Author Topic: Double standards within double standards.  (Read 3748 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Double standards within double standards.
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2017, 01:57:23 PM »
With the Left, they have no standards for themselves.   They live in the world of situational ethics, moral equivalence and cultural relativism.  It's hard for them to cope with folks who not only have high standards but have standards of any kind.

It sure looks that way nowadays, so "Amen."
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2017, 02:07:03 PM »
That is not what he's doing, or supposedly doing according to this one line in an article. "he won’t attend events featuring alcohol without her by his side". That's different than going and not drinking.
Assuming that's an accurate representation of his policy, is there anything at all wrong with it?

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2017, 02:11:11 PM »
Assuming that's an accurate representation of his policy, is there anything at all wrong with it?

I wouldn't say so. Being a little weird is OK.

That's a little weird to me, but to each their own. More beer for the rest of us  =)
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2017, 02:23:21 PM »
A simple guy's night out, going to a baseball game, a brewery tour, 9 holes of golf after work, weddings, camping, heck even Friday night fish fry and high school graduation parties - at least in my neck of the woods these all feature alcohol in varying amounts. Many people do them without drinking and that's fine (not even weird), but again that's different than avoiding them entirely unless the buddy system is in place.

Even at those, if someone around me is drinking good scotch, or maybe a rich porter, I'm going to want one or two.  If it's a long evening of such, and the host keeps offering, that can go beyond one or two pretty easily.  A handler I trust and respect can put the brakes on that just as easily.

For that matter, do we know he's not a recovering alcoholic?  His bio says he became an evangelical Christian while in college, and that sometimes results from the sort of significant life events that alcoholism is very good at causing.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2017, 02:24:04 PM »
"excuse me young feller, are you lonely"?

I'm an alcoholic, I do not avoid or seek out activities that include alcohol.
its not on my radar, generally bars are very boring to me now but if a band I like is playing I will go.
my main problem is finding a healthy drink, usually bars only have soda ( pop ) - yuck- to many carbs.

my Church encourages the same thing as what Pence is doing though, for instance single people will double date
I was told that it minimizes temptation but I also know that it says in Scripture that God doesn't temp us just our own
unholy desires in our own minds ( paraphrasing, and I'm not sure where I read it, maybe James or Corinthians )

the liberals I know hate Pence a lot more than they hate Trump.
any feces they can fling they will in the hope that it sticks.

IMO Pence would be a wonderful president  

"its good to have standards, that's why I always double mine" chris , 2017.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2017, 03:14:00 PM »
That may be true, I can only speak for what I find weird so I could be the odd one. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the phrase "featuring alcohol" but I'm assuming we're not just talking about bachelor's parties and stuff where things often get out of control.

A simple guy's night out, going to a baseball game, a brewery tour, 9 holes of golf after work, weddings, camping, heck even Friday night fish fry and high school graduation parties - at least in my neck of the woods these all feature alcohol in varying amounts. Many people do them without drinking and that's fine (not even weird), but again that's different than avoiding them entirely unless the buddy system is in place. 

I was picturing all the meet and greet political events full of lobbyists and such.  I can see finding a good set of personal rules to go by for those things.  There are always going to be people at those events looking for gossip to pass on. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2017, 04:27:12 PM »
just to be clear, please invite me to the party!
it doesn't matter to me at all if there is booze there.
it really doesn't bother me at all if there are attractive single women enjoying a beer, i will dutifully attend any such party.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2017, 06:46:37 PM »
just to be clear, please invite me to the party!
it doesn't matter to me at all if there is booze there.
it really doesn't bother me at all if there are attractive single women enjoying a beer, i will dutifully attend any such party.

Good. Then, if Fistful can't be there, we have someone else to pin the blame on.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2017, 03:43:32 AM »
"excuse me young feller, are you lonely"?

[HILARIOUS --230RN]

I'm an alcoholic, I do not avoid or seek out activities that include alcohol.
its not on my radar, generally bars are very boring to me now but if a band I like is playing I will go.
my main problem is finding a healthy drink, usually bars only have soda ( pop ) - yuck- to many carbs.

I quit in about '93.  Saw what it was doing to some of my friends.  I figure for some it's a sin, but not necessarily for others.  I too neither avoided nor sought out drinking venues (I was mobile then).  I usually ordered either club soda with a twist of lemon or a Virgin Mary.

Funny, because once after I had gulped down a couple or three of those, it was reported to me that someone said, "Boy, that Terry can sure drink a lot."

Terry

CypherNinja

• friend
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 05:30:28 AM by CypherNinja »
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2017, 11:40:08 PM »
You know what Biden is saying to Hillary in that pic ??

"How about just the tip..."
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2017, 02:29:22 PM »
And I'll pull it right out.

On that one with Biden and the cop, I really hadda laugh when I saw the expression on the guy at the extreme right of the pic.  I wish they'd got his whole face in that one.