Author Topic: How to save someone with an opiate overdose  (Read 817 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
How to save someone with an opiate overdose
« on: December 23, 2016, 04:03:31 PM »
http://stopoverdose.org/section/take-the-online-training/

Because of the prevalence of opiate use, all of us should take a few minutes out of our lives to watch the video. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: How to save someone with an opiate overdose
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 07:06:43 PM »
Okay, I'll be your attending curmudgeon for this evening:

WHY should I intervene if a doper wants to kill him/herself with an overdose? "Saving a life" is just postponing the inevitable.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 07:56:14 PM »
As someone who has had occasion to be prescribed large amounts of codone based narcotics for various ailments/surgeries in and out of the service, I can say with some authority that, when on one's own and caring for one's self, it can be quite easy to lose track of when you took your last dose and when you should take your next dose as you still hurt a good deal even though, according to observers, you were already as high as a kite. Do that enough and you are well overdosed. Me? I just got mad at a Coke machine when it took my money and didn't give my drink. I broke the machine and fractured my hand when I punched it (I did get my drink). I didn't know till the next morning when I woke with a sore hand and someone told me what I did. I started writing down what I took and when...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 08:18:03 PM »
Depends who they are . I know folks who I might not save. Others I would. I am today right grateful to the emt's in 81 who brought me back

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 04:37:01 AM »
Okay, I'll be your attending curmudgeon for this evening:

WHY should I intervene if a doper wants to kill him/herself with an overdose? "Saving a life" is just postponing the inevitable.

Maybe this article is aimed at people who are Christians and who might want to do something compassionate in Christ's example.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 08:36:46 AM »
Maybe this article is aimed at people who are Christians and who might want to do something compassionate in Christ's example.

Burn!  :laugh:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 09:52:58 AM »
I took the title to mean that you could save someone by using an opiate overdose.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 11:04:15 AM »

Mate, my daughter has attempted suicide eight times over the past year and a half. She's in another country, so there was no way for me to intervene (or not) in any of the incidents. She was "saved" each time, a few of them by what could be classified as "heroic" measures. From a Christian perspective, I have to wonder if the various EMTs and doctors who saved her each time did her any favors.

Kindly don't presume to lecture me about my religion. You have no idea who any of us are or what we've been through.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2016, 11:39:20 AM »
Mate, my daughter has attempted suicide eight times over the past year and a half. She's in another country, so there was no way for me to intervene (or not) in any of the incidents. She was "saved" each time, a few of them by what could be classified as "heroic" measures. From a Christian perspective, I have to wonder if the various EMTs and doctors who saved her each time did her any favors.

Kindly don't presume to lecture me about my religion. You have no idea who any of us are or what we've been through.

The same applies to you and all those "dopers" that you don't know but are willing to pass judgment on.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2016, 11:53:12 AM »
I can't believe I'm the one calling for calm but, come on guys, Please cease poking each other with the sharp sticks of religion, family and personal experiences that differ from your own.

Please?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2016, 12:00:26 PM »
Merry *expletive deleted*ing Christmas.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”