Author Topic: Change in News Coverage  (Read 3277 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Change in News Coverage
« on: January 23, 2017, 11:55:31 AM »
I've noticed a large change in coverage of the president from last week.

Suddenly, 90% of the pictures used to illustrate articles are unflattering pictures. Last week, it was 90% that were flattering.

I wonder how everything changed so suddenly?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Change in New Coverage
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 12:00:58 PM »
The temporary truce ended when Spicer held his first press briefing and presented his "alternative facts" regarding attendance at the inauguration. And then Kellyanne Conway doubled down on the obvious fiction with her "alternative facts" foolishness.

Bloody idiots. Trump should fire them both. There's no such thing as "alternative facts." For once, I am forced to agree with the media.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 12:02:40 PM »
Yeah, I hate the "alternative facts" line.  Should have just stuck with "Actual facts" vs media spin.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 12:03:25 PM »
The temporary truce ended when Spicer held his first press briefing and presented his "alternative facts" regarding attendance at the inauguration. And then Kellyanne Conway doubled down on the obvious fiction with her "alternative facts" foolishness.

Bloody idiots. Trump should fire them both. There's no such thing as "alternative facts." For once, I am forced to agree with the media.

What temporary truce? The media have been out for blood non-stop since they were defeated in November. (This is their coverage of the president. Not the president-elect.)

I'm pointing out that they want to control the narrative so much, that they make sure the visuals of their enemies are unflattering and of their champions, flattering.

Look at the Hillary pictures in the articles and compare to Trump pictures. For example, I'm noticing that well over 50% are ones they captured with Mr. Trump's mouth open.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 12:19:53 PM »

I'm pointing out that they want to control the narrative so much, that they make sure the visuals of their enemies are unflattering and of their champions, flattering.

Look at the Hillary pictures in the articles and compare to Trump pictures. For example, I'm noticing that well over 50% are ones they captured with Mr. Trump's mouth open.

Of course. Are you suggesting that right/conservative-oriented outlets used only the most flattering photographs available of Obama and Hillary?

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: Change in News Coverage
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 01:44:42 PM »
You know, this fight about numbers is a really bad sign.  If the administration is going to fight over petty stuff like this with the press, it's going to be a long four years.  Correct statement should have been... "I don't know how many people attended the inauguration.  I was busy watching President Trump take the oath of office, not counting heads.  He's the president now.  That's all that matters."  All this number crap is just more popular vote vs. electoral college crap that's been argued about since the day after the election.  Know what people?  The electoral college is the law.  Don't like it?  Start a movement to amend the Constitution.  Good luck getting the "fly over" parts of the country to essentially concede the presidential elections to the two coasts by voting to go straight popular vote.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 02:24:16 PM »
I've noticed a large change in coverage of the president from last week.

Suddenly, 90% of the pictures used to illustrate articles are unflattering pictures. Last week, it was 90% that were flattering.

I wonder how everything changed so suddenly?

Because he's white, wealthy and didn't grow up as a poor inner city youth. Free to pick on and berate his every word.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 03:05:51 PM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 02:26:40 PM »
You know, this fight about numbers is a really bad sign.  If the administration is going to fight over petty stuff like this with the press, it's going to be a long four years.  Correct statement should have been... "I don't know how many people attended the inauguration.  I was busy watching President Trump take the oath of office, not counting heads.  He's the president now.  That's all that matters."  All this number crap is just more popular vote vs. electoral college crap that's been argued about since the day after the election.  Know what people?  The electoral college is the law.  Don't like it?  Start a movement to amend the Constitution.  Good luck getting the "fly over" parts of the country to essentially concede the presidential elections to the two coasts by voting to go straight popular vote.

It might be strategic.   "We know you *expletive deleted*ers are going to spin everything against us, but good luck, we'll challenge you on everything you report and take our case directly to the American people.  We'll make you irrelevant."

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 03:02:04 PM »

Scout may be right there.

Personally, I'd prefer a president that is above the fray and limits his responses.

I saw what the press did to such a president, though.

Given Mr. Trump's successes, I'm willing to entertain the notion that fighting them on EVERYTHING is a better tactic.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 04:24:59 PM »

Personally, I'd prefer a president that is above the fray and limits his responses.

I saw what the press did to such a president, though.

Given Mr. Trump's successes, I'm willing to entertain the notion that fighting them on EVERYTHING is a better tactic.

This.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 05:47:17 PM »
Also, the fighting on the little *expletive deleted*it could be a distraction on bigger items.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 06:51:51 PM »
there will be no change in the left wing media's daily assault on the President.  Bush just took it.  Trump will OWN them shortly.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 08:22:28 PM »
there will be no change in the left wing media's daily assault on the President.  Bush just took it.  Trump will OWN them shortly.

I'd bet there will be a change, they will ramp up "derp" and shrillness of the attacks.

OMG!!11!! Trump only stopped to retie his RIGHT shoe! What a disgusting bigot!!!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 08:41:16 PM »
Also, the fighting on the little *expletive deleted*it could be a distraction on bigger items.

Like doubling-down on not releasing his tax returns?
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 08:47:04 PM »
It would be fun if, at the end of his second term, he released his actual tax records, but gave them some reason to believe they were forged.  ;)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 09:22:46 PM »
It might be strategic.   "We know you *expletive deleted*ers are going to spin everything against us, but good luck, we'll challenge you on everything you report and take our case directly to the American people.  We'll make you irrelevant."

That might (or might not) be a valid strategy if the administration was right. In this case, they were wrong, and they got caught. Trump is the President -- he doesn't need to claim that everything he does set a record.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 09:44:55 PM »
Trump will OWN them shortly.

I honestly don't see much changing with regards to the media. The segment of the population that hates "the media" is already in the Trump camp for the most part, I doubt the rest are going to suddenly see things differently. It's not like him attacking them is new, it was a big part of his campaign and I'm sure it earned him a lot of votes.

1/4 of the country thinks that Trump is about to expose the media as a bunch of whacked out leftist liars, and another 1/4 of the country think that the media is about to expose Trump as cartoon villain. Their minds are already made up and everyone else is done paying attention.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2017, 12:02:14 AM »

That would be one in a row for me !!!

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2017, 07:04:44 AM »
"If the administration is going to fight over petty stuff like this with the press, it's going to be a long four years."

It's already been a freaking eternity...

Someone needs to convince him to take down his twitter account.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2017, 08:36:11 AM »

"Alternative facts"?  Seriously?  That sounds like something out of the leftist playbook. This is not the first time each of them has made absolutely boneheaded statements.
I find myself in agreement with Hawkmoon.  Less than a week in and it's already time for some personnel changes in the Trump administration.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2017, 11:52:18 AM »

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2017, 11:57:59 AM »
"Russian propaganda has convinced you the media is bad"

Read today on the comments of the Washington Post.

I think I'm just repeating something I heard somewhere, but "The 1980s called and it wants its foreign policy back".

(It's ABSOLUTELY hilarious that the liberals are now fully caught up in a "Red Scare.")

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2017, 11:58:49 AM »
Trump will OWN them shortly.

Literally...or at least his kids or one of his trusts will.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2017, 12:19:47 PM »
While watching Monday's press conference, for some reason Sean Spicer reminded me of an off-his-game Gregory Jbara as Garrett Moore in Blue Bloods.