Author Topic: Think This Was a Suicide?  (Read 3545 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Think This Was a Suicide?
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2017, 12:16:51 PM »
Does a 172 even have an autopilot?  Especially since this was a rental. I could see how otherwise once it was properly trimmed, it could just keep puttering along in still air.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2017, 12:45:27 PM »
I guess in the end, that comes down to how much of an autopilot it had; if it was just a wing leveler, and had to deal with a sudden loss of ~200lbs at stall speed and <50ft AGL, would it damp the oscillation quickly enough?
Does a 172 even have an autopilot?  Especially since this was a rental. I could see how otherwise once it was properly trimmed, it could just keep puttering along in still air.

This plane had an autopilot, but they are aren't standard equipment.  It was probably just a wing leveler as those are more common, but it could have had altitude hold.

I bet the plane would stay stable if the sole occupant jumped out.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2017, 01:27:45 PM »
This plane had an autopilot, but they are aren't standard equipment.  It was probably just a wing leveler as those are more common, but it could have had altitude hold.

I bet the plane would stay stable if the sole occupant jumped out.

2400lb plane losing 5-8% of weight that was off center?  I'd expect both a sudden climb and likely some roll before it accounted for the change in CG.  Just not sure how quickly the wing leveler would react to that.  (i.e. quickly enough to avoid second and subsequent oscillations, and/or quickly enough to avoid further altitude loss from the roll)  If he was already at the edge of a stall and low enough to feel like he could survive a jump, that doesn't leave much margin.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2017, 02:32:31 PM »
Off center?  Yeah, by the width of a seat cushion.  The AP could handle that drastic change.

Yes, less weight could induce a climb if the AP was only single-axis.  Or a stall from the sudden pitch up.  Or the pilot could have planned for that so the plane crashed far away.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2017, 02:43:24 PM »
If the plane somehow got to a "still flying and controllable, but not for much longer" state and there was nowhere to land, I could see the attraction of turning into the wind, flaps full, and jumping out as low and slow as possible, aiming for what appears to be the deepest snowbank around.  Not sure how long a 172 could continue on once the pilot left, though.

Or you know you would just put it down in the best area you could find and use the structure of the aircraft to absorb the energy of the crash
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2017, 04:16:39 PM »
Or you know you would just put it down in the best area you could find and use the structure of the aircraft to absorb the energy of the crash

That is so boring.  And safe.  Who wants that?

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2017, 05:18:12 PM »

Inexperienced pilot, not much practice picking emergency landing spots, but several touch-and-go and or not-quite touch landings would likely give him some confidence in skimming along under 10-20' AGL at stall speed.  Given a choice between a 15' fall at 50mph and being inside 2500 pounds of 1955-design (Crumple zones? Airbags? Maybe we'll invent those in a few more decades.) cheap airplane hitting an immovable object at the same speed, it's far from unthinkable that he'd choose the former.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2017, 07:24:23 PM »
Inexperienced pilot, not much practice picking emergency landing spots, but several touch-and-go and or not-quite touch landings would likely give him some confidence in skimming along under 10-20' AGL at stall speed.  Given a choice between a 15' fall at 50mph and being inside 2500 pounds of 1955-design (Crumple zones? Airbags? Maybe we'll invent those in a few more decades.) cheap airplane hitting an immovable object at the same speed, it's far from unthinkable that he'd choose the former.

Your logic is infallible.   There is no reason for us experienced pilots to atrempt to refute your theories.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2017, 08:43:53 PM »
Out-of-the-blue thought - maybe a dumba** attempting an "ultimate selfie"? Sets the autopilot, leans out the door onto the strut step for said selfie, and achieves Epic Life Fail.

Brad

Not a bad hypothesis, actually.  Lots of dumbasses taking fatal selfies these days.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.