Author Topic: Don't do this!  (Read 2813 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Don't do this!
« on: January 31, 2017, 11:20:31 PM »
do not shoot at the fleeing cars tires unless you're freaking great and they kidnapped your favorite dog.
if you DO.... don't talk to the cops, talk to your lawyer first and ask is it leagal to do that.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/01/31/homeowner-charged-with-manslaughter-for-shooting-at-home-invasion-suspects.html
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Don't do this!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 11:44:38 PM »
We had one of those here a few years back. He turned down the plea and went on to have his day (several) in court.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2014/apr/11/gerlach-acquitted-in-shooting-death-of-fleeing/

bob

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 12:40:31 AM »
Not a gun, but Tampa had a man acquitted after chasing down a robber and running him over with a Ford Explorer.  Same thing, refused the plea, went to court, and the jury sided with him.

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/08/03/Hillsborough/_Excusable_homicide__.shtml

It's not a gamble I would recommend taking however.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 01:56:56 AM »
We had one of those here a few years back. He turned down the plea and went on to have his day (several) in court.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2014/apr/11/gerlach-acquitted-in-shooting-death-of-fleeing/

The 25-year-old’s family said they were disgusted with the way the media portrayed Kaluza-Graham, saying their relative was made into a “one-dimensional thief.

“He had hopes and dreams,” said Ann Kaluza (pictured, right). “He was made into a poster boy for the angst of the community, a sacrificial lamb. That’s not right.”

Okay, so he was a three-dimensional thief. Moral: Don't want to get shot? Don't steal *expletive deleted*it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 03:05:31 AM »
I guess they had to charge him, otherwise face the ire of a mindless mob of hand-wringers.

He should have said he was trying to ID the vehicle for the cops with half-inch holes in the rear.

Seriously, though, I witnessed a felonious flight once and didn't even think of drawing.

He shouldn't have done it, but I hope he gets a sensible jury.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 04:48:37 AM »
Shoulda said he shot them while they were trying to get in. You can take a bit to start leaving a blood trail, so would be hard to say otherwise.

Then again, bullet holes in car.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 06:06:42 AM »
Shoulda said he shot them while they were trying to get in. You can take a bit to start leaving a blood trail, so would be hard to say otherwise.

Then again, bullet holes in car.

This is a good way to catch a first degree murder charge
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 07:43:56 AM »
Well, what I did "draw" was a pen out of my pocket to write down the license number on my hand.

Cop laughed when he asked "Did you get the license plate number?" and I showed him the back of my hand.

It agreed with someone else's capture of the plate number.  I expected to be called in as a witness, but I never heard another thing about it.

Life in the big city.  Yay.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 07:58:09 AM »
Just a thought . . .

I wonder if charges would have been filed if he'd told the cops he saw them pointing what looked like a weapon at him from the car . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 09:18:34 AM »
Just a thought . . .

I wonder if charges would have been filed if he'd told the cops he saw them pointing what looked like a weapon at him from the car . . .

I *think* that is what got our guy acquitted. I was always a little skeptical of that story though, supposedly the guy was driving away in the shooters Suburban with tinted windows when he took the shot. It went through the rear window and headrest into the fleeing thief's head. Good sot or bad shot was a matter or perspective I guess. In the end he was acquitted, whether because of the "I thought he was pointing a gun at me" or I thought he was backing toward me" defense the jury believed him. It was also during a mini crime wave in town and it is entirely possible this was a message to the local ne'er-do-well population.

bob

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 09:25:55 AM »
exactly why you wait to speak to a competent lawyer and your friends on APS before talking to the popo
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 03:52:43 PM »
exactly why you wait to speak to a competent lawyer and your friends on APS before talking to the popo

The proper course of action is to ask "am I being detained?" and if pressed, let them know you are a flesh and blood individual and not the legal person they wish to question.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 04:02:59 PM »

The proper course of action is to ask "am I being detained?" and if pressed, let them know you are a flesh and blood individual and not the legal person they wish to question.

I plan on complaining about the fringe on the flag in the police department.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 05:16:41 PM »
I've got the equipment to dig a deep hole and a place to dig it.

S-S-S

=D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 05:55:45 PM »
I *think* that is what got our guy acquitted. I was always a little skeptical of that story though, supposedly the guy was driving away in the shooters Suburban with tinted windows when he took the shot. It went through the rear window and headrest into the fleeing thief's head. Good sot or bad shot was a matter or perspective I guess. In the end he was acquitted, whether because of the "I thought he was pointing a gun at me" or I thought he was backing toward me" defense the jury believed him. It was also during a mini crime wave in town and it is entirely possible this was a message to the local ne'er-do-well population.

It could well have been the latter. My immediate reaction was "jury nullification." Yeah, technically and legally it was a bad shoot, but people get tired of low-lifes stealing their stuff.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 07:46:39 PM »
yeah, there was a shooting in Reno/sparks, squatters were crapping all over this guys empty house and using it to sleep/prostitute/take drugs.
He walked in and shot them.
They put him on trial, but ( to my surprise ) the jury was all like ..... good job.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2017, 11:32:10 PM »
I don't know what the 2nd degree manslaughter charge is but it sounds like the local prosecutors aren't exactly trying to throw the book at this guy. 

In the one jury I sat on that involved a murder, there was at least one other guy I can safely say would probably hang the jury to avoid convicting a homeowner who shot a burglar.  And this was in the county court in downtown Houston.  For myself, my main issue would be to make sure the circumstances were actually what was reported, not some sort of odd murder or crazy homeowner shooting at a passing car.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 07:04:50 AM »
yeah, there was a shooting in Reno/sparks, squatters were crapping all over this guys empty house and using it to sleep/prostitute/take drugs.
He walked in and shot them.
They put him on trial, but ( to my surprise ) the jury was all like ..... good job.

Stories like this are how people end up looking shocked and stupid when the jury comes back guilty.

Dont bet your life on the oddball jury.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2017, 11:07:13 AM »
Stories like this are how people end up looking shocked and stupid when the jury comes back guilty.

You might be right for a few, but I think there are still enough misinformed people who think you can drag a body back into your home to keep a steady supply of stories.  

I think I would only risk a jury if the plea bargain was bad enough that it was worth it.  Losing my right to bear arms would not be good.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2017, 05:18:39 PM »

I'm reminded of the movie "The Devil's Advocate" and OJ's trial.  A big part of the movie was that the protagonist was very good at selecting juries.

If you have a good lawyer they should be able to get somebody on the jury who will, if nothing else, hang it for you shooting criminals who just attempted to enter your home.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2017, 05:25:27 PM »
I'm reminded of the movie "The Devil's Advocate" and OJ's trial.  A big part of the movie was that the protagonist was very good at selecting juries.

If you have a good lawyer they should be able to get somebody on the jury who will, if nothing else, hang it for you shooting criminals who just attempted to enter your home.

There is a reason that in high-value malpractice and other civil cases, both plaintiff and defense spend big bucks on jury consultants to help pick the jurors that will support your side.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2017, 12:08:54 AM »

It isn't science, and bad facts with you looking like a liar are dicey for any lawyer.

People forget that there are hot shot plea negotiators as well, and they do have customers for a reason.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2017, 04:25:30 PM »
Northern NV Juries are notorious for saying "eff the prosecution" when it comes to shooting miscreants, personally, I wouldn't risk it.
I had been in situations I could legally shoot and still avoided it.
ymmv

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2017, 01:46:52 PM »
Northern NV Juries are notorious for saying "eff the prosecution" when it comes to shooting miscreants, personally, I wouldn't risk it.
I had been in situations I could legally shoot and still avoided it.
ymmv

For the best, I think.  Sure, a hot-shot lawyer might be able to get you off with a not-guilty, but said hot-shot is going to be expensive, emphasis on expensive.  It also depends on you not shooting yourself in the foot at trial.

That's before I figure that it's best to not kill people on average, even criminals.

It isn't science, and bad facts with you looking like a liar are dicey for any lawyer.

People forget that there are hot shot plea negotiators as well, and they do have customers for a reason.

Indeed, a plea is generally cheap compared to a trial, and there are people out there who aren't going to be found innocent even with Cochran running their defense.