Author Topic: Trump's Congressional Address  (Read 6500 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Trump's Congressional Address
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2017, 02:21:03 PM »
Because you're evil?

Because you're a Democrat.

But I think that's just another way of saying the same thing.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2017, 02:40:36 PM »
Because you're a Democrat.

But I think that's just another way of saying the same thing.

That's a little too broad.  My wife is a Democrat; she caucused for Sanders, and voted for Trump.  She was pissed last night that the part of Trump's speech that she like the best ("I don't represent the world, I represent the American people", or something like that) is what the commentators were upset about the most.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2017, 03:10:48 PM »
That's a little too broad.  My wife is a Democrat; she caucused for Sanders, and voted for Trump.  She was pissed last night that the part of Trump's speech that she like the best ("I don't represent the world, I represent the American people", or something like that) is what the commentators were upset about the most.

That's more of the progressive contingent still playing to what is amounting to a small segment of their base and still not realizing they are alienating a good percentage of what should be their base. The simple fact that most of the union bosses are giving Trump at least some props should be a wake up call to dems. Not sure how I feel about union love for Trump, but the fact that he's getting it means he's saying something all those working class dems want to hear.

I'm still quite happy though, if the dem establishment continues to double down on pleasing the Hollywood bubble, Silicone Valley liberal billionaires, EBT card holders, and race baiters. I'm thinking I might like eight years of Trump.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2017, 03:17:02 PM »
BTW, the Democrats should welcome that VOICE thing; if illegal alien crime is not a real thing, VOICE will expose that -- they will only find a dozen or so isolated incidents and Trump will look foolish.  (I don't think that's likely to happen)

No...more likely it'll find hundreds of thousands of what the Dems will still call "isolated incidents."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2017, 03:25:01 PM »
That's more of the progressive contingent still playing to what is amounting to a small segment of their base and still not realizing they are alienating a good percentage of what should be their base. The simple fact that most of the union bosses are giving Trump at least some props should be a wake up call to dems. Not sure how I feel about union love for Trump, but the fact that he's getting it means he's saying doing something all those working class dems want to hear.

I'm still quite happy though, if the dem establishment continues to double down on pleasing the Hollywood bubble, Silicone Valley liberal billionaires, EBT card holders, and race baiters. I'm thinking I might like eight years of Trump.

There was signing ceremony a while back in which Trump signed the legislation rescinding Obama's anti-coal/anti CO2 regs.  McConnell, Paul, and Machin were there giving mini-speeches.  Along with a 10-12 coal miners (in there work uniforms and headgear), all happy and smiles.  When the miner and union rep got up to speak, he had nothing but glowing praise for Trump.   Giving people jobs and real hope for their future (not just platitudes) makes a YUGE difference and departure from previous administration.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2017, 04:26:59 PM »
You'd really think so by some of the reactions I've seen.

Did they at least light the House chamber by immolating gay Muslim immigrant women? Trump obviously did at least that, correct?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2017, 04:27:19 PM »
It was probably the best speech I've seen Trump give - which is admittedly not saying a lot.  Trump is an abysmal orator, especially when speaking off the cuff.  Turns out that with the right speechwriters and TOTUS helping out he does okay.

I agree with this 100%. I didn't watch it, but from all the clips I heard today it sounds like he managed to get his act together for a solid hour. It was refreshing to hear him speak without the petty insults, the whining, and the end of the world doom & gloom. Between referring to himself in third person and rarely finishing a sentence before veering off on a tangent I can't stand his normal, unscripted "speeches" but I would be very pleased to see him acting & speaking this way all the time.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2017, 04:40:25 PM »

Did they at least light the House chamber by immolating gay Muslim immigrant women? Trump obviously did at least that, correct?

Yes, of course.  It was magnificent; sorry you missed it.
"It's good, though..."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2017, 05:26:50 PM »
. . . You're not more dead if you're killed by Jose the border criminal than by Joe from Kansas.  Rape is not worse if it is committed by an illegal immigrant than by a guy whose family has lived here since the 1700s . . .
The mechanics of the criminal action itself aren't worse when committed by an illegal, but since there IS a mechanism in place to keep Jose the border criminal out of this country in the first place - if he weren't here, he couldn't commit the crime here - it's far more readily preventable in the first place. Joe from Kansas, (presumably) being a citizen, is harder to get rid of before he commits a crime.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2017, 05:36:39 PM »
I agree with this 100%. I didn't watch it, but from all the clips I heard today it sounds like he managed to get his act together for a solid hour. It was refreshing to hear him speak without the petty insults, the whining, and the end of the world doom & gloom. Between referring to himself in third person and rarely finishing a sentence before veering off on a tangent I can't stand his normal, unscripted "speeches" but I would be very pleased to see him acting & speaking this way all the time.

Trump appears to be pretty up on keeping track of current news and media. I'm hoping that he sees just how well received this address was and that he decides this might be a good direction in which to veer, staying away from the Twitter a bit more. Actually, the only tweet I saw on the news from him today was one that simply said "thank you". So maybe he's already seeing the benefit of thoughtful worlds.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2017, 07:33:10 PM »
That's more of the progressive contingent still playing to what is amounting to a small segment of their base and still not realizing they are alienating a good percentage of what should be their base. The simple fact that most of the union bosses are giving Trump at least some props should be a wake up call to dems. Not sure how I feel about union love for Trump, but the fact that he's getting it means he's saying something all those working class dems want to hear.

This is where Trump or an advisor is playing some clever politics. The Dem's have moved to the left. Trump has used the vacuum to claim the white working class and union voters who have traditionally voted Democrat. They have to oppose Trump on any immigration because they need to import more Democrats.

If Trump succeeds in just about any of his proposals, the Dem's will lose the working class and union voters. So they need to stop Trump, no matter how much doing so may harm the country. They will stonewall him on his proposal for child care, on his proposed agreement with Trudeau to help women start their own companies, on his proposals for rebuilding the inner cities, etc. The feminists and the race hustlers will double-cross their own people to help the Democrats stop Trump.

I really think that, if Trump proposed giving amnesty to illegals already here, the Dem's would oppose any of that legislation.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2017, 08:46:36 PM »

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2017, 10:49:02 PM »
The mechanics of the criminal action itself aren't worse when committed by an illegal, but since there IS a mechanism in place to keep Jose the border criminal out of this country in the first place - if he weren't here, he couldn't commit the crime here - it's far more readily preventable in the first place. Joe from Kansas, (presumably) being a citizen, is harder to get rid of before he commits a crime.
Absolutely. That might be an emotional argument in favor of improved border protection but it doesn't lead me to the conclusion that what we need is another government program to publicize illegal immigrant crimes.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2017, 06:47:15 AM »

Nope. They lit the House with the incandescent glow of Dem's rage.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2017, 08:53:01 AM »
"Seriously, it was like the lunch bell rang at Junior High."

Frankly all of the shenanigans taking place now by leftist elected/appointed officials reminds me of being in high school.  
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

grampster

• friend
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2017, 08:57:34 AM »
This is where Trump or an advisor is playing some clever politics. The Dem's have moved to the left. Trump has used the vacuum to claim the white working class and union voters who have traditionally voted Democrat. They have to oppose Trump on any immigration because they need to import more Democrats.

If Trump succeeds in just about any of his proposals, the Dem's will lose the working class and union voters. So they need to stop Trump, no matter how much doing so may harm the country. They will stonewall him on his proposal for child care, on his proposed agreement with Trudeau to help women start their own companies, on his proposals for rebuilding the inner cities, etc. The feminists and the race hustlers will double-cross their own people to help the Democrats stop Trump.

I really think that, if Trump proposed giving amnesty to illegals already here, the Dem's would oppose any of that legislation.

^^^^This.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2017, 10:36:29 AM »
Walked? Heck, it almost looked like they ran out of the chambers. I can't recall seeing a more blatant display of that kind of behavior for any other President. Seriously, it was like the lunch bell rang at Junior High.

My mental images on that involve lemmings following the first one off the cliff and sheep following the "Judas sheep" into the slaughterhouse.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2017, 11:58:15 AM »
Dem Rep from Missouri on record saying that using Beshear to rebut was a mistake.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/03/02/ex-gov-beshear-as-pick-for-dems-trump-response-was-mistake-house-dem-says.html

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2017, 12:06:45 PM »
Dem Rep from Missouri on record saying that using Beshear to rebut was a mistake.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/03/02/ex-gov-beshear-as-pick-for-dems-trump-response-was-mistake-house-dem-says.html

Has it been confirmed that the "rebuttal" was, in fact, taped before Trump's address? If so, THAT would be the biggest mistake. That's like that heavyweight boxer who dislocated his shoulder in a championship fight throwing punches that missed. (Sonny Liston, maybe? Don't remember -- I'm not a boxing fan.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2017, 12:14:03 PM »
Has it been confirmed that the "rebuttal" was, in fact, taped before Trump's address? If so, THAT would be the biggest mistake. That's like that heavyweight boxer who dislocated his shoulder in a championship fight throwing punches that missed. (Sonny Liston, maybe? Don't remember -- I'm not a boxing fan.)

Couldn't we see daylight outside the diner thru the windows?  If so, it could not have been live.  (although if it was prerecorded they should have fixed that "Republican" gaff at the beginning.)
"It's good, though..."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2017, 01:14:42 PM »
Couldn't we see daylight outside the diner thru the windows?  If so, it could not have been live.  (although if it was prerecorded they should have fixed that "Republican" gaff at the beginning.)

No, you couldn't see windows. It was artificial lighting.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2017, 01:19:58 PM »

I was wondering why they used the guy from Heaven's Gate cult to do their rebuttal...

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.