Author Topic: Obama "Sanctions" Russia  (Read 5244 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Obama "Sanctions" Russia
« on: December 29, 2016, 02:54:13 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/12/29/obama-orders-sanctions-against-russia-expels-operatives-in-response-to-hacking.html

Like Putin is worried.

In addition to the sanctions, the State Department has declared 35 Russian intelligence operatives "persona non grata" in the U.S., and is shutting down two Russian compounds in Maryland and New York.

What componds?  If they are consulates, wouldn't they be sovereign Russian property and he couldn't touch them?

Can't wait for the "evidence" considering he is saying it has been multiple elections.  Wonder if they were 2008 and 2012 that helped him get elected.
Obama also said that the administration will be providing a report to Congress "in the coming days" about Russian attempts to interfere in the election, as well as previous election cycles.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Obama "Sanctions" Russia
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 03:06:16 PM »
Would it be too out there to wonder if Obama's not deliberately provoking Russia and Israel, just to leave a mess for Trump? What's next? Incursions into Canada?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 03:24:40 PM »
Would it be too out there to wonder if Obama's not deliberately provoking Russia and Israel, just to leave a mess for Trump? What's next? Incursions into Canada?

Well, I would imagine that a sensible retaliation for Putin would be to expel US operatives from his country, tit for tat, so that would certainly be a headache for Trump.

I'm also still waiting for evidence, while keeping in mind that this was a DNC hack (that, at least regarding the Podesta hack, could have been pulled off by a bored 13 year old), not an "election hack". McCain is not helping matters.

Regarding Israel, that just seems to be pure spoiled child, since Netanyahu has already said things will be different in a few weeks, so no real headache for the Trump admin there (other than from our own pro-palestine politicians).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 03:51:04 PM »
I'm also still waiting for evidence, while keeping in mind that this was a DNC hack (that, at least regarding the Podesta hack, could have been pulled off by a bored 13 year old), not an "election hack". McCain is not helping matters.
A report was released today, although it's almost entirely nonsense to me so I don't know if it counts as evidence. There's a few nice flow charts though. =D
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 04:46:57 PM »

I'd  sooner expect a surrender to Mexico and an executive order returning all "occupied lands".
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 05:01:52 PM »

https://www.scribd.com/document/335307386/JAR-16-20296#fullscreen&from_embed

Mostly the report fails to mention that these were NOT government computers, but strictly private organizations. That had hilariously bad password management and virtually no security. There should have been user training, two factor authentication (preferably NOT the smartphone variety either), regular audits, etc.

The 'report' is entirely generic. There's very very little meaningful information. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 05:26:15 PM »
https://www.scribd.com/document/335307386/JAR-16-20296#fullscreen&from_embed

Mostly the report fails to mention that these were NOT government computers, but strictly private organizations. That had hilariously bad password management and virtually no security. There should have been user training, two factor authentication (preferably NOT the smartphone variety either), regular audits, etc.

The 'report' is entirely generic. There's very very little meaningful information. 

Good points that the MSM and other usual suspects are ignoring. You certainly know more about this stuff than I do Rev, so correct me if I'm wrong. Based on the info I've seen out there, most of the incursions were or were started via PEBKAC and similar. I mean, Clinton lost Blackberries what, six times? Those were gov devices. I have to wonder how many DNC related private devices were misplaced, not watched over, etc. Then of course falling for even the obvious social engineering attempts.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 05:52:34 PM »

Only if he and his family lead the charge.

(Southpark quotes withheld.)

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 05:59:21 PM »
I want to see the Russian hack the Republicans next  >:D 
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 06:12:51 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/12/29/obama-orders-sanctions-against-russia-expels-operatives-in-response-to-hacking.html

Like Putin is worried.

Putin, China, the rest of the world knows these aren't the actions of "America", but of a lame duck politician losing power.

It's just more stuff for Trump to reverse when he gets into office.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 06:13:58 PM »
Good points that the MSM and other usual suspects are ignoring. You certainly know more about this stuff than I do Rev, so correct me if I'm wrong. Based on the info I've seen out there, most of the incursions were or were started via PEBKAC and similar. I mean, Clinton lost Blackberries what, six times? Those were gov devices. I have to wonder how many DNC related private devices were misplaced, not watched over, etc. Then of course falling for even the obvious social engineering attempts.

Do you really believe she lost all those Blackberries? I don't. I think she screwed them up to a point of not being usable and, rather than admit that she had screwed them up (and probably compromised classified information), she conveniently reported them as "lost" and just got a new one and started over.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 06:28:19 PM »
. . . keeping in mind that this was a DNC hack (that, at least regarding the Podesta hack, could have been pulled off by a bored 13 year old), not an "election hack".
If "the election" was hacked, I'd expect that voting machines, vote totals, voter registration lists, maybe even recounts were tampered with . . . but by all official reports, they weren't. So the ELECTION wasn't hacked, DEMOCRATS were. And we learned about their shady, unethical, backroom deals against Bernie Sanders, some racist emails, cheating with a complicit media, etc. This is WHISTLEBLOWING, it shined a light on corruption, and not ELECTION hacking.

. . . McCain is not helping matters.
When has this Keating Five veteran EVER helped America as a politician? (He's appearing of late with Lindsay Graham, too, which is NOT a point in either man's favor.)

I saw a report that "someone" (Russians?) actually tried  - repeatedly - to hack the RNC, but was defeated, since they had some actual security in place.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 07:18:01 PM »

Allegedly already done. Just didn't release any or much of it. If you are a GOP type, feel free to believe it was because there was nothing to release. If you are Leftist or cynical, Russia didn't want to release information about the folks not warmongering against them.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 07:19:44 PM »

Report says it straight out. They sent spam emails to con people into giving out their password or install malware. Term is spearphishing, individually targeted phishing emails.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2016, 07:45:43 PM »
Why isn't anyone listening to Julian Assange? He said that the DNC was not "hacked", but rather that the emails came from a DNC insider who was mad about what was going on.

We can believe Obama, we can believe Hillary, we can believe the FBI, we can believe the CIA, or we can believe Julian Assange. I'll take Assange any day.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2016, 10:05:41 PM »
Allegedly already done. Just didn't release any or much of it. If you are a GOP type, feel free to believe it was because there was nothing to release. If you are Leftist or cynical, Russia didn't want to release information about the folks not warmongering against them.

Not seeing a downside to either of those.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2016, 12:37:31 AM »
Wait, isn't Obama the one who sent an election team to help the folks running against Netanyahu?  What a hypocrite.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2016, 01:38:59 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2016, 08:53:26 AM »
Why isn't anyone listening to Julian Assange? He said that the DNC was not "hacked", but rather that the emails came from a DNC insider who was mad about what was going on.

We can believe Obama, we can believe Hillary, we can believe the FBI, we can believe the CIA, or we can believe Julian Assange. I'll take Assange any day.

Na. We can believe all of them have separate agendas, none of which are necessarily the truth. Wikileaks was intended by Assange to be an ego project to build a cult following. One should always take that into account. He focuses mainly on the US and western countries because they won't kill him and they're easy targets. Sure, they'll try to pull legal shenanigans but generally not have him shot in the back of the head or poisoned.

Obama wants to throw some roadblocks in the next President's way. From his perspective, to hopefully lessen damage to his policies by Trump and restrict Trump's options. Making him look overly friendly and/or dependent on the Russians will be effective. Hillary is exceptionally bitter at losing an election that she believes should have been her coronation, it's solely about taking any bit of revenge she can muster.

The FBI is caught politically. They let Hillary off from felony charges when most of the agents know she broke the law. But the FBI essentially deciding the elections will have consequences. Now politicians on both sides are furious at them. Republicans for the FBI playing along with the DOJ political theater of "clearing her" and Democrats for not doing a good enough of playing along. They're trying to stay in the middle of the road, which was impossible.

CIA has its own interests. I laughed at the NPR when they had General Hayden for an interview, and he claimed the CIA was not partisan and didn't play partisan politics. All agencies, and the overwhelming majority of government employees, within a hundred miles of DC play partisan politics. If they weren't interested in partisan politics, they would have wrangled a transfer to ANY other branch office or facility to get the hell away from that hive of villainy and scum. Hayden in particular is a good example. As far as I'm aware, he lied to Congress about illegal domestic surveillance in direct violation of the Constitution. Plus yanno, torture, Gitmo population, etc. Congress were complete morons when they didn't at least TRY to throw him into prison for repeatedly lying to them AND illegally monitoring them while they were investigating his crimes.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2016, 09:02:28 AM »
I've been trying to remember how many sanctions were enacted after the OPM hacks, which actually were breaks into gov systems that took valuable data. Oh wait...

I find it a little hard to believe that the Russians bungled so badly while running simple social engineering attacks on private systems that we absolutely know it was them, but we could never act against "maybe the Chinese, maybe the Russians, maybe the Russian mob, maybe a kid in Uzbekistan" who pulled off the OPM incursions because they were too smart to leave a footprint on systems that actually have intrusion detection software.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2016, 09:22:48 AM »
If "the election" was hacked, I'd expect that voting machines, vote totals, voter registration lists, maybe even recounts were tampered with . . . but by all official reports, they weren't. So the ELECTION wasn't hacked, DEMOCRATS were. And we learned about their shady, unethical, backroom deals against Bernie Sanders, some racist emails, cheating with a complicit media, etc. This is WHISTLEBLOWING, it shined a light on corruption, and not ELECTION hacking.

I do have to give Obama's people credit from the tactics perspective of coming up with the term "election hack". It's almost as powerful for them with the general headline reading population as "climate denier" is. I've been seeing people on the TeeVee who, while criticizing Obama and knowing this was only a hack of DNC related computers and even while saying that no ballot machines were touched, still calling this an "election hack". Same as when people speak out against the politics of AGW, but still use the term "climate denier" to describe their side of the argument.

Your average knucklehead completely ignores the facts and just remembers "election hack". Oh noes!!! ballots were magically changed by the ruskies!!!!* Nevermind that so far almost all the actual election fraud that has been discovered has favored dem candidates.

* I don't believe there is any doubt that the leaked dem emails hurt dems, and why dem emails were leaked but not republican emails is another conversation, as is "was it right to do so?" Obama et al however, seem more concerned with using the hacks against Trump et al than in seeking justice or getting to the truth. Let alone admitting even one of the leaked emails was in any way wrong and addressing the content of the leaks.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2016, 09:30:30 AM »
Putin appears to be ignoring Obama.  http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/12/30/putin-vows-not-to-stoop-to-obamas-level-after-us-kicks-out-russian-intel-operatives.html

I was just about to post that. Whatever else you can say about Putin, the guy knows how to play an elegant game of chess. Of course he's not exactly facing a master opponent.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2016, 09:32:26 AM »
I was just about to post that. Whatever else you can say about Putin, the guy knows how to play an elegant game of chess.

I do agree with that, he appears to be a grand master currently playing against a developmentally disabled toddler.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2016, 10:27:56 AM »
Putin also realizes that in just about 3 weeks that not only does the game player change but the game is going to be completely different and probably with no rules to follow.  Think of the games Hawkeye and BJ used to play on MASH.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!