Author Topic: Best intro M1A  (Read 3858 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Best intro M1A
« on: February 06, 2017, 10:40:39 AM »
I don't know squat about the current market for M1A type rifles, and my contractor was asking for my opinion.

So, what seems to be the best intersection of price and quality these days if my contractor wanted to get himself one?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Best intro M1A
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 10:51:28 AM »
That is a question with a lot of variables, mainly what is he looking for in an M1A. I would go to the Springfield Armory website and look at the different models available and then look at Buds Guns and see what they are asking. If he is looking to buy used you can always take a peek @ M14forum.com . That is probably one of the better M14/M1A forums out there.

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 10:54:55 AM »
Cool, I'll let him know about the forum.

He was originally asking about an M1 Garand, but he doesn't reload, the ammunition is getting harder and harder to find in clips, and the quality of the ones I've seen the last couple of years (at a decent price) have been sketchy. The good ones have been priced at "weight in gold" and up.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 11:18:27 AM »
I know a lot of people hate on SA and say the M1A is not a "real" M14, but I've had my M1A Scout for going on 15 years and am pleased as punch. Never a problem. I shoot 95% surplus ammo.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 11:41:29 AM »
I know a lot of people hate on SA and say the M1A is not a "real" M14, but I've had my M1A Scout for going on 15 years and am pleased as punch. Never a problem. I shoot 95% surplus ammo.

Well, a "real" M-14 was select fire so an M1A is not a "real M-14."  A difference which, in this case, doesn't bother me at all; the full-auto function in the M-14 was not very successful and many soldiers could not use it effectively.  The army had the full auto function removed from many of these rifles.   The M1As available never had the the full auto function at all.  I like my M1A just fine in its "as manufactured" SEMI auto ONLY configuration.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 11:48:04 AM »
Well, a "real" M-14 was select fire so an M1A is not a "real M-14."  A difference which, in this case, doesn't bother me at all; the full-auto function in the M-14 was not very successful and many soldiers could not use it effectively.  The army had the full auto function removed from many of these rifles.   The M1As available never had the the full auto function at all.  I like my M1A just fine in its "as manufactured" SEMI auto ONLY configuration.

I was talking about the M14s produced by Fulton Armory, etc. Only SA makes M1As.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 11:55:20 AM »
I was talking about the M14s produced by Fulton Armory, etc. Only SA makes M1As.
:facepalm:  Oh.....
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

BobR

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 12:09:10 PM »
During my last tour on active duty (@ NAS North Island) I was on the NAS rifle and pistol team. They gave me a match 45 and a match M14 to play with. All of the parts for the happy switch was there except for the lever on the selector knob. At least it looked like it was all there, I never tried to turn the knob that was there, I was very content with semi-auto in the M14.

I kept both guns at home and when it came time to retire and I took the weapons back to the armory I was met with a "We didn't know you had these".  :facepalm:

bob

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 12:19:16 PM »
SA gets a bad rap sometimes but a lot them are out there with no problems and the company stands behind them. I have never had any issues with 2 different rifles. I sold the first one but still have a scout-length Bush Rifle that shoots better than anyone would expect.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 12:49:19 PM »
A friend of mine has had a SA M1A for going on 15 years and, as far as I know, he's still very happy with it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BobR

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2017, 01:09:28 PM »
I have the IDF sniper version of the M1A, probably one of the best decisions I have ever made when it comes to buying guns (other than the SVD Tiger). It is a joy to shoot, accurate and just looks nice. We have a smith here in town by the name of Al Ewing (getting up there now) who can do wonders with a M14 pattern rifle. He was also a pretty good shot with one back in the day. He has a few trophies from Camp Perry. I used to take the gun up to him and just sit around and chat while he did work on it. That made whatever he wanted to charge worth every penny. :)

I really want a Scout/SOCOM length version but just can't seem to be able to put away the money for one. :(

bob

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2017, 05:02:13 PM »
I keep thinking one of these days I'm gonna get an M14/M1A pattern rifle. We were still carrying M14s (and 1911s) on the boats I was on for security and defensive forces as late as 1992. I spent many a quality hour standing topside aft with an M14 slung over my shoulder while the sip was loading "special" weapons.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2017, 10:28:55 PM »
From what my Dad said, none of the M14's he ever fired had the select fire switch installed.  Those were all kept somewhere under wraps.  The only guy he ever met that used an M14 in full auto did not do well.  He said by the 3rd or 4th round, the rifle was pointed skyward and quickly moving to rearward and everyone behind the guy was bailing out to avoid being in the line of fire.  He trained with the M14 and was issued an M16 in Vietnam. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2017, 10:36:52 PM »
I have a Springfield M1A SOCOM.  If the guy just wants a rifle to carry around and doesn't plan on doing a lot of target shooting or long range, it is a great choice.  The shorter barrel puts the balance point further back and it handles very well.  The front sight is not a standard M14 sight so the precision is less than standard sights.  I think the Scout model has the standard sights so that might be the best shorter barreled version.

I also have an LRB Arms M14.  I sold my standard M1A and another rifle to get it.  It is a great rifle.  I probably haven't shot it enough to justify the purchase.  Wideners sold them last I looked.  You will spend a lot more to get it over the Springfield.  However, the Fulton Armory and higher option Springfield Armory models are all just as expensive.  They M1A seems to be the only one that gets under $2000. 

If you want the standard M14 style, I think I would look for a Springfield Armory M1A Loaded since it has a match barrel.  The standard barrel will still shoot well, but I don't think there is a lot of cost difference. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 06:24:31 AM »
Thanks for the info, everyone. I think I'm going to drag him to the local gun store that Mtnbkr and I go to, and maybe even one of the local shows.

I just don't have much interest in this class of firearm, so I don't know diddly/squat about them.

Hopefully now that we've got a *Republican* in the White House, and *Republicans* controlling both houses of Congress, things might start to ease a bit for the next few years.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 12:22:54 AM »
Got this E-mail from CMP today:

Item # 4C3006XAYR-192P - M2 Ball, .30-06, Norwegian AYR192RD Spam Can, 8RD Clips/Bandoliers   $105.00 per can

M2 Ball, .30-06, Norwegian Ammunition. AYR manufacture. Packaged in 8 rd. enbloc clips, 6 clips per bandoleer, 4 bandoleers per spam can. 192 rds in spam can. Boxer primed, this ammunition is corrosive. Headstamp varies. This ammo attracts a magnet. Weight is 15 lbs per can. Free Shipping to contiguous US. Please call for Alaska & Hawaii rates. Order your spam can Today!

Item # 4C3006X211-180P - M2 Ball, .30-06 Greek HXP .30 cal, Plastic Can, 180rds     
$135.00 per can

M2 Ball, .30-06, Greek Ammunition, HXP (Pyrkal)
manufacture. Packaged 20 rds per box, 9 boxes per .30 cal. Plano plastic ammo can. Total 180rds. Boxer primed, non-corrosive. Headstamp varies HXP62-HXP80. This ammo attracts a magnet. Free shipping to contiguous US. Please call for Alaska & Hawaii rates. Order your can today!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 01:55:22 AM »
Don't forget to give your rifle a girl's name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3MeA3oTSEE
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2017, 05:30:29 AM »
I don't know squat about the current market for M1A type rifles, and my contractor was asking for my opinion.

So, what seems to be the best intersection of price and quality these days if my contractor wanted to get himself one?

Deter him from buying one.  It's less cool and inferior on every measure other than Vietnam war movie looks in comparison to an AR platform of the same calibre.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2017, 06:23:19 AM »
I think he wants a .30 cal.

He wanted to get a Lee-Enfield (he's British, damned emmygrunts!) but .303 ammo is really hard to find right now.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2017, 06:30:53 AM »
I think he wants a .30 cal.

He wanted to get a Lee-Enfield (he's British, damned emmygrunts!) but .303 ammo is really hard to find right now.

Get him an AR10 clone and tell him the business end has the same size hole as a Lee Enfield
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2017, 09:12:13 AM »
I have to agree with DeSelby, AR-10 or FAL.

The bestest cheapest M1As were Norincos- swap in a few GI parts (bolt, oprod iirc) and you still had only about 1/3 as much money into than a Springfield.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2017, 09:27:43 AM »
Haters.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2017, 09:32:34 AM »
I get the impression that he's looking for something that actually looks like a rifle, with a wood stock and all...

Not a Star Wars blaster reject.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2017, 10:27:07 AM »
Got this E-mail from CMP today:

I saw that.  It got me thinking I need to pull out all my CMP rifles and clean and re-oil them.  I might shoot them also.  

I saw an add for new S&B 30.06 ammo from MidwayUSA with a comparable price, but it didn't come loaded in clips and bandoliers.  I have plenty of those already anyway.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2017, 11:19:41 AM »
I am currently without an M14 type rifle, but I used to have one.

I did just finish my first .308 AR build last summer, and De Selby is right, it's a better rifle in almost every measurable way, if one is looking to go DO stuff with it.

That said, an AR ain't an M1A and rifle purchases don't have to make sense.  I'll own another M1A to round out my .308 Battle Rifle collection (after I build an FAL).  They are a thing to themselves and they are a LOT like a classic muscle car.  Not a great car by actual driving standards, but if ou want one, and that style, not easily substituted either. 

If he wants a semi-auto .308 to go shoot, get an AR or FAL (Probably just stick with an AR for the optics solution).  If he wants an M14, the Springfield M1A Loaded MA9222(walnut stock) or MA9229 (OD Stock) are pretty nice and about $1400-ish