Author Topic: OK! What is your favorite western?  (Read 11757 times)

mike

Re: OK! What is your favorite western?
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2007, 08:37:53 AM »
How about "Hombre" and "High 'em High"?

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2007, 03:31:09 PM »
Was it Rio Bravo where James Caan played "Mississippi" and shot a sign with his sawed of SG and then the sign hits the bad guy?

The Duke: "Did ya hit him?"

Mississippi: "I hit the sign and the sign hit him. He was limping when he left."

cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Frontier509

« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2007, 04:13:16 AM »
1. Broken Trail with Robert Duval

"We're all travelers in this world
from the sweet grass to the packing house
from birth to death
we travel between the eternities"--
--Print Ritter

2. Unforgiven

"We all have it coming kid"

--William Muney

Wasz

« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2007, 04:31:11 AM »
The best Western ever made was The Searchers.  If you at least picked a John Ford film then youre at least OK otherwise, I just dont know. 

Outlaw Josey Wales was very good, as was Unforgiven.  The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance was very good too.  Of late I find myself looking to some of the older John Wayne and John Ford westerns.  Im also very fond of Clint's work, but The Searchers is just the best.

I once read that when High Plains Drifter came out The Duke was interviewed on the way into the theater.  He commented that it was great to see more westerns, that he had heard this new kid was good and maybe they should work together.  When leaving after the movie Wayne said that that was not the kind of movie Americans wanted to see and that it was a travisty.  I never reasearched if it was true or not, but it always sounded like a neat story to me.

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2007, 08:59:29 AM »
Was it Rio Bravo where James Caan played "Mississippi" and shot a sign with his sawed of SG and then the sign hits the bad guy?

Mississippi: "I hit the sign and the sign hit him. He was limping when he left."

cheesy
El dorado. Anyone know what kind of rifle Bull was using?

I like the Searchers because John Wayne was such an a-hole in it. While the Man who shot Liberty Valence is good, it is also depressing at the end. One movie I seem to like is The fastest gun alive with Glenn Ford...lots of drama.

Another movie I like but have not seen mentioned yet is Little Big Man. It stared Dustin Hoffman, I cannot explain the whole movie but it follows a white mans life as he is adopted by indians, freed by whites, and is captured by indians again. During that time he meets both Wild Bill and Gen Custer.
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2007, 11:21:09 AM »
Yup, I always get them two confused. IIRC Rio Bravo had Ricky Nelson playing a part similar to Caan's, the young whippersnapper learning the hard way from the seasoned old scruffy Duke. I pretty much like all of the Duke's stuff. I got an interesting "If JW was alive and played in Brokeback Mountain" clip the other day. Unfortunately not APS material.   shocked

cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2007, 11:33:49 AM »

Duke:  "He was limping when he got here!"

"Eldorado" - John Wayne, James Caan, and Robert Mitchum
"Rio Lobo" - John Wayne and Jorge Rivero (Jack Elam as the plucky comedy relief)
"Rio Bravo" - John Wayne and Dean Martin (Ricky Nelson as 'Colorado' and Walter Brennan as the grouchy deputy 'Stumpy')

Trivia Question - Which other John Wayne movie co-starred a hearthrob singer, and who was it?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2007, 01:07:43 PM »

IIRC, it was an old Colt's revolving rifle. I disremember the model #'s on those. I think Bull's was percussion cap&ball though. I don't recall any of those into the cartridge era. (However, as a side note, I recall post-War-of-Northern-Aggression, Winchester and Marlin made 4-shot revolving shotguns.)

Duke:  "He was limping when he got here!"

That was right before they trailed the wounded man into the saloon and Robert Mitchum shot the strings out of the piano.

Robert Mitchum: "He sure is playing a lot of sour notes tonight" or to that effect.
Arthur Honeycutt: "Yeah, and you shootin' them strings out didn't help it none."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2007, 02:18:06 PM »
Once again
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Once_Upon_a_Time_in_the_West

Henry Fonda as bad guy(Frank), the evil railroad guy hires Frank to scare a family off their land.
Frank kills them all, including the kids.
Morton (the evil railroad guy )
says "I told you to scare them, not kill them!"
Frank "people scare better when they're dead"

Another memorable quote was "you remind me of my mother, she was a whore too"

Of course Liberty Valence is great too, I love that bar room scene where Lee Van Cleef is calling for a doctor for liberty and a guy says I'm a doctor!
get me some whiskey...he takes a swig and says "he's dead"...
classic!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

kudu

• friend
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2007, 02:46:08 PM »
One of my favorite John Wayne movies was "Angel and the Badman".  I haven't seen it in several years.    I always liked Wild Wild West as a TV show, kinda funny and ingenious.

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2007, 07:46:34 AM »

Trivia Question - Which other John Wayne movie co-starred a hearthrob singer, and who was it?

Brad
The Alamo, Frankie Avalon?
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2007, 09:32:10 AM »
Well, I was thinking of "North to Alaska" with Fabian, but that works just as well.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2007, 03:13:06 PM »
I forgot one of the all-time greats.  Go look it up in the IMDB:

The Villain

grin

Colt-Root revolving rifle, probably the original .54 caliber.  They were considered bad news by those who carried and used them in the War of Southern Treason.

The shooter was advised not to have his support hand forward of the cylinder/barrel gap.  Berdan's Sharpshooters were issued the guns, and were less than enamored of them:

Newspapers gleefully reported shooters setting their sleeves on fire and there were reports that you could tell how long a Sharpshooter had been in service by counting his remaining digits. The Roots became known as "Colonel Colt's Revolving Wheel of Misfortune."
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2007, 07:16:32 PM »

cheesy

"He was limping when he got here!"

El Dorado.
I like both El Dorado and Rio Bravo.  Basically the same story, but both are good.  Rio Bravo has Dean Martin, Ricky Nelson and Walter Brennan playing the good guys alongside John Wayne.  It's also the movie debut of very young 22 year old Angie Dickinson.
Rio Lobo is also kind of fun.  Always liked the late Jack Elam in comedic roles.
All three were Howard Hawks films.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2007, 07:28:58 PM »

Colt-Root revolving rifle, probably the original .54 caliber.  They were considered bad news by those who carried and used them in the War of Southern Treason.

The shooter was advised not to have his support hand forward of the cylinder/barrel gap.  Berdan's Sharpshooters were issued the guns, and were less than enamored of them:

Newspapers gleefully reported shooters setting their sleeves on fire and there were reports that you could tell how long a Sharpshooter had been in service by counting his remaining digits. The Roots became known as "Colonel Colt's Revolving Wheel of Misfortune."

First off, this thread we're discussing classic westerns; not your ridiculous little anti-Southern opinion.

Second, and more important to the discussion at hand with regard to this rifle, it kinda makes me wonder why Bull had one. I recall one of his lines had to do with having rode with Gen. Hood's Texas Cavalry.

Another thing to note about revolving rifles... I've heard of at least one CMSA competitor who shoots one of those .45Colt revolving carbines built on a slightly modified Peacemaker frame. They have to wear either the fancy leather cuffs that guard the forearms, or the full gauntlets, as either are period correct and will keep the burning powder away.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2007, 07:40:44 AM »
Easy, Spanky, you're also in a glass house here...

I originally posted "Civil War" but had to do something to offset your smarmy little bit, once I noticed the subtle insertion thereof:

(However, as a side note, I recall post-War-of-Northern-Aggression, Winchester and Marlin made 4-shot revolving shotguns.)

It's all fair play, right? Since we're discussing classic westerns; not your ridiculous little anti-Northern opinion.  Or is it one of those things where you can dish it out but can't take it?  There's an apt description for folks like that...  rolleyes

The Colt-Root revolving carbines were not a success.

The vast majority of Berdan Sharp Shooters hated the Colts. They were busy picking lead out from each other's faces as well as wrists and arms. It's the same spitting promblem that modern revolvers face today. Additionally, there were chain fires and one Berdan Sharp Shooter lost some digits because of it. They were happy to exchange them for breech-loading Sharps.

It's not just the burning powder flash, it's the lead shavings moving at high velocity, and even more impressive, the chainfires.  The spitting is also not limited to cap & ball revolving carbines.  I wear full-length sleeves with a certain one-off .44 Magnum revolving carbine when I take it to the range.

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2007, 10:20:57 AM »
I originally posted "Civil War" but had to do something to offset your smarmy little bit, once I noticed the subtle insertion thereof:

(However, as a side note, I recall post-War-of-Northern-Aggression, Winchester and Marlin made 4-shot revolving shotguns.)

It's all fair play, right? Since we're discussing classic westerns; not your ridiculous little anti-Northern opinion.  Or is it one of those things where you can dish it out but can't take it?  There's an apt description for folks like that...

So do you think the American Revolution of 1775-81 was a "War of American Treason"? Because that was the English gov't's position at the time, that American revolutionaries were traitors. I call it the War of Northern Aggression partly because, as with most wars, there wasn't anything civil about it. The other part is because it seems to me "Southern Treason" type comments need offsetting. Smarmy? No; matter of fact this is what I think of it. So any time any of us remotely gets on this subject, it's your "glass house" situation. I grew up knowing a lot of people hated the South, so it's not something new I can't take. BTW, my first girlfriend was a yankee and hated living in the South regardless of what I thought.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2007, 11:13:46 AM »
mustanger, do you clean those glass walls yourself, or hire it out?   laugh 

ROFL
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2007, 11:36:37 AM »
He has to clean them himself, else he'd go broke hiring maids to clean up the dried sputum after reading the daily chain-yanker from Gewehr98 or El Tejon.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2007, 12:19:14 PM »
the daily chain-yanker from Gewehr98 or El Tejon.

Is it that often? I must miss a lot of it. But ya'll know Murphy's Law of Combat... tracers work both ways and if the enemy is within range, so are you.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2007, 02:28:20 PM »
It worked!   grin

"Lighten up, Francis".

I just retired from a 20+ year military career, 10 years of which were spent in the Deepest South.  This particular Yankee can lay it on so thick you'd swear by Robert E. Lee himself that I was a Right Honorable Son of the Confederacy.  But I'm under no delusions that J.E.B. Stuart will arise magically from the grave and right the wrongs of William Tecumseh "Van Halen Ultimate Road Trip Weekend in Atlanta" Sherman. China will win a hostile economic takeover of the U.S. well before that ever happens. Hell, even that fine Southern institution known as the KKK would get tax-exempt status first. 

If you're going to inject bull$hit one-liners about the "War of Northern Aggression", then be a big boy and take your lumps when I or anybody else throws it back in your face, ok?  Or did you not think you'd get called on it on a forum comprised of (surprise!) people from all over the place? BTW, you can drop the faux angst bit, too.  You're simply pissed because I caught you with foot-in-mouth disease on a public forum, and then managed to get your goat, too.

Let me guess, you were the one at the ball game yelling at me when I didn't stand up for the playing of "Dixie" all those years ago...

As for why Bull would have a Colt-Root revolving rifle in that jailhouse, probably because it was discarded when the Union soldier who owned it got an armful of lead and powder burns.  Of course, it's a Hollywood movie, so who really knows?

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2007, 03:35:38 PM »
I just retired from a 20+ year military career, 10 years of which were spent in the Deepest South.

I have a 2nd cousin who went 25years in the Marine Corps and retired as a Gunnery Sargeant. I'm in the habit of thanking the vets for being there for us regardless of where they're from. I would hope you'd have enjoyed your stay down here.

This particular Yankee can lay it on so thick you'd swear by Robert E. Lee himself that I was a Right Honorable Son of the Confederacy.  But I'm under no delusions that J.E.B. Stuart will arise magically from the grave and right the wrongs of William Tecumseh "Van Halen Ultimate Road Trip Weekend in Atlanta" Sherman.

Most Southerners I know aren't under those delusions either. The KKK may be, the way they think all the answer are pre-War. As to Sherman, history has shown his true colors and his lack of character has been expounded upon by at least one Liberal college professor I studied with.

China will win a hostile economic takeover of the U.S. well before that ever happens. Hell, even that fine Southern institution known as the KKK would get tax-exempt status first.

China maybe. They seem well on their way. KKK? I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

If you're going to inject bull$hit one-liners about the "War of Northern Aggression", then be a big boy and take your lumps when I or anybody else throws it back in your face, ok?  Or did you not think you'd get called on it on a forum comprised of (surprise!) people from all over the place? BTW, you can drop the faux angst bit, too.  You're simply pissed because I caught you with foot-in-mouth disease on a public forum, and then managed to get your goat, too.

You know, I'm on other boards comprised of "people from all over the place" who beleive one version or the other of that war. One in particular, I've been posting with those folks for several years and we all get along a hell of a lot better than your abrasive attitude allows for. Foot-in-mouth disease? Get real. This subject of the truth of the war has been hashed and re-hashed and no matter how many times, there will be a split along the lines of who's read what. Neither of us is about to believe what the other is saying on this subject. Looks to me more like I got your goat.

Let me guess, you were the one at the ball game yelling at me when I didn't stand up for the playing of "Dixie" all those years ago...

You never did attend Ol' Miss games, did you? No wonder you didn't stand up for it. They're about the only school that played "Dixie". But neither did I because I didn't attend those games either.

denfoote1

« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2007, 07:54:09 PM »
TV: Wagon Train, Gunsmoke, F-Troop, Guns of Will Sonnet.

Movies: True Grit, Rooster Cogburn and the Lady, She wore a yellow ribbon.