Author Topic: Trump accuses Obama of tapping Trump Tower phones  (Read 19971 times)

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
Re: Trump accuses Obama of tapping Trump Tower phones
« Reply #125 on: April 05, 2017, 03:12:49 PM »
The claims of the spreadsheet and unmasking were not made by Mr. Nunes, therefore, I'm not very surprised to find that his data do not include that information.
When you say "that information" do you mean something showing Rice unmasked Flynn, and has anyone said that evidence does exist? The stuff from diGenova and the spreadsheet doesn't say anything about Flynn specifically, and all of the other speculation about Rice being the one to unmask Flynn seems to be based off Nunes documents. So what else is there?

counter leaks have begun in response to the clearly political leaks
While leaks in the name of justice are clearly different than leaks for political use, I don't think having warring factions of leakers within the intelligence community is going to end well for anyone.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #126 on: April 05, 2017, 03:29:52 PM »
When you say "that information" do you mean something showing Rice unmasked Flynn, and has anyone said that evidence does exist? The stuff from diGenova and the spreadsheet doesn't say anything about Flynn specifically, and all of the other speculation about Rice being the one to unmask Flynn seems to be based off Nunes documents. So what else is there?
From what I have heard, all the "unmask" requests were either in writing or recorded so someone has all the records and it will come out eventually.  Chasing the tail specifically on Flynn seems pointless. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #127 on: April 05, 2017, 03:33:15 PM »

While leaks in the name of justice are clearly different than leaks for political use, I don't think having warring factions of leakers within the intelligence community is going to end well for anyone.
I would say that leaks to Congressional intelligence committee members are not leaks.  They are just informing their bosses in Congress as opposed to former bosses who used to be in the White House.

And I think I agree with mak's comment.  There are a lot of people in the know in those agencies and I am sure many of them don't like the idea of their efforts being used against political opponents. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #128 on: April 05, 2017, 04:02:02 PM »
Chasing the tail specifically on Flynn seems pointless. 
With Flynn there is a clear cut case of a felony that everyone agrees happened - the leak.
The unmasking is much more of a grey area and while it can be abused that seems a lot harder to prove & prosecute.
Sometimes it's OK to unmask and sometimes it isn't - has anyone been prosecuted for unmasking before?
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #129 on: April 06, 2017, 10:05:18 AM »
Devin Nunes is now the "embattled" House Intelligence Committee Chairman after Schiff and Pelosi called for him to step down but I doubt he's going anywhere.
Well I was wrong. Nunes is stepping aside from the Russia investigation:
http://www.redstate.com/jaycaruso/2017/04/06/breaking-devin-nunes-stepping-aside-house-intel-russia-investigation/

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #130 on: April 06, 2017, 02:39:25 PM »
Oh, for crying out loud. Why did he have to step aside?

Republicans have no spines. This move taints the Rice investigation.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #131 on: April 06, 2017, 04:53:22 PM »
Oh, for crying out loud. Why did he have to step aside?

Republicans have no spines. This move taints the Rice investigation.
He is only stepping aside from the one investigation.  Probably to start checking out the unmasking business and surveillance of Presidential Candidates. 

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #132 on: April 06, 2017, 05:24:17 PM »
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 01:15:28 AM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #133 on: April 12, 2017, 09:41:36 AM »
Looks like the Trump associate FISA warrant leaked now, it was targeting Carter Page
He doesn’t strike one as the sharpest knife in the drawer. If a man could be convicted based on his observed behavior, Page would be in Leavenworth.
He is supposedly the only one (although that wording certainly leaves some wiggle room)
Page is the only American to have had his communications directly targeted with a FISA warrant in 2016 as part of the Russia probe, officials said.

And CNN is throwing some cold water on the Nunes unmasking documents
both Republican and Democratic lawmakers and aides have so far found no evidence that Obama administration officials did anything unusual or illegal, multiple sources in both parties tell CNN.

One congressional intelligence source described the requests made by Rice as "normal and appropriate" for officials who serve in that role to the president.

And another source said there's "absolutely" no smoking gun in the reports, urging the White House to declassify them to make clear there was nothing alarming in the documents.

I would love for the White House to declassify this stuff but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #134 on: April 12, 2017, 10:19:36 AM »
Looks like the Trump associate FISA warrant leaked now, it was targeting Carter PageHe is supposedly the only one (although that wording certainly leaves some wiggle room)
And CNN is throwing some cold water on the Nunes unmasking documents
I would love for the White House to declassify this stuff but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

LOLOLOL. This is hilarious. Trump is using the Democrats tactics right back at them.

Drip, drip, drip says the media. Look at all the collusion that MUST have happened between Trump and RUSSIA! Drip, drip, drip... No, there's no PROOF, but where there's smoke, there's fire!

Drip, drip, drip, says Trump. Look at Obama spying on an opposing presidential candidate! Drip drip drip... screams the media, BUT THERE'S NO PROOF! You're just creating smoke where there isn't any fire and our Boyfriend Obama is as pure as the wind-driven snow!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #135 on: April 12, 2017, 10:22:03 AM »
I think it's interesting that Rice went from "I know nothing" to saying there was no political purpose behind her unmasking.

As has been pointed out many times, the White House is not an investigatory agency. What other reason could there be for what she did? Does she think she's a better investigator than the FBI or CIA?

As for Carter Page, he was investigated last September, as he had been in contact with the dreaded Russian ambassador, who seems to talk to everyone in DC all the time. And he worked in the Moscow office of Merril Lynch a decade ago.

Funny that the media that's ignored the Rice story is all over Page.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #136 on: April 12, 2017, 10:32:14 AM »
As for Carter Page, he was investigated last September, as he had been in contact with the dreaded Russian ambassador, who seems to talk to everyone in DC all the time. And he worked in the Moscow office of Merril Lynch a decade ago.

On the ambassador issue, of course he talked to everyone in DC.

Russia is a major international player and any single Representative or Senator can get a burr under his saddle and cause issues for his country. (More powerful Senators/Representatives of course can cause greater problems.)

A shrewd statesman would much prefer the first meeting to occur before said Senator or Representative has a reason to contact the Ambassador. So, I'm not the least bit surprised he tries to see as many as possible to make sure their only interactions are not when said Senator or Representative has a problem.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought