Author Topic: We Need MORE Ebenezer!!!!  (Read 1832 times)

Cosmoline

• friend
We Need MORE Ebenezer!!!!
« on: December 24, 2006, 01:26:44 PM »
I'm not sure if you're all aware of this, but Dicken's short story "A Christmas Carol" has had a great deal to do with the making of the modern incarnation of the Christmas holiday.  Prior to his story, and the Victorian embrace of certain Germanic Christmas traditions, Christmas was just one of many Christian holidays celebrated from Michaelmas to All Saint's Day.  It was BY NO MEANS the central Christian holiday of the year, as that honor rightfully belongs to the Easter holidays. 

But along comes Dickens, followed by Coke and Madison Avenue, and make the holiday a festering knot of guilt and consumerism.  We feel guilt if we don't buy buy buy.  If we don't get the presents to everyone no time, or fail to act like the dancing, singing Ebenezer of Christmas morning, we are deemed grave sinners doomed to walk the afterlife in chains of our own making.  But consider this.  One Scrooge yelling at the messenger boy to get him the BIGGEST TURKEY post haste and showering all relations with gifts is a wonderful character.  But 200 million of them, all doing it at once, is a NIGHTMARE of pushing and yelling.  We burden ourselves and each other with unreasonable expectations and impossible demands.  You can see it today at every shopping center and grocery store, and on every road. 

I rode my bike down through the new snow about ten blocks to the store to get some groceries, as I ususally do on Sundays.  The roads are generally quiet and people aren't in as big a hurry as they are during the week.  But today I was screamed at twice and nearly killed once by speeding drivers trying to find a shortcut.  Mind you, this is on poorly plowed side streets not on the main roads.  I though I was going to have to shoot it out with one fellow who was SO ENRAGED that I slowed him down to 10 mph for fifteen feet as I rode from a parking lot to an alley that he had to stop his car (wasn't he in a rush?) and call me a long string of names I can't repeat here.  I laughed at him and wished him a Merry Christmas, but his face was livid with red rage.  Where the devil does that come from?

I think we would all do well to stop buying the biggest turkey in the store and stop buying presents for all but the small children.  Take it back a few gears, and spread some of the attention around to more overlooked holidays and celebrations.

Marnoot

• friend
Re: We Need MORE Ebenezer!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 01:43:48 PM »
I would agree that Christmas is much too intense a holiday. Easter is my favorite religious holiday, and Thanksgiving my favorite secular holiday. I love Christmas Day itself, but dislike the Christmas season more and more each year. The season is a "nightmare of pushing and yelling." I avoid stores of all kinds like the plague during Christmas-time. Easter is comparatively low-key commercially, and is much more spiritually meaningful to me. I don't have a problem with some simple gift-exchanging during Christmas, but the quantity and importance society has thrust upon it aggravates me.

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 02:00:21 PM »
So much for Peace on Earth and Good Will towards men.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 02:02:47 PM »
So much for Peace on Earth and Good Will towards men.

BAH HUMBUG! 

grin
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2006, 09:04:17 PM »
Easter is my favorite religious holiday, and Thanksgiving my favorite secular holiday.
Why would you say that Thanksgiving is secular and Easter is religious?  It would seem they are equally religious in origin and equally secular in current practice. 

RE Christmas:
Are we wrongly blaming Christmas for human idiocy when we should be blaming the humans?  I don't think people are any better or worse on Christmas.  Sure, it's the same recycled music every year, but most people listen to even worse music every other time of the year.  Sure, those stupid inflatable Santas are - well, they're just stupid.  But the Halloween decorations are just as stupid and inflatable.  And the pink flamingos and little black lawn-jockeys are there year-round.  They're stupid, too. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2006, 09:09:03 PM »
How is Thanksgiving religious?  I thought it was a purely secular New England holiday to celebrate the pilgrims that was made national after the CW. 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2006, 09:29:23 PM »
Who is being thanked? 

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2006, 09:57:28 PM »
Quote from: fistful
Why would you say that Thanksgiving is secular and Easter is religious?
I wasn't speaking in absolutes, fistful. I wasn't equating Thanksgiving-secular with Secretary's Day-secular. I'm well aware of who the pilgrims were thanking, and who I thank on that particular holiday. However, in my minds' categories it's simply not a religious holiday. I do consider it a spiritual holiday, but to me there is a difference between religious and spiritual. While the two are certainly very closely related, I don't care to delve into the difference at the moment as I'm just too tired to care (why aren't I going to bed? darn internet and its many tubes).

If you like, I'll state it more accurately: Easter is my favorite religious holiday, Thanksgiving my favorite spiritual holiday, and Independence Day my favorite secular holiday. Holiday categories are a very subjective. For me Easter is both a religious and spiritual holiday, but for many it's nothing more than a secular spring/bunny-related holiday. For me Halloween is strictly a secular holiday, but for those of certain Pagan persuasions it's most definitely a religious holiday. I consider Independence Day a secular holiday, but I also attach spiritual meaning to it, but not religious. So on and so forth.

Edited to remove one of my own grammatical pet-peeves.

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2006, 01:22:18 AM »
Who is being thanked? 

The pilgrims. 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2006, 03:34:08 AM »
Who is being thanked? 

The pilgrims. 

Not in the least.  Thanksgiving observances have been held in America since the earliest days of white settlement, and some have claimed the first such was a Catholic mass held by Spanish settlers.  The purpose, whether in Plymouth, Virginia or the Spanish colonies, was to thank God for His provision.   And this was clearly what Lincoln had in mind in 1863 when he proclaimed it a national holiday.*  Today, it might have more to do with "celebrating the Pilgrims," or football, or family togetherness, or other secular purposes, but the original intent was very religious. 

Marnoot, I see your point. 

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving_%28United_States%29#Lincoln_and_the_Civil_War

Strings

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2006, 05:16:44 AM »
Well... I haven't been NEAR a mall during the silly season in over ten years. That last time, my then girlfriend and my dad pulled me out (one on either arm) before I snapped and started hurting anybody (I do NOT do obnoxious crowds well anymore)...

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2006, 06:12:37 AM »
How about if those who aren't actual, church-going, Bible-reading Christians just make their own holiday to muck up?  Let those of us who celebrate Jesus throughout the year have 25 Dec. to remember His birth, do some carolling and give some gifts, and the rest can go crazy with their Santa Day or Gift Day some other time.

I won't hold my breath. 

Strings

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2006, 06:30:37 AM »
Eleven Mike: I've got no problem with all of you Christians doing your Christmas thing, s'long's y'all leave me to my Yule thing... Wink

I've honestly gotten to the point where I don't hear "Christmas", I hear "Xmas". It's THAT devalued in our society...

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2006, 07:34:07 AM »
Ah, but the X is the Greek letter chi, which is an abbreviation for Christ.  I used to take offense at it, until I learned what it meant.   

What's your Yule like?  I'm not familiar with that holiday, though I know the term is usually used as a synonym for Christmas these days. 

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2006, 07:45:12 AM »
Quote from: fistful
Marnoot, I see your point.
And I yours. Spiritual vs. religious is a bit of a semantic debate I guess, but I do consider Thanksgiving more than just a purely secular holiday on further reflection than was present in my first post.

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2006, 11:27:48 AM »
Today, it might have more to do with "celebrating the Pilgrims," or football, or family togetherness, or other secular purposes, but the original intent was very religious. 

The original intent of having a feast of thanks was to thank Providence.  But the intent of the holiday is only indirectly related to thanking Providence.  It's really a new national myth pushed by the yanks after the Civil War to try to unify the nation.  It's more akin to the 4th of July than it is to any religious holiday. 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2006, 11:55:54 AM »
So, the original purpose of the feast is not the original purpose?  Only the alleged propaganda perpetrated by Lincoln counts as the original purpose?  I can't keep up. 

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2006, 11:56:49 AM »
How about if those who aren't actual, church-going, Bible-reading Christians just make their own holiday to muck up?
There is.  Its called Festivusgrin
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.