understand why there needs to be singing at a political swearing in. I assume we taxpayers foot the bill for this shindig. It should be about ten minutes.

"Hold up your right hand. Do you swear to uphold the Constitution of the United States of America, so help you God?"

"Yes."

"Have a nice day, folks. See you back at the office."

I just took my oath of office for another term as a justice of the peace. It took less than five minutes, and it took that long only because the assistant town clerk couldn't find my certificate (suitable for framing). My term is four years, the President's term is four years. I see no reason why he gets a concert and I don't.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 01:04:11 PM »
I'm struggling to understand why there needs to be singing at a political swearing in.

Same here.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 01:07:25 PM »
Same here.

Ditto.  Or should I say mega dittos?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 01:23:09 PM »
I'm struggling to understand why there needs to be singing at a political swearing in. I assume we taxpayers foot the bill for this shindig. It should be about ten minutes.

"Hold up your right hand. Do you swear to uphold the Constitution of the United States of America, so help you God?"

"Yes."

"Have a nice day, folks. See you back at the office."

I just took my oath of office for another term as a justice of the peace. It took less than five minutes, and it took that long only because the assistant town clerk couldn't find my certificate (suitable for framing). My term is four years, the President's term is four years. I see no reason why he gets a concert and I don't.

Yours obviously isn't a dog and pony show.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 01:44:41 PM »
I'm actually curious as to when the whole making the inauguration into an Oscar party started? I'm pretty sure George Washington didn't have Prince perform.

I can see that stuff for the various inauguration parties that happen, but for the official deal, it seems like having a good rendition (in honor of vaskidmark) of the anthem and a few of the requisite speeches (that you're never going to get rid of anyway) would be good. Leave the entertainment to the parties that are held at private expense.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 03:21:46 PM »
The Lieutenant Dan Band?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 04:20:05 PM »
I found it interesting that no big names will perform at the inauguration. I would fully expect the "pop and rock" segment to go SJW, but am surprised no big country names will perform. It could be that some that would haven't been asked, but it seems a good portion of the country genre performers should be a gimme.

The Donald should just sing the Star Spangled Banner himself and call it done.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 04:34:43 PM »
The Donald should just sing the Star Spangled Banner himself and call it done.

He could sing it better than anybody.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 04:53:00 PM »
He could sing it better than anybody.

Maybe Obama will sing "My Way."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 05:03:45 PM »
Maybe the Stones? Just kidding, but Trump played a lot of Stones' songs at his rallies. I wonder how much he paid them.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2016, 05:12:27 PM »
If you really need music, the USMC band.
"It's good, though..."

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2016, 05:13:44 PM »
Maybe the Stones? Just kidding, but Trump played a lot of Stones' songs at his rallies. I wonder how much he paid them.

He didn't pay them directly. He had a licensing agreement with BMG or ASCAP, or maybe there is a third one. You buy a license to their catalog and you can just play whatever you want from their catalog. They pay the performers for the rights to license their music. It's the same thing Bars, Restaurants and other venues do. It's the reason he could ignore all the mucisians who complained about his playing their music.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2016, 05:14:15 PM »

That would be awesome, plus SJW tears!  :laugh:

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2016, 05:19:51 PM »

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2016, 08:44:05 PM »
He can't get the Dixie Chicks?   :P

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2016, 09:49:46 PM »

Hells yes,  The President's own. 

And they're already on payroll so no one can bitch  :cool:
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2016, 12:47:33 AM »
I don't know if it's mentioned in the OP, but the unAmericans are planning some sort of Leftapalooza concert for Inauguration Day. If that goes forward, I suspect Trump will be smart enough or well-advised enough to Tweet something about how he's so glad to see people celebrating America on the day of his Inauguration, and he's sorry he will have to miss it, due to becoming president.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2016, 09:15:27 AM »
Hells yes,  The President's own. 

And they're already on payroll so no one can bitch  :cool:

Actually, I think just the Marine Band and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir would make for a perfectly dignified inauguration.  No need to get anyone else.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2016, 09:27:13 AM »
...a perfectly dignified inauguration.

They still make those?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2016, 10:33:04 AM »
The Rockettes speak out on being "forced" to perform:

"forcing a group of women to do something with their bodies against their will"

The comments are all pretty good though, especially about cake baking.

http://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2016/12/23/takes-the-cake-nbc-news-lisa-bloom-rockettes-shouldnt-have-to-perform-for-trump-against-their-beliefs/

The more I think about it, the better a military band sounds. Appropriate to the occasion, and it would drive SJWs nuts. Maybe throw in a church choir (I bet there are lots that would volunteer) singing "Battle Hymn of the Republic".  =D

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2016, 10:48:16 AM »
Actually, I think just the Marine Band and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir would make for a perfectly dignified inauguration.  No need to get anyone else.
You trying to get on Romney's good side or something?

If the military bands are not available, I am sure the Fighting Texas Aggie Band could make time.  They are still a military style marching band.  However, I think the best would be to get the bands from each of the services (I assume they each have one?) to play a set.  Any of the military bands or all of them would be more appropriate than any civilian music group or singer. 

It would be great to see the liberal talking heads go on about it.  I am not quite sure what reaction they would have, but I am sure they wouldn't understand.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2016, 11:09:23 AM »
You're not sure what reaction they'd have? It would be more evidence of literallyHitlerfascism.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2016, 11:36:28 AM »
I started to mention the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band (former member, class of '82), and I'm sure they'd do it, but I think the USMC band puts on a better concert.  I don't know about the other services.
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2016, 12:23:06 PM »
The Rockettes speak out on being "forced" to perform:

The comments are all pretty good though, especially about cake baking.

http://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2016/12/23/takes-the-cake-nbc-news-lisa-bloom-rockettes-shouldnt-have-to-perform-for-trump-against-their-beliefs/

The more I think about it, the better a military band sounds. Appropriate to the occasion, and it would drive SJWs nuts. Maybe throw in a church choir (I bet there are lots that would volunteer) singing "Battle Hymn of the Republic".  =D

Are they being "forced" to perform for free? This seems to me to fall into the same category as that county clerk who refused to sign marriage licenses for same-sex couples: It's the job, stupid. You're not "forced" to do it. Nobody has a gun you your head, or is holding your first-born child as a hostage. If it violates your beliefs, you can always quit the Rockettes and find a job as a barista.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design