Author Topic: Giga's Water Treatment Lab Nearly Complete  (Read 4020 times)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Giga's Water Treatment Lab Nearly Complete
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2017, 11:54:47 AM »
Quick question on the Ozone and Chlorine venturi.

What kind of hoses are they?  I'd have thought you'd need PTFE or something like that, but I can't say what the Ozone one is, and the Chlorine one looks kind of generic garden-hosey-ish... to coin a horrid adjective.  =D

BUT... I'm assuming it actually IS the right stuff for the job at hand.

My only other thought/opinion is that we live in a time when ubiquitous computing is here, and you can run an entire water treatment system suitable for a small town off a $40 Raspberry Pi and some assorted $5 sensor doo-dad boards.  [tinfoil]

And the heavy lifting is actually the UI the little computer offers for the admins over the network.

I promise not to duck.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2017, 12:25:57 PM »

What kind of hoses are they?  I'd have thought you'd need PTFE or something like that, but I can't say what the Ozone one is, and the Chlorine one looks kind of generic garden-hosey-ish... to coin a horrid adjective.  =D

My only other thought/opinion is that we live in a time when ubiquitous computing is here, and you can run an entire water treatment system suitable for a small town off a $40 Raspberry Pi and some assorted $5 sensor doo-dad boards.  [tinfoil]

And the heavy lifting is actually the UI the little computer offers for the admins over the network.

I have these Dell 7040 micro form factor PCs on my desk. Five of them make a 1 foot cube. Each one of them is a GOOD honkin' PC. Incredibly fast, can run anything except for fairly large CAD models. Got them for $400 and change from the Dell outlet. A friggin monitor is 30% the cost of the entire good PC.

Integration is still the key. There's still a fairly huge skill cache needed to turn a $40 Pi and random sensor boards into a water treatment system. Software maturity always lags hardware maturity.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2017, 12:55:06 PM »
I have these Dell 7040 micro form factor PCs on my desk. Five of them make a 1 foot cube. Each one of them is a GOOD honkin' PC. Incredibly fast, can run anything except for fairly large CAD models. Got them for $400 and change from the Dell outlet. A friggin monitor is 30% the cost of the entire good PC.

Integration is still the key. There's still a fairly huge skill cache needed to turn a $40 Pi and random sensor boards into a water treatment system. Software maturity always lags hardware maturity.

I was just talking about that with some co-workers the other day. Arduino, Pi, and ChipPC, Edison, and all the others will really take off when some modularity and a high-level GUI comes to the platform for the various shields, sensors, and other sundry various devices to create a integrated product that can be applied to any number of tasks. And of course hopefully remains open-source and attains a high level of interoperability.  Right now, we have the people who can code, but may not necessarily see the needs or the applications (unless they're 99th percentile individuals like you or Giga..), while those who see the needs and the applications may not be able to code.
I promise not to duck.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2017, 01:42:32 PM »
Very cool.

I'd be interested in knowing more about your ozone generating equipment.  Have you sent samples off to a lab yet?  Checks for PCB's, heavy metals, other chemical contaminants?

On Pi's, I'm in love with them.  Here's a system I threw together for real-time monitoring a refrigeration system using a pi with pressure and temperature transducers.  It's amazing what we can get for so little outlay.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2017, 04:19:42 PM »
If you like the Pi, try ODROID.

It's very similar to the Pi, but better in every regard. More stable, faster, has Android OS image, lots of offered accessories. Pis have always had stability issues for me that required at least weekly reboots.

Also, I feel very guilty that my biggest micro form Pi/Beagle/ODROID project was mounting it to a cart so I could watch Netflix while doing stuff outside.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 05:05:15 PM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2017, 09:54:22 PM »

I don't rightly know off the top of my head.  All the hoses were supplied by the chlorine injector company (Regal) and the same with ozone system (Ozone Water Systems).  At some point I've read what they are but it didn't register.  All I really need to know is anything I put inline with stuff I need to make sure it's  safe with ozone or chlorine and that always (seems to at least) go hand-in-hand. 

Ehhh.. maybe I should be more clear.  The computer/pi I built just monitors things and has the capability of opening a single valve to activate chlorine.  I don't actually use any of it yet. The ozone system has it's own processing system that tells it when to turn off/on and how to scale ozone production as well as having about 6 different safety checks that can shut the whole thing down to protect itself.  It'd be an undertaking to replicate all of that and I have no desire to.  I also think the thing cost $80k just for that part of the system.

But even the pi had more than "$5 sensor doo-dad boards" to get the job done. 
Pi - $40
Tentacle shield (the thing with BNC connectors) - $115?
Each shield on the tentacle was $35, so 35=3 = $105
ORP probes are $135 a pop (they contain platinum) x2 = $270
pH probes aren't cheap either, thinking $150 there.. x1 = $150
Relay board ... ok that's cheap.  $6?
Transformer (not shown) $15 (cheap)
So we're at $711 there and then there's the case, back plate, and misc parts.  Easily at $850 for the little guy.

GigaBuist

• friends
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2017, 10:19:24 PM »
I'd be interested in knowing more about your ozone generating equipment. 
Tossing a video up on YouTube right now.  I didn't speak in it due to background noise so I'll just put in captions.

Have you sent samples off to a lab yet?  Checks for PCB's, heavy metals, other chemical contaminants?

We have but that was 4 years ago when we built the place.  I don't remember much of the results except that the three labs didn't agree on much of anything.  They were ag water testing labs, not testing for human consumption. We've been tempted to put our purified water in a test vial and send it to the company that does our drinking well water testing (mandated that we do it every quarter) BUT if they flub up and report our irrigation water test results, assuming it failed something, as our drinking water then we're put on a monthly test schedule for a year.   We're not super impressed with the organizational skills so we aren't likely to make it a routine thing.  If we do ever do it I'll show up out of company uniform, pay cash, and tell them it's my personal well at home.

Nice!  Did you roll your own charts?  It looks like amichart to me but I could be wrong.  How'd you go about getting liquid pressure?  The transducer we use on the VFD pump controllers is a f*cking expensive bugger at about $400 a pop.  For some darned reason we burned through a few in the early years and I really hated knowing we bought them like disposables.  I'd also like an inexpensive way of getting PSI readings on various lines electronically.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2017, 11:08:43 PM »
We have but that was 4 years ago when we built the place.  I don't remember much of the results except that the three labs didn't agree on much of anything.  They were ag water testing labs, not testing for human consumption. We've been tempted to put our purified water in a test vial and send it to the company that does our drinking well water testing (mandated that we do it every quarter) BUT if they flub up and report our irrigation water test results, assuming it failed something, as our drinking water then we're put on a monthly test schedule for a year.   We're not super impressed with the organizational skills so we aren't likely to make it a routine thing.  If we do ever do it I'll show up out of company uniform, pay cash, and tell them it's my personal well at home.

Gotcha, and totally understand not wanting to do something that may turn into a needless headache.  I've been looking for a rural property, so water quality and testing has been on my radar.  I fully plan to make offers on property continent on well water quality results.

Nice!  Did you roll your own charts?  It looks like amichart to me but I could be wrong.  How'd you go about getting liquid pressure?  The transducer we use on the VFD pump controllers is a f*cking expensive bugger at about $400 a pop.  For some darned reason we burned through a few in the early years and I really hated knowing we bought them like disposables.  I'd also like an inexpensive way of getting PSI readings on various lines electronically.

They are actually jQuery UI charts.  Works well, fairly easy to customize, and looks good.  

For pressure, I used these: [eBay link]  http://tinyurl.com/j3aq57h

Note, these come in various different pressure ranges.  For best accuracy, choose your upper bound as low as possible.

They are analog output, so I had to walk the signal through an ADC [MCP3008], but they work okay.  In my application, I should have used a 12 bit ADC.  I do question the sensors linearity.  Coincidentally, I'm working on a deadweight pressure tester right now, so perhaps I'll test these buggers against a known standard.  As with most things in measurement, it's probably of how much precision you want to pay for.  

The temperature sensors are DS18B20 units.  Highly recommended.  Couple bucks a pop, already calibrated, and SPI interface which lets any number of them talk to the Pi on a single pin.  Only external part required is a pull up resistor.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2017, 09:38:13 AM »
Nice!  Did you roll your own charts?  It looks like amichart to me but I could be wrong.  How'd you go about getting liquid pressure?  The transducer we use on the VFD pump controllers is a f*cking expensive bugger at about $400 a pop.  For some darned reason we burned through a few in the early years and I really hated knowing we bought them like disposables.  I'd also like an inexpensive way of getting PSI readings on various lines electronically.

I recommend http://www.pchart.net/features-charting if you ever need a charting app. Bog standard PHP library. I have working code examples if you ever want one.

http://climate.fwdportal.com/  - Live temp readings of my server room

GigaBuist

• friends
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2017, 10:12:26 PM »
Ozone generation:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QiEs5WhNso

Make sure closed captioning is on.  That's how I annotated it all.