Author Topic: Looking for computer bits  (Read 514 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Looking for computer bits
« on: November 04, 2017, 02:41:23 PM »
Not data, as in bits and bytes -- "stuff."

A co-worker has bestowed on me three older desktop computers. Not sure of the age, but they all have OEM stickers indicating that they have (or originally had) Windows XP installed, so they're ... old. My goal is to fix them up and either adopt them out through the pastor at my church, or give them to the Salvation Army.

So far, I have one of them working and the operating system restored. One seems to be dead, and I haven't tried the third one yet. All I received is the actual computers -- no keyboards, no mouses, no monitors. I've put in a request with a friendly worker at the municipal transfer station to be on the lookout for a couple of working monitors. What I don't have and will certainly need is VGA cables and power cables. If anyone has an extra, unused VGA cable and/or power cable they'd be willing to pass along, I'd be more than happy to pay shipping.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Looking for computer bits
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 03:38:54 PM »
Standard 6" PC power cables?  Like these, right:

They accumulate at work.  I can get you a bunch.  

In fact, I could probably pick up a few from the floor at my feet.  (I'm making an effort to clean long accumulated crap right now.  I actually had 2 3 phone modems in the desk debris right next to me.  And I've got about a dozen hard drives to wipe.)

VGA cables?  Wait and see if whatever monitors you come up with don't already have them.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 06:06:56 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Looking for computer bits
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 07:53:16 PM »
Standard 6" PC power cables?  Like these, right:

Yes, those. I don't need "a bunch," but I do have three of these cast-off computers to work on. If I somehow succeed in getting all three working, I'll need three cords. All the guy gave me was three computer boxes -- no keyboards, no mice, no monitors, and not even the power cords. (Makes me wonder if he was doing me a favor, or if I somehow made an enemy and nobody bothered to tell me.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design