Author Topic: OK! What is your favorite western?  (Read 11756 times)

Waitone

• friend
OK! What is your favorite western?
« on: December 27, 2006, 03:46:35 AM »
Another thread got me thinkin' about westerns.  What is you favorite?

Me?  I guess my favorite would be early, early John Wayne westerns shot long before he became a big star.  He appeared in a blue hundred B grade westerns.  Plots were pretty much the same.  Some of the character actors had an air of authenticity about them you just don't sense with today's actors.  Horsemanship was excellent.  Stunts were insanely dangerous.  Mid to late '30's Hollywood hired a number of genuine official cowboys as actors and consultants.  Tom Mix was one.  The famous Wyatt Earp made a nice living working with film producers.  My favorite John Wayne flick was "Searchers".  Couldn't decide until the end if he was a good guy or a bad guy.

My favorite TV western was "The Rifleman". Lots of good morals teaching going on.  Beside that, the music bed was great.  It added to the tension in ways that other westerns simply missed.

OK, How 'bout you?
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: OK! What is you favorite western?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 04:34:16 AM »
I can't decide which one, but there's a certain trilogy... smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 05:26:10 AM »
Waitone -- I'm right there with you. Love the early John Wayne films, especially the "certain trilogy" referred to by Fistful. Probably my favorite film though is the I guess you could call it "pre-western" film, "The Big Trail". Wayne's first starring role and one of the first talkies. About the migration along the Oregon Trail. You have to see it in the "full" version though, usually shown on AMC a few times a year. The DVD Fox put out SUCKS. It has about 30 minutes cut out of the "good" version.

Also a big fan of the Rifleman, for the same reasons -- great "morals" stories and clear good vs bad tales. I like moral clarity once in a while.  smiley I'm re-watching the whole series via Netflix right now. I once dated and almost, tragically, married a far, far left gun hating liberal woman. One of my greatest legacies after breaking up with her was having hooked her five year old on "The Rifleman". The other one was hooking him on "The Three Stooges". She hated me so...... laugh
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 05:43:39 AM »
They're all my favorites...  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
Re: OK! What is your favorite western?
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 09:32:58 AM »
Blazing Saddles - besides being a pretty good western it is the movie that's made me laugh harder than any other regardless of genre in my 54 years.

John Wayne can't be beat.

#1 - John Wayne and the Cowboys
#2 - The Searchers

Another good one that comes to mind though I can't remember the name is that western with Gene Hackman as a gunfighter that holds a gun fighting contest in his town. Had Sharon Stone and Russel Crow in it too. Very cool movie and a great ending.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 09:55:18 AM »
"...over the Mountain of the Moon, through the Valley of the Shandow,
ride Bowley, ride, in search of El Dorado."

-----------------------------

"Hey, you fall off your horse?"

"YEAH!"

(attached as a .wav file -Brad)

"My name is Alan ... BeDillion ... Trahern"

"Lordamighty!"

"What are you lookin' at?"

"I'm lookin' at a tin star with a drunk pinned on it."
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

JAlexander

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 10:02:55 AM »
Blazing Saddles, Rio Bravo, and Pale Rider. 

James

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 10:57:05 AM »
Pale Rider, Unforgiven, and Open Range.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 11:24:04 AM »
The gun nuts favorite Western:  Big Jake. police
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2006, 12:17:16 PM »
Favorite "real" western that all the old folks have heard of:  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.
Favorite modern western:  Unforgiven
Favorite silly western:  The Quick and the Dead.  Gene Hackman was great in that!
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 12:19:35 PM »
My favorites include:

Rio Bravo.  Hawks' antidote to the absurdity of "High Noon."  It's one of the greatest Westerns ever made, and set the pattern for a thousand action films to come.  The whole opening segment is done with virtually no dialog and is a remarkable piece of filmmaking.  Wayne is paired off with Walter Brennan as the sidekick Stumpy and Dean Martin as a washed up drunk of a deputy.  Brennan was an academy award winning actor, and brings a depth to the sidekick role.  Martin was no stranger to the bottle, and does a surprisingly good job in the film.  The shootouts are fantastic.  Hawks himself remade it twice.  "El Dorado" is the best of these, and in some ways an improvement on the original. 

Stagecoach, of course.

Red River and The Searchers

I count "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" as a Western, and it also happens to be one of the top ten greatest films of all time.

I really liked "Silverado."  It's an homage to the golden age westerns and it works very well.  

For grittier westerns I Walter Hill's "The Long Riders."  It brought a historical realism and grit to the genre many years before "Unforgiven."

For TV westerns, "Lonesome Dove" is the best.  

"Tombstone" was fun, but I wish it had more Sam Elliot.  

And speaking of Elliot, I really really loved "Conagher," the retro TNT B-Western that gave Elliot the time to settle into his role.  Pick it up on DVD if you see it.  

guess my favorite would be early, early John Wayne westerns shot long before he became a big star.  He appeared in a blue hundred B grade westerns.

A lot of these have been coming out on DVD lately.  "Tall in the Saddle" is one of my favorites.  It was made in '44, when Wayne was already well on his way to becoming an A-List superstar.  But the plot and style are a throwback to the serial Westerns of the 1930's.  It pairs Wayne with Gabby Hayes in several memorable scenes.  

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037343/

I've never cared much for Shane, High Noon, Dances with Wolves, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Little Big Man, or any of the other "squishy" or touchy-feely westerns. 

I like the Italian westerns as fun popcorn films, but don't care much for "Once Upon A Time in the West" because it tries to look serious and just ends up looking silly. 

I hated "The Quick and the Dead," the one with Sharon Stone in it.  Hackman looked very happy to finally get put out of his misery.   A western with that Dicaprio punk?  Come on.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2006, 12:22:33 PM »
I like the Deadwood series on HBO.

I like McClintock, Red River, Cheyenne Social Club, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence, My Name is Nobody, Nevada Smith, and Cowboy.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2006, 01:23:02 PM »
My hands-down favorite is "The Unforgiven."

This may sound like heresy, but I never much cared for John Wayne. I have no idea why.

As for TV westerns, I like just about all of them: Rawhide, The Rifleman, Wanted Dead or Alive, Have Gun Will Travel (when I was a kid, I wanted to look like Richard Boone), and even Bonanza. Yeah, Bonanza wasn't a real western, but our whole family gathered around the TV on Sunday nights to watch it.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2006, 01:31:27 PM »
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is the best western ever made. Its only competition is The Searchers.

Winchester '73 is exceptionally good.

True Grit and the Shootist are great fun.

Pale Rider is an under appreciated classic.

Blazing Saddles is hysterical.

I really like Breakheart Pass, too, but it doesn't get very good reviews.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2006, 01:58:35 PM »
Blazing Saddles - besides being a pretty good western it is the movie that's made me laugh harder than any other regardless of genre in my 54 years.

John Wayne can't be beat.

#1 - John Wayne and the Cowboys
#2 - The Searchers

Another good one that comes to mind though I can't remember the name is that western with Gene Hackman as a gunfighter that holds a gun fighting contest in his town. Had Sharon Stone and Russel Crow in it too. Very cool movie and a great ending.

I like a good many of John Wayne's films from the Cavalry trilogy on. And the Cav. trilogy finance "The Quiet Man" (which isn't a western, but a great John Wayne film). I thought McClintock was a real good one. True Grit... another good one, but based on a novel by Charles Portis.

That "The Quick and The Dead" thing... I saw it too. I thought the ending was the best part. She killed 'em and the movie was over. grin Sam Elliott did another film called "The Quick and The Dead" based on a Louis L'Amour novel by the same title. I consider it was a lot better.

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2006, 02:02:50 PM »
"My name is Alan ... BeDillion ... Trahern"

Robert Mitchum's response: "No wonder he carries a knife."

"...over the Mountain of the Moon, through the Valley of the Shandow,
ride Bowley, ride, in search of El Dorado."

http://www.stormpages.com/clark/eldorado.html

El Dorado
By
Edgar Allan Poe

Gaily bedight, A gallant knight, In sunshine and in shadow,
Had journeyed long, Singing a song, In search of El Dorado.

But he grew old - This knight so bold - And o'er his heart a shadow
Fell as he found, No spot of ground, That looked like El Dorado.

And, as his strength, Failed him at length, He met a pilgrim shadow -
'Shadow,' said he, 'Where can it be - This land of El Dorado?'

'Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,' The shade replied, - 'If you seek for El Dorado!'

-THE END-

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2006, 02:14:55 PM »
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is the best western ever made. Its only competition is The Searchers.

Winchester '73 is exceptionally good.

True Grit and the Shootist are great fun.

Pale Rider is an under appreciated classic.

Blazing Saddles is hysterical.

I really like Breakheart Pass, too, but it doesn't get very good reviews.

"Winchester '73" I really like. It and "The Far Country" are two of my favorite Jimmy Stewart westerns. Speaking of "The Far Country", Mr. Stewart owned the horse he rode... he rode him in seven westerns and kept him 20+ years until the horse's death.

"True Grit" I've already comment on except to say the movie was funnier than the novel due to the interaction between John Wayne, Glen Campbell, and Kim Darby. I think they really brought their characters to life.

"The Shootist"... you know, that's the last movie John Wayne ever made. He knew he was dying when they filmed it. Some of his historians said that movie was really his way of expressing what he was feeling at the time. That cancer's hell.

"Pale Rider"... I always tune in late, but I like what I see of it well enough I wish I could see it from the beginning so I know what brought the preacher to that settlement.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2006, 03:36:10 PM »
I'll 'prolly get flamed for this, but my top favorite western movie is Wyatt Erp, the one with Kevin Costner.  Pale Rider & Unforgiven tie for 2nd place.  Back to the Future, Pt III is 3rd.

For TV shows, Rawhide gets top billing in my home.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2006, 05:47:05 PM »
For anyone interested in the B-movie John Wayne films, I was just browsing Amazon and they have 20 John Wayne westerns (mostly from his Lone Star days) for $5.49. Goto DVDs, then choose "under $9.99" and it's on the first page.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2006, 05:58:17 PM »
Back to the Future, Pt III is 3rd.
  What is proper punishment for such blasphemous utterance?  The mind boggles.   
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2006, 06:17:31 PM »
Back to the Future, Pt III is 3rd.

I thought BttF3 was a pretty good funny "what if" kind of deal. But then I sorta also compare it with "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" because of the "Steampunk" genre and so many references to Jules Verne. But to list BttF3 among classic westerns, I don't think so.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2006, 06:49:14 PM »

A snarl, a sneer, a whip that stings.  These are a few of my favorite things.  grin

But to list BttF3 among classic westerns, I don't think so.

Well, the question was "What is your favorite western?", not "What is your favorite CLASSIC western?"  If we must exclude the western offshoots, replace BttF3 with Two Mules for Sister Sarah.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2006, 09:32:59 PM »
Another good one I like is "A Fistful of Dollars."
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2006, 09:43:44 PM »
Not my favorite (Unforgiven has that tied up) but a fun one is Paint Your Wagon(I think that's the title).  It's a musical.  What makes it memorable (and painful) is that both Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood have singing parts!  shocked
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.