Author Topic: Just ... WHY?  (Read 7359 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Just ... WHY?
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2017, 11:45:10 AM »
I am saying that what you seem to think is some new thing is actually centuries old. And it hasn't been the ruin of all everything that you are making it out to be.

You remember how you brought up that 14th-century literature that talked about fornication being "run of the mill"? And didn't I respond with an example of a much older, and more influential book that said the same thing? (Ya know, the book of Genesis, where people get so randy and violent that God drowns the whole world, and starts over, and then firebombs that city with all the gay bars?)

I brought that up as a way of saying that I don't think it's a new thing. Cultures change over time, sometimes improving in some aspects, sometimes devolving in others. While I don't think the so-called sexual revolution is the end of everything (like it was for Sodom), we're clearly suffering some severe consequences.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2017, 12:24:09 PM »
While I don't think the so-called sexual revolution is the end of everything (like it was for Sodom), we're clearly suffering some severe consequences.
Well, you are suffering. Other people are enjoying them.

=D
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2017, 01:48:51 PM »
Oh, I'm doing alright. My wife and I both come from intact families, and we haven't participated in the "revolution," so we've been spared. My wife gets the victims in her Sunday school class every Sunday morning. Poor kids.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2017, 02:27:05 AM »
[wipes condescension off of the monitor]

I know plenty of fornicators that are doing just fine, have intact families, and well adjusted, bright children.

Not sure why your Sunday School is attracting so many victims, but I suspect you'd find the root cause to be habits other than just sexual activity outside wedlock.  There is ample evidence that one can engage in sex outside the bounds of a church sanctioned marriage not be harmed, damaged, or otherwise victimized.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2017, 03:07:06 AM »
Yeah, people recover from all sorts of mistakes. I don't recall anyone saying that doing one wrong thing automatically wrecks your whole earthly existence. I don't think anyone said that all misfortune is traceable to just one behavior. Or if they did, it wasn't me.

That doesn't mean we should ignore the obvious problems to which those behaviors contribute.  

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2017, 03:31:54 AM »
Perhaps I was too oblique.

Pre-marital sex isn't a mistake. It is, often, a useful tool in building a long term relationship, it can go a long way in teaching people to be emotionally involved with others in a healthy way, and is often very useful in learning to deal with the flood of hormones and emotions that late teen/early 20's years bring to humans.

Like many other useful, healthy behaviors, there are risks, and can be consequences that should be fully understood, and considered before engaging in that activity.  The fact that negative outcomes can exist doesn't mean that the positive effects aren't there, or shouldn't be pursued.

You are wrong on this subject, and too poorly educated on it to realize it. Which is kinda sad.

Speaking solely for myself, I had sex with a number of young ladies before marriage, don't regret any of the relationships, and am still friends with a couple of them.  That behavior takes nothing away from the intimacy and love of my marriage.  The very idea of treating relationships I had with young women while we were both still growing up and finding out who we wanted to be as mistakes is insulting.  Both to me, and to the ladies, whom you don't know, who shared intimate parts of their growing up with me. The arrogance of such is amazing.

When that arrogance is coupled with the smug religious overtones that you (knowingly or not) imbue in most of APS's discussions of a sexual nature it takes on an even more insulting nature. 

I'm not actually upset with you, even while being insulted, because there's no real point.  My point of view effectively won the culture war on this topic decades ago.  I'm simply pointing out to you how rude and insulting you are being.  Many of your posts make it seem like you don't really realize how you're coming across to people who might not share your experiences or point of view.  I also think you tend to conflict correlation and causation among any issues, or societal ills, associated with sexuality. 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2017, 10:10:08 AM »
Having a different perspective than you is not an insult, and I won't claim that you've insulted me or my religion, just because you don't agree with me.

This, on the other hand:

You are wrong on this subject, and too poorly educated on it to realize it. Which is kinda sad.

You say this, yet complain that I am arrogant and condescending. It seems like you would want to rethink that.

Unfortunately, there's no way to debate differing viewpoints on anything important without implying that someone you don't know did something wrong.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 11:47:19 AM by fistful »