Author Topic: Pacemakers as Evidence in a Crime  (Read 1247 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Pacemakers as Evidence in a Crime
« on: February 08, 2017, 12:15:52 PM »
This story is from 30,000 feet, and it appears the evidence is considered circumstantial, but it's an interesting debate question. Someone without a pacemaker might have gotten away with this. Also, when things like artificial hearts are the norm, there's going to be a lot of stored data available, primarily for medical monitoring, but - slippery slope. Kind of creates a situation where people who have natural organs replaced could have less rights than those who don't.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/02/08/police-use-data-on-mans-pacemaker-to-charge-him-with-ohio-arson.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Pacemakers as Evidence in a Crime
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 12:35:32 PM »
Kind of creates a situation where people who have natural organs replaced could have less rights than those who don't.

But unfortunately, we don't yet restrict the rights of people with poor grammar.   [ar15]

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 12:44:47 PM »
But unfortunately, we don't yet restrict the rights of people with poor grammar.   [ar15]

Or homemade jack stands.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 02:25:01 PM »
Maybe you should make a sentence diagramming app for android phones.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 02:30:16 PM »
I suspect the gasoline on his clothing is more critical evidence along with all the stuff he packed in his car during his "escape" from the fire.

I do wonder why they say the fire caused $400,000 in damage.  For most people, that is a new house (or two).

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 04:58:47 PM »
Or homemade jack stands.

That tends to be a self correcting situation.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 05:21:44 PM »
I suspect the gasoline on his clothing is more critical evidence along with all the stuff he packed in his car during his "escape" from the fire.

I do wonder why they say the fire caused $400,000 in damage.  For most people, that is a new house (or two).

That is up the way from me and $400,000 in that town would mean it is a palace.

ETA:
Quote from: From another article
The fire caused about $400,000 in damages to the structure and contents of the 2,000-square-foot home on Court Donegal, according to Deputy Fire Chief Jeff Spaulding.

Here is the county auditor's info on the home value: http://propertysearch.butlercountyohio.org/PT/Datalets/Datalet.aspx?sIndex=0&idx=29  They list the value at $110,480, I wonder what his contents were to bring the total up to $400,000.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 05:28:08 PM »
Here is the county auditor's info on the home value: http://propertysearch.butlercountyohio.org/PT/Datalets/Datalet.aspx?sIndex=0&idx=29  They list the value at $110,480, I wonder what his contents were to bring the total up to $400,000.

What, you don't keep a quarter mil in completely undocumented cash in your sock drawer?

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 06:16:56 PM »
What, you don't keep a quarter mil in completely undocumented cash in your sock drawer?

Not anymore.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 06:27:53 PM »
That is up the way from me and $400,000 in that town would mean it is a palace.

ETA:

Since he likely will get convicted of arson, I imagine the false contents claim will go unpaid also.