Author Topic: Daylight Savings Time  (Read 5112 times)

Neemi

• friend
Re:
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2017, 10:57:18 AM »
I hate daylight savings. Three cranky children for a week isn't worth it. And trying to explain it to a kindergartener? He thinks it's just as dumb an idea as I do. Let's pick one time, stay there, and stop the time-hopping madness that makes children everywhere cranky.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Daylight Savings Time
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2017, 11:05:14 AM »
All you whiners out there could just move to Arizona.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re:
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2017, 11:35:08 AM »
I hate daylight savings. Three cranky children for a week isn't worth it. And trying to explain it to a kindergartener? He thinks it's just as dumb an idea as I do. Let's pick one time, stay there, and stop the time-hopping madness that makes children everywhere cranky.

This is one reason I really hate this end of it, especially since it starts like three weeks earlier than it used to. I'm a morning person, but also somewhat sun synchronous, so while I usually like getting up at 0500-0600, for about the next month, not so much, and sleeping in till 7am always makes me feel like I've blown part of my day. I'm also an "early to bed" guy, usually in the sack by 2200, so for most of July, that's also a little weird for me because it's only been dark for 1-1.5 hours or so at my latitude before I go to bed.

Then I came to my current company, and more and more I've been able to set my own hours over the years.

Currently I'm generally working 5:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

All my jobs have been "start early" jobs. Early on because they were blue collar and I had no choice. Later on I was also able to set my own schedule and was pretty close to yours Mike, as ideal for me. If I got in the office at 0600, it meant I had a couple of hours of peace to get most of my work for the day done, then around 0800 or so, when all the nitwits started coming into the office, I would be doing my stuff with DC, so had another couple of hours of not being bothered. :)

I have always been way less productive after lunch, so it was also nice to go home in the mid-afternoon and go for a run or whatever to re-energize. Sometimes I'd give myself enough of a boost to work from home for a couple of hours in the evening, which was basically free labor for fed.gov, so the boss never minded my schedule. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zahc

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2017, 12:46:09 PM »
I know a guy with an autistic son, and for him, it's more like a month of hell. I wonder if we could use the ADA to kill DST.

Maybe Trump will kill DST. It would be a great legacy checkmark for future elementary school textbooks.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2017, 12:54:02 PM »
I know a guy with an autistic son, and for him, it's more like a month of hell. I wonder if we could use the ADA to kill DST.

Maybe Trump will kill DST. It would be a great legacy checkmark for future elementary school textbooks.

That, and build a wall to keep out those bums from that other time zone.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Neemi

• friend
Re:
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2017, 01:37:05 PM »
My friend says the only way to repeal DST is to make the lawmakers teach preschool for a week after the time change. Then it'd die quickly.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2017, 01:45:19 PM »
You folks want to see a hodge podge of times and dates, take a look at the International Date Line:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:International_Date_Line.png

And you can't blame the railroads for that. :D

Hawaii is another State which doesn't have DST.  I presume, without actually knowing, this is because they're only +20° off the equator and hey, watsa diff, brah?

I don't remember the exact numbers that used to be provided by the Division of Wildlife for Colorado, but they had a calculation in their hunting brochures for figuring 1/2 hour before sunrise and after sunset for legal hunting hours.  It was based on number of miles east or west of Denver.

Why, you could hear gunshots marching across the State from east to west every opening morning. <joke, not really, but almost.

Archery season, not so much.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 01:59:31 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2017, 02:11:47 PM »
Hawaii is another State which doesn't have DST.  I presume, without actually knowing, this is because they're only +20° off the equator and hey, watsa diff, brah?

Yup. I've been there for extended periods throughout the year. I think the whole state is full of morning people, and during the Summer, you kinda want the damn sun to go down so you can have a pleasant and (slightly) cooler evening grilling linguica on the lanai. :)

But yeah, little change one way or the other.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2017, 02:24:20 PM »
You folks want to see a hodge podge of times and dates, take a look at the International Date Line:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:International_Date_Line.png

And you can't blame the railroads for that. :D

I don't remember the exact numbers that used to be provided by the Division of Wildlife for Colorado, but they had a calculation in their hunting brochures for figuring 1/2 hour before sunrise and after sunset for legal hunting hours.  It was based on number of miles east or west of Denver.

Why, you could hear gunshots marching across the State from east to west every opening morning. <joke, not really, but almost.

Archery season, not so much.

Terry, 230RN

Illinois still does that, with the state divided into 3 E-W zones with each zone having it's own sunrise and sunset times. 

Page 44 if you are interested.  (They used to divide into 6 zones N-S and E-W).
https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/Documents/HuntTrapDigest.pdf

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2017, 02:41:28 PM »
Illinois still does that, with the state divided into 3 E-W zones with each zone having it's own sunrise and sunset times.  

Page 44 if you are interested.  (They used to divide into 6 zones N-S and E-W).
https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/Documents/HuntTrapDigest.pdf

Wow, corrections for latitude as well as longitude.  I guess they're a bunch of tight-asses in IL.

Didn't do any calculations, Colorado being 387 miles wide, and at more or less +40° latitude, but I'm fairly sure the deer don't care much about the concept of "fair pursuit" versus the exact amount of daylight involved.

Sheesh!

And that "1/2 hour" is kind of arbitrary in the first place.  Why not 26 minutes and 37 seconds before and after sunrise and sunset?

Kinda makes me wonder how they would figure hunting hours above the Arctic Circle, eh?

Or if there were any deer at the North Pole.  >:D

Terry, 230RN

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2017, 02:47:10 PM »
I wish we would just go to daylight savings and STAY there. Instead of flipping back and forth. There is no reason we can't stay at UTC -5 (in south carolina) and most people would appreciate the extra sunlight in the evening during the winter.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2017, 04:34:03 PM »
I recently made a spreadsheet to calculate my timecard for crossing the date line. 14 time zones added plus 24 hours subtracted because of the date line; opposite coming back. Gov. regs state timecard must be kept for each day, even though one day vanished. I had one day well over 30 hours. Took me a while.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2017, 04:52:57 PM »
I recently made a spreadsheet to calculate my timecard for crossing the date line. 14 time zones added plus 24 hours subtracted because of the date line; opposite coming back. Gov. regs state timecard must be kept for each day, even though one day vanished. I had one day well over 30 hours. Took me a while.
:rofl:

That's a good one. Unintended consequences, eh?

I can envision the same kind of situation with respect to Arizona, if someone's work required traveling back and forth across the border to neighboring states.  But that would only involve hours, not days.  Also, come to think of it, if one worked across any U.S. time zone borders, daylight savings time or no daylight savings time.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2017, 06:10:02 PM »

Or if there were any deer at the North Pole.  >:D

Don't even THINK about shooting Rudolph!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2017, 06:12:11 PM »
I wish we would just go to daylight savings and STAY there. Instead of flipping back and forth. There is no reason we can't stay at UTC -5 (in south carolina) and most people would appreciate the extra sunlight in the evening during the winter.

Ummm ...

South Carolina, last I knew, was in the eastern time zone. That's UTC -5 during standard time. During DST it's UTC -4.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2017, 07:43:30 PM »
NC is UTC-5 normally/in winter.
--Tallpine

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2017, 08:17:27 PM »
 Also, come to think of it, if one worked across any U.S. time zone borders, daylight savings time or no daylight savings time.

Crossing multiple time zones for work?  That seems..... normal.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2017, 10:43:35 PM »
We generally have to work our start times around daylight, what with us being a greenhouse and all.  We have lights but try not to use them.  The DST change is big enough that we either have to move start time to 9AM or just turn on the lights.  We turned on the lights.

So there's 75,000 watts of sodium lamps that went on today in the name of conserving energy.

Most of my disdain for DST actually comes from my programming background. Timezones are bad enough but when you throw in rules for DST that vary by country and by year... I hate it so much.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2017, 11:31:42 PM »
In 1985 I got to fly from Manila to Honolulu on the Navy's dime. Ship's Yeoman set me up good and booked me Pan Am Clipper Class. Almost 1st class but not quite. Only big downside was the 8 hour layover at Narita. Left Manila way early on a Sunday morning and checked in at Pearl Harbor around 1800, same date. Had to raise holy hell to get my day or per diem because the cute little E3 clerk racking up "sea time" by being stationed at Pearl could not grasp the concept of the IDL. Took a crusty old Chief to straighten her out.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2017, 01:04:12 AM »
Crossing multiple time zones for work?  That seems..... normal.

So there's 75,000 watts of sodium lamps that went on today in the name of conserving energy.

Had to raise holy hell to get my day or per diem because the cute little E3 clerk racking up "sea time" by being stationed at Pearl could not grasp the concept of the IDL. Took a crusty old Chief to straighten her out.

That is all.  TNX fer the grins.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2017, 08:54:29 AM »
Ummm ...

South Carolina, last I knew, was in the eastern time zone. That's UTC -5 during standard time. During DST it's UTC -4.

4 then. You know what I mean. Is there a reason we can't just stay there??
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2017, 11:24:52 AM »
Of course not!   He makes it easier to see the other deer. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2017, 11:28:18 AM »
4 then. You know what I mean. Is there a reason we can't just stay there??

"Because we're from the gubmint, and we say so!"

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2017, 11:55:56 AM »

Quote from: Hawkmoon on March 13, 2017, 03:10:02 PM

Of course not!   He makes it easier to see the other deer. 

I was trying like hell to make a joke about red dot sights for that one.

Couldn't come up with one.

Fail.

Terry