Author Topic: OK! What is your favorite western?  (Read 11754 times)

Cosmoline

• friend
Re: OK! What is your favorite western?
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2006, 09:57:54 PM »
Not my favorite (Unforgiven has that tied up) but a fun one is Paint Your Wagon(I think that's the title).  It's a musical.  What makes it memorable (and painful) is that both Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood have singing parts!  shocked

Now see, THIS is a high crime.  And I deny ever singing "Hand me down that can of beans" in the shower. 

S_O_Laban

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2006, 10:56:13 PM »
Another good one I like is "A Fistful of Dollars."

I too, am a big fan of the "spaghetti westerns," but much prefer "For a Few Dollars More" and (one I haven't seen mentioned yet) "Shalako" with Brigitte Bardot and  Sean Connery. 
I Think the musical scores and the rather raw directing are what I like about them.

I like The Duke also, and consider "Stagecoach", "The Searchers" and "Rio Bravo" among my favotites.

"Treasure of the Sierra Madre"  is definetely a classic. 

When it comes down to old fashioned revenge..... "High Plains Drifter" is right at the top. 

Actually "Mavrick" was kinda fun to watch, and speaking of fun, my wife and I love Bob Hope's Paleface movies. More slapstick comedy than western.   cheesy

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2006, 03:05:01 AM »
Another good one I like is "A Fistful of Dollars."

I too, am a big fan of the "spaghetti westerns," but much prefer "For a Few Dollars More"
And just when I was finally getting some respect.   angry  No, I agree with you, SO.  FFDM is better.  If this weren't the Westerns thread, though, I would also recommend Yojimbo. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2006, 12:46:34 PM »
Not my favorite (Unforgiven has that tied up) but a fun one is Paint Your Wagon(I think that's the title).  It's a musical.  What makes it memorable (and painful) is that both Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood have singing parts!  shocked

I recall somebody said that's the most violent movie Clint Eastwood ever made. They said when Clint sings, that's violence. IIRC, that was at a B-day roast they did right after Clint had filmed the one where he played Gunny Hiway... also IIRC, I think it was Don Rickles that got up there and asked him if he got a haircut from Stevie Wonder.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2006, 04:26:29 PM »
For TeeVee westerns can't beat Rawhide.  Eastwood made his start.  However the best western star in my view was Eric Fleming (Gil Favor in Rawhide).  By the story line he was a Philadelphia dandy who went west.  I think he just epitomized what a western character ought to be.  He died shooting a movie somewhere in South America.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2006, 06:29:45 PM »
I always enjoyed watching Rawhide when I was a kid back in the late 1970's and '80's. grin

My sister and I both... we liked Clint Eastwood's "Rowdy Yates" character a whole lot better than some of his later stuff.

Gil Favor... I recall the episode where his two daughters joined them on the drive. They told some about him having a family... that was the first time I ever heard about that. As for him being a dandy, I wouldn't have thought of it. Seemed to me he was a little too cool in the way he handled some of the situations.

Eric Fleming... he was 41 when he died.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0281661/

He filmed "The Glass Bottom Boat" in 1965 and contracted with MGM-TV to film the two-part adventure series "High Jungle" in Peru. During the shooting of location shots on the Huallaga River on September 28, 1966, Fleming dove from a dug-out canoe after paddling it beyond the rapids. His body was lost in the turbulent water and was not recovered until three days later.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2006, 04:32:26 AM »
Not my favorite (Unforgiven has that tied up) but a fun one is Paint Your Wagon(I think that's the title). 
I tried watching that once, but I couldn't get past the, uh, full-figured lady who was hoping to be raped. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2006, 08:55:33 AM »
If we're including tv ...

High Chaparral

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2006, 09:48:04 AM »
We watched "Broken Trail" on AMC the other evening, starring Robert Duvall and Thomas Hayden Church ("Lowell" from Wings).  Nicely done.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

slzy

• friend
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2006, 10:28:21 AM »
from the sublime to the ridiculous, Fort Apache and F Troop.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2006, 11:18:44 AM »
starring Robert Duvall

I was never a big fan of Duvall, until the Westerns he's done these past few years. Broken Trail, Open Range -- he's the consummate knowing, older cowboy.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2006, 08:28:49 PM »
Rustler's Rhapsody is a terrific parody.

I just rewatched Unforgiven, which I forgot to mention.  Holy Ba-log-na, that movie pegs the needle in Grittiness.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2006, 01:44:37 AM »
I can not believe no one even mentioned "Once Upon A Time In The West"!!!

The good guy is about to rape the heroine but stops when he realizes
theres a guy that needs killing.
The Evil railroad owner tells the bad guy "I told you to scare them"
he replies "People scare better when they're dead"

I've seen some great Italian westerns, really grim and violent.
One memorable one has a Raquel Welch look alike
& in one scene the blows open her poncho...no undies!
If any a you kin recall the name of that one I sure would preciate it..yup!

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is one of my fave's too
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2006, 04:43:30 AM »
When I was a kid, "Gunsmoke" was my favorite. I loved how Festus would always butcher the English language.

My favorite part was probably when the snake oil salesman came to town. Festus tells the snake oil dealer "You can't go sellin' that around here until we're sure it's fit for public conniption."

Movies?

I really liked "The Outlaw Josey Wales" and "Two mules for Sister Sara". "Unforgiven" gets an honorable mention.

I also have to confess to enjoying "The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams". Can't imagine why. laugh

Another little Festus tidbit, from IMDB:

Dr. Galen 'Doc' Adams: [Festus offers to buy Doc a beer with a silver dollar that he earned from shoeing horses in episode "Whelan's Men".] Why don't you take that money and invest it in something? Why don't you do that?
Festus Haggen: Invest it in what?
Dr. Galen 'Doc' Adams: There's wonderful land values outside of Dodge. Now why don't you go out there someplace, look around, and buy yourself a lot?
Festus Haggen: A lot of what?
Dr. Galen 'Doc' Adams: A lot! A lot of land!
Festus Haggen: Well fiddle, I can't afford to buy a lot of land. You probably could the way you've been a bilking and gouging...
Dr. Galen 'Doc' Adams: Oh, hush up! I'm trying to help you, for heaven sakes. It don't cost a whole lot to buy a little lot.
Festus Haggen: What do you mean it don't cost a whole lot to buy a little, or a whole lot to buy a lot, what do you mean?
Dr. Galen 'Doc' Adams: Well, I mean,... a little lot of land!
Festus Haggen: But there ain't no such a thing. A little's a little, and a lot's a lot, there ain't no little lot, or lot of little, don't you see? Now you want that beer or don't you?
Dr. Galen 'Doc' Adams: No I'm... I'm all worn out.
Festus Haggen: [and as Doc walks away Festus Hollers] If you change your mind me and Newly will be over at the Longbranch having a whole lot of little beers.
[Chuckles and flips his silver dollar]
Festus Haggen: Now I'm buying.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2007, 12:59:10 PM »
Lots of good stuff mentioned so far.
How about "The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean" with Paul Newman.  A funny movie, that one.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2007, 01:15:49 PM »
I forgot to mention McCabe and Mrs. Miller.  Very edgy realism, one of those movies from 1968-1972 that made me feel like I was right there in the middle of the action.

In most movies, only one actor is talking at one time.  Not as bad as stage theater, where one actor is talking center stage and the other actors are all looking at him.  In McCabe, though, in many scenes the actors on the sidelines are all having their own conversations; very lifelike.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2007, 05:08:57 PM »
I've seen some great Italian westerns, really grim and violent.
One memorable one has a Raquel Welch look alike
& in one scene the blows open her poncho...no undies!
If any a you kin recall the name of that one I sure would preciate it..yup!

Are you sure it wasn't Hannie Caulder?  That was Raquel Welch, poncho and all.

-Jack
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2007, 03:32:32 PM »
the Sergio Leone trilogy; Tombstone; Unforgiven. Everything else is derivative or sub-par. 

Maser

• friend
    • The Teen Guns Forum
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2007, 03:41:12 PM »
Favorite movie is Unforgiven.

Favorite show is Gunsmoke.
Why must life be so hard? Why must I cry? Why must I be so wrong? Why must I die?

Lee

• friend
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2007, 05:04:29 PM »
That's a tough question.  Once Upon A Time In the West and just about anything with Eastwood.  But I have to say that the Lonesome Dove mini-series ranks right at the top of my list.

griz

• friend
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2007, 03:45:13 AM »
Most of my favorites are already listed.  But for a comedy western try El Diablo.

One exchange:

Hero to what is presented as a Villian at first:  "You shot him in the back!?!"
Villian, "His back was to me".
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2007, 04:49:48 AM »
 "The good, the bad and the ugly"

"My name is nobody"

Terence Hill and Bud Spencer, anybody ?
Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

Iain

• friend
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2007, 01:19:08 PM »
Saw some of El Dorado today. Always liked it.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2007, 04:25:56 PM »
Unforgiven
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2007, 09:25:15 PM »
Does Blazing Saddles count?   laugh
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.