Author Topic: felon got his gun rights back, saves officer!  (Read 1007 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
felon got his gun rights back, saves officer!
« on: January 31, 2017, 09:43:13 PM »
 :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: [ar15] [ar15] [ar15] [ar15] [ar15] [ar15] :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2017/01/25/hero-saved-arizona-trooper-felon-restored-gun-rights/
The man who shot and killed an assault suspect on a dark highway in Arizona, rescuing a state trooper, said on Wednesday that he doesn’t think of himself as a hero.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: felon got his gun rights back, saves officer!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 06:25:53 AM »
Oh man, you know libs don't know which way to turn on that one...

:rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 07:59:31 AM »
How does that work on a Federal basis?  Does just a local "vacation" (per the article) of a conviction count with the feds?

IIRC, the 4473 just asks if you have "ever" been convicted of a disqualifying crime.... I think.  I haven't seen a 4473 in a while.

???

Here in Colorado, a number of decades ago they passed a law such that criminal records could not be "expunged."

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 12:42:16 PM »
How does that work on a Federal basis?  Does just a local "vacation" (per the article) of a conviction count with the feds?

IIRC, the 4473 just asks if you have "ever" been convicted of a disqualifying crime.... I think.  I haven't seen a 4473 in a while.

???

Here in Colorado, a number of decades ago they passed a law such that criminal records could not be "expunged."

Usually, yes.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/4473-part-1-firearms-transaction-record-over-counter-atf-form-53009/download

Read the instructions for question 11.c and you'll see that people whose convictions have been expunged or whose civil rights have been restored should answer "No" to the question.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 03:47:24 PM »
OK, thanks. :)
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 11:14:09 PM »
It says he shot the bad guy with a gun he kept in his vehicle.  He is fortunate they are overlooking all that and helping him out.  

The article says the vacated the guilty judgement.  Does that make it like it never happened?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 11:21:51 PM »

The article says the vacated the guilty judgement.  Does that make it like it never happened?

I wondered about that, too. And, of course, the reporter probably isn't a lawyer, so what we read is "possibly" not entirely accurate. I got the impression that the felony charge was reduced to a misdemeanor after the fact, in order to allow the guy to retain (or regain) his RKBA. If that's correct, then essentially the felony never happened.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 08:51:33 PM »
It says he shot the bad guy with a gun he kept in his vehicle.  He is fortunate they are overlooking all that and helping him out.  

afaik, he had his rights restored, he is now legal to own guns.
AZ is constitutional carry, everyone has a gun in the car

Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 10:37:07 PM »
Restoration of firearm rights varies a bit from state to state.  In some states, it requires that the subject successfully complete the sentence.  The person then files a request with the convicting court to not just have the record sealed/expunged, but to have the conviction vacated (it does mean treating it as if it never happened).  In other places, after successfully completing the sentence, the person applies for sealing and expunging, then files a motion specifically requesting a restoration of firearm rights.  In either case, that information then has to be sent to the feds so that the background check for purchases wlll reflect this.

What is interesting is that in some places, like Ohio, not all felony convictions create a "disability" preventing ownership or possession of a firearm.  And, there are some misdemeanor offenses which do.  And a misdemeanor Domestic Violence conviction is still a 2A killer.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark