Author Topic: Bee Ranching  (Read 1126 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Bee Ranching
« on: February 22, 2017, 07:58:28 PM »
Went in to my one hive that made it through winter this afternoon.
Looking good, starting to build up strong and plenty of honey and pollen to feed the new spring crop of bees.

Top of hive

hive 1-2220641 by lmmiers, on Flickr

Frames of capped honey

honey frame2-2220632 by lmmiers, on Flickr

honey frame-2220625 by lmmiers, on Flickr

Capped and open brood

brrod frame-2220651 by lmmiers, on Flickr

First year was a steep learning curve. Hopefully I've learned from my mistakes.
I plan to manage this hive for honey and will be buying a few more to build up my apiary.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Blakenzy

• friend
Re: Bee Ranching
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 08:56:04 PM »
Nice  ;)
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 09:01:40 PM »
I'm going to start this spring hopefully.
There is a local bee club with a meeting this Friday night so I'm going to try and make it.
Where did you find the cheapest price on the wood wares?
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 10:19:37 PM »

Ohio Bee Box has probably the cheapest advertised prices but I haven't dealt with them
https://theohiobeeboxcompany.com/

I'm getting most of my stuff from Brushy Mountain. They have 2 levels of wooden ware. I bought some of both to compare and I'm perfectly happy with the commercial grade.
http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/

I use Tite bond III for glue when I assemble my boxes.

I highly recommend hooking up with a local group.
My experience from last year is that 2 hives is a minimum to start with. one is none, two is one.

Books, Beekeeping for Dummies and The Backyard Beekeeper are good starting places

Internet resources - http://www.beesource.com/forums/
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 10:04:22 AM »
So very jealous. I was considering adding bees to our backyard menagerie when we discovered that my wife is fairly allergic last year. (As in, the doctor said she might die next time she gets stung.)

So I decided I prefer not becoming a young widower to fresh honey.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 10:10:40 AM »
So very jealous. I was considering adding bees to our backyard menagerie when we discovered that my wife is fairly allergic last year. (As in, the doctor said she might die next time she gets stung.)

So I decided I prefer not becoming a young widower to fresh honey.

Forgot to up the insurance policy?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 10:26:31 AM »
Ohio Bee Box has probably the cheapest advertised prices but I haven't dealt with them
https://theohiobeeboxcompany.com/

I'm getting most of my stuff from Brushy Mountain. They have 2 levels of wooden ware. I bought some of both to compare and I'm perfectly happy with the commercial grade.
http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/

I use Tite bond III for glue when I assemble my boxes.

I highly recommend hooking up with a local group.
My experience from last year is that 2 hives is a minimum to start with. one is none, two is one.

Books, Beekeeping for Dummies and The Backyard Beekeeper are good starting places

Internet resources - http://www.beesource.com/forums/

I have and read the backyard beekeeper. Seems like 2 hives are recommended and I was going to do that. If they look different you can figure out something is going wrong.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 11:36:59 AM »
I miss my bees, maybe spring of 2018 I'll get back into it. I got tired of losing 90% my bees each year, even treating them.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 02:21:50 PM »
My brother has some, as does my daughter and son-in-law.  Brother's survived the winter, SIL's did not.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.