Author Topic: California bans students from state funded travel to "anti-LGBT" states.  (Read 974 times)

freakazoid

• friend
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: California bans students from state funded travel to "anti-LGBT" states.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 10:43:24 AM »
How long until California builds a wall?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 10:53:07 AM »
Maybe if we can get more states to become "anti-LGBT" (whatever that is), all the Californians will stay in California.

There's a sort of precedent. Back in the 1980s, California got in a snit about the national test for accrediting architects for licensure. California decided they were more special than the other 49 states, so they demanded that the national accrediting board recognize California's test as equivalent to the national test, or else California would thereafter refuse to register anyone who had taken the national test instead of the California test.

To its credit, the national board stood firm and said, "Fine. Just remember that people who took the California test won't be able to be registered anywhere else." And there things stood for a period a several years.

Architects' licenses are like doctors' licenses -- they aren't reciprocal, you have to get a license for each state you want to design a building in, regardless of where your office is located. And pretty soon a bunch of famous California architects started feeling the pinch, because they couldn't accept commissions for major projects because they couldn't get licensed in the other states. And, finally, California crawled back to the national board and basically said, "Okay, we were only kidding."

More institutions and organizations need to play hardball with California and their delusions of superiority. The architect thing was based on California's belief that their conditions are "unique" -- like nowhere else in the U.S. are there rain storms, wind, snow, or earthquakes. And yet any time I see a news article about a condominium complex tumbling down a hill in a mudslide, I don't even need to read the article to know that it happened in California. So much for the superiority of their design professionals.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 11:27:58 AM »
Californians don't want to come to Kansas?  Hmm... I think I'm okay with that.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 12:36:38 PM »
So is this mainly a college issue?  I was trying to figure out how often Cali grade school students are traveling out of state on the state's cost. 

UCLA’s football team is scheduled to play Memphis in September and Cal State Long Beach baseball will play North Carolina in March. After these visits, the universities will no longer be able to play games in these states.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2017/02/22/california-bans-students-from-traveling-to-anti-lgbt-states/#ixzz4Zig0E9UY

I wonder what Texas can do to get on that list.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 01:06:52 PM »
So is this mainly a college issue?  I was trying to figure out how often Cali grade school students are traveling out of state on the state's cost.  

I wonder what Texas can do to get on that list.

Did you mean Grad school? The story seems to imply colleges, however the text of the law states:

The travel prohibition applies to state agencies, departments, boards, authorities, and commissions, including an agency, department, board, authority, or commission of the University of California, the Board of Regents of the University of California, and the California State University. (Gov. Code, § 11139.8, subd. (b).)

I traveled out of state several times at the school's expense to present at conferences when I was in grad school as a graduate student researcher in the UC system. It's interesting that the story just says students and doesn't mention professors who, at least in the sciences, go to a lot of conferences. More so than students.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 01:15:49 PM »
How long until California the rest of the country builds a wall?

FIFY
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden