Author Topic: 59 kabooms on Syrian airfield  (Read 4903 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
59 kabooms on Syrian airfield
« on: April 06, 2017, 11:42:07 PM »
The President orders a strike against the Syrian airfield implicated in this week's nerve gas attack against civilians.  The US Navy obliges by launching 59 Tomahawks off a couple of Burke class destroyers in the eastern Med.

I wonder how this changes things for President Assad.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: 59 kabooms on Syrian airfield
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 09:35:13 AM »
From skimming the stories this morning, it seems Trump is mostly supported. It seems his guys devised a good strategy of decisive destruction of a single target, most likely the source of the chemical attacks. Of course the dems, while mostly supporting the strike (sans that moron from Hawaii) are whining that they weren't consulted.  I reckon the R's would have done the same.

Interesting slight tangent: In her big interview yesterday, just hours before the strike, Clinton said that we should do just what Trump did. Gotta wonder if she was given a head's up from her friends still in State that this was happening, given that she and Obama did nothing when it was their turn.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/04/07/hours-before-airstrikes-hillary-clinton-called-for-bombing-syrian-airfields.html

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 09:58:02 AM »
I have to wonder what Putin's response will be, or if perhaps Trump and Putin discussed this beforehand.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 10:11:10 AM »
the dems, while mostly supporting the strike (sans that moron from Hawaii) are whining that they weren't consulted

They aren't the only ones and they aren't entirely wrong.
There is no reason to forego congressional debate now, just as there was no reason to forego congressional debate when Obama considered taking the nation to war against Syria in 2013.

And of course Trump himself expressed similar views in the past
What will we get for bombing Syria besides more debt and a possible long term conflict? Obama needs Congressional approval.

Would Congress block him like they did Obama? I kind of don't think so.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 10:11:16 AM »
Supposedly Putin was notified about an hour before they hit.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 10:33:10 AM »
Hmmm . . . if it was the site of the gas attack's origin that was hit, was any warehoused gas released by the explosions?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 10:39:55 AM »
Hmmm . . . if it was the site of the gas attack's origin that was hit, was any warehoused gas released by the explosions?

That would be poetic justice if it happened.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 11:18:31 AM »
They aren't the only ones and they aren't entirely wrong.
And of course Trump himself expressed similar views in the past
Would Congress block him like they did Obama? I kind of don't think so.

Well, this isn't war. The Commander in Chief is given some discretionary power specifically to swiftly act against threats like this. If he was looking at boots on the ground or long term, multiple evolutions of missile strikes, certainly he should go to Congress. For something like this, he (or any President) needs to be able to swiftly act. Taking a single, defined action like this to Congress would usually mean he might be able to act in a few weeks or so, when they are done arguing. This is nearly a textbook example of a necessarily swift response.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 11:26:33 AM »
I want swift and decisive missile strikes against people who keep using the phrase "boots on the ground."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 11:32:08 AM »
What about taking many, many "swift actions" on a foreign country over a long period of time? Is that not war?

I call BS on the Syrian Govt. using gas... just like the first time it was reported in 2013. This is just a ruse to get involved.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/hillary-clinton-approved-delivering-libyas-sarin-gas-to-syrian-rebels-seymour-hersh/5522647

Because hey, that Saudi oil pipeline has to be built and Israel could use the regional instability to expand its influence. Got at it 'merica!
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 11:35:06 AM »
The Commander in Chief is given some discretionary power specifically to swiftly act against threats like this.
Threats against us or our allies, sure.

For something like this, he (or any President) needs to be able to swiftly act.
So is this what Obama should have done in 2013, instead of punting to congress?
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 11:59:44 AM »
There are treaties against chemical weapons, but I don't know what our obligations are.  

I would like to know what proof they have that Assad ordered it, but I haven't seen that (or looked for it I guess).

I kind of wonder if this was just a chance for Trump to flex his muscles a bit as COC.  I guess it is better than drawing a line for someone to cross.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 12:10:15 PM »

So is this what Obama should have done in 2013, instead of punting to congress?

VS constantly redrawing a line not to cross "or else"? Yes. Even his SECSTATE agrees they did it wrong.

You can argue against meddling entirely and minding our own business, but if we are going to meddle, get off the wobbly fence and get with the von Clausewitz.

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 12:36:29 PM »
if we are going to meddle, get off the wobbly fence and get with the von Clausewitz.
Well that would definitely require Congress.

I went back and found the OLD syria thread, not much has changed. =|

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 12:58:36 PM »
After 8 years of Obama  .......  we HAD  59 Tomahawk missiles left in our stores? [popcorn] :laugh:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2017, 01:08:00 PM »
Well, this isn't war. The Commander in Chief is given some discretionary power specifically to swiftly act against threats like this. If he was looking at boots on the ground or long term, multiple evolutions of missile strikes, certainly he should go to Congress. For something like this, he (or any President) needs to be able to swiftly act. Taking a single, defined action like this to Congress would usually mean he might be able to act in a few weeks or so, when they are done arguing. This is nearly a textbook example of a necessarily swift response.

More importantly, he needs to be able to act decisively and secretly. If the strike had been debated for a week or three in Congress, Assad would have had pleenty of time to move the planes and weapons away from that airfield and any airfield within reach of our missiles.

Heck, didn't Bill Clinton do something similar during his presidency?

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/clinton-orders-air-attack-on-iraq
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2017, 02:13:05 PM »
After 8 years of Obama  .......  we HAD  59 Tomahawk missiles left in our stores? [popcorn] :laugh:
I was wondering why it wasn't an even 60.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2017, 02:32:06 PM »

One got stuck in the launch tube.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2017, 03:36:54 PM »
More importantly, he needs to be able to act decisively and secretly. If the strike had been debated for a week or three in Congress, Assad would have had pleenty of time to move the planes and weapons away from that airfield and any airfield within reach of our missiles.
It's not like Congress needs to debate specific strikes, the AUMF can be pretty broad so I'm not sure where the secrecy needs to come in. And, I could be wrong but, I doubt Assad could get his stuff out of our range and still be able to use it himself so... mission accomplished?

Heck, didn't Bill Clinton do something similar during his presidency?
So Hillary would have done it and Bill did do it? Wonderful footsteps to follow in. :facepalm:

If the United States has not been attacked or threatened, congressional approval should be sought, not merely for legal purposes but also to ensure that complexities have been thought through and public support for a risky intervention has been won.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2017, 04:04:58 PM »
A Russian warship is in the eastern Mediterranean, headed toward the area where the U.S. destroyers have been operating.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/04/07/russian-warship-steams-toward-us-destroyers-that-launched-syria-strikes.html

Granted, Russian ships in that area are nothing new.  Just wondering if this is more than routine.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2017, 04:36:37 PM »

"Hey guys, check the 'best before' dates on all the Tomahawks and see what we need to use up soon."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2017, 06:09:22 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2017, 06:26:24 PM »
"Hey guys, check the 'best before' dates on all the Tomahawks and see what we need to use up soon."

I could relate an anecdote about a fast attack sub engaged in exercises at the AUTEC range and getting to shoot five end of life warshots where three of them didn't detonate, but I won't
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2017, 02:39:23 PM »
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2017, 09:20:30 AM »
Late to the party, but I think DJT should have taken the advice and cautions he gave Obama.  The only possible reason this makes ANY sense whatsobleepingever is that it might be a message to Li'l Kim.  Other than that, this is pure neocon interventionist stupidity.

<Fred Thompson voice, in The Hunt for Red October> "This business will get out of control.  It will get out of control, and we'll be lucky to live through it".
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.