Author Topic: United Airlines initiates self-immolation  (Read 43232 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: United Airlines initiates self-immolation
« Reply #275 on: April 24, 2017, 02:32:53 PM »

[Vincent Vega] Did you just order a thirty dolla' breakfas'?

[Mia Wallace] Um-hm.

[VV] That's a breakfas' - that's bacon 'n' eggs?

[MW] Last I heard.

[VV] That's thirty dolla's?

It's San Francisco, where a slice of toast is $4:  http://www.bonappetit.com/restaurants-travel/article/how-to-make-perfect-toast

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #276 on: April 24, 2017, 03:31:13 PM »
It's San Francisco, where a slice of toast is $4:  http://www.bonappetit.com/restaurants-travel/article/how-to-make-perfect-toast

Good bread I can understand (a little), but even regular grocery store bread tastes good toasted with plenty of butter melted in.  Shouldn't the butter on the bread in that picture actually be a little melted?  It looks like they buttered a cold piece of toast.  

Maybe that is what United Airlines can do.  Serve the passengers crappy hipster toast to make up for occasionally dragging them off the plane.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #277 on: April 24, 2017, 06:25:20 PM »
Well I see my connecting flight home is 45 minutes apart, looks like I may be staying in Denver Thursday night.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #278 on: April 24, 2017, 06:43:41 PM »
Well I see my connecting flight home is 45 minutes apart, looks like I may be staying in Denver Thursday night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo0MIUrrNpc

I've done Denver getting there just as the boarding announcement hit for my connection. My checked bag didn't make it, but I did. You will too, especially if it's the same airline. Unless your connection is to podunk, there should also be some later flights. Denver is a pretty decent hub.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #279 on: April 24, 2017, 07:05:32 PM »
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-united-chicago-aviation-police-met-20170413-story.html
http://chicago.suntimes.com/opinion/put-all-airport-security-in-hands-of-chicago-police/
I was browsing Massad Ayoob's blog and came across these links in the comments on the United incident.  Interesting info on who the Chicago aviation cops are and what official authority they have.

http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/2017/04/15/what-might-have-spared-the-tao-of-dr-dao/
Here is the blog post where I found it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #280 on: April 24, 2017, 07:36:23 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo0MIUrrNpc

I've done Denver getting there just as the boarding announcement hit for my connection. My checked bag didn't make it, but I did. You will too, especially if it's the same airline. Unless your connection is to podunk, there should also be some later flights. Denver is a pretty decent hub.

Flying to Des Moines, last flight of the night, I'll be staying the night.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #281 on: April 24, 2017, 07:42:27 PM »
Flying to Des Moines, last flight of the night, I'll be staying the night.

Only if your flight is late. In 45 minutes you should be able to do three laps around DEN on the train with a beer break in between.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #282 on: April 25, 2017, 01:14:14 AM »
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-united-chicago-aviation-police-met-20170413-story.html
http://chicago.suntimes.com/opinion/put-all-airport-security-in-hands-of-chicago-police/
I was browsing Massad Ayoob's blog and came across these links in the comments on the United incident.  Interesting info on who the Chicago aviation cops are and what official authority they have.

http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/2017/04/15/what-might-have-spared-the-tao-of-dr-dao/

Yep, there's a big kerfuffle here about the Aviation Police as the Chicago is desperately trying to find something/someway to CYA in the upcoming lawsuit.  Along with trying to prevent being sued in the future.  In the meantime.  Achmed and Mohammed are busy taking notes as to how this will create gaps and holes in airport security.   Nice job Dr. Special Snowflake *expletive deleted*bag Dao. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #284 on: April 29, 2017, 12:00:32 AM »
http://ijr.com/2017/04/857826-delta-slammed-kicking-passenger-off-plane-using-bathroom-theres-story/

From the link:

In her open letter, Krista Rosolino sided with the artist and DJ:

“Delta, what was Nice Gentleman supposed to do? Here are the options as I see it: 1) Urinate in his seat. This would be unpleasant for him, everyone around him, and the airline staff member who has to clean it up. 2) Urinate in a vomit bag or some type of device he could have possibly found. Again, same issue with being uncomfortable for him, those around him, and anyone cleaning up later. 3) Do what he did—wait as long as humanly (remember, we are humans?) possible, and then go to the bathroom as quickly as possible.”

Well Ma'am, there is a fourth option.  He could be a mother*expletive deleted*ing adult and take a leak in the terminal before boarding.  I guarantee that if he had been to the gate on time he had time to nip away from the line, tinkle, and still board before the doors closed.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #285 on: April 29, 2017, 12:07:34 AM »
From the link:

Well Ma'am, there is a fourth option.  He could be a mother*expletive deleted*ing adult and take a leak in the terminal before boarding.  I guarantee that if he had been to the gate on time he had time to nip away from the line, tinkle, and still board before the doors closed.

Not everyone has healthy kidneys and a bladder. Perhaps at the time he was waiting to board, he didn't need to go.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #286 on: April 29, 2017, 12:25:04 AM »
I'm kind of surprised by all the "good little puppet" responses this thread has brought forth.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #287 on: April 29, 2017, 12:42:57 AM »
Not everyone has healthy kidneys and a bladder. Perhaps at the time he was waiting to board, he didn't need to go.

While that's true for many people, I'd say if it were the case for this guy I'd assume he'd lead with that.  And maybe have mentioned it to Delta.

Quote from: RoadKingLarry
I'm kind of surprised by all the "good little puppet" responses this thread has brought forth.

I am as fed up and annoyed by Air Travel's security theater as the next guy, and more than many.  I fly quite a bit, and HATE that I have to waste as much of my life on useless idiotic dictates as I do.  That said, the good little scared citizens voted for this crap and deciding to be all special and playing the "federal law doesn't apply to me!!" card once you are on the airplane is the wrong answer, and makes it worse for the rest of us.

For that matter, the "Don't let people walk around and go into the bathroom during taxi, takeoff, and landing rule that the dude in Atlanta blew off is one of the few rules that is actually logical and useful from a safety and security standpoint.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #288 on: April 29, 2017, 08:48:42 AM »
The FAs are instructed to tell people to sit down whenever the seatbelt sign is on.  The problem is that some FAs and some pilots have an authority complex.  In this case, returning to the gate was stupid.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #290 on: April 29, 2017, 09:52:45 AM »

He would be right, if they were offering cash.

Everything I read suggested they were offering vouchers, which is totally not the same thing.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #291 on: April 29, 2017, 10:48:35 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/26/travel/bunny-death-united-trnd/

:'(

Don't ship live animals in airline cargo.

He would be right, if they were offering cash.

Everything I read suggested they were offering vouchers, which is totally not the same thing.

Correct.  Travel vouchers that are good for future flights, but they expire after one to two years.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #292 on: April 29, 2017, 11:32:13 AM »
Correct.  Travel vouchers that are good for future flights, but they expire after one to two years.

Which renders them valueless for a very large percentage of the traveling populace. Which is part of the reason the airlines use vouchers rather than cash. A cash payment of $800 involves $800. I don't know what a major airline's profit margin is, but an $800 voucher, if redeemed, only costs the airline the net cost of flying that seat, so something less than $800. And then they factor in that 'X' percentage of the recipients won't redeem the voucher at all, and that's a win for the airline.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 29, 2017, 12:29:35 PM »
Back to the "pee guy," there is a reasonable expectation that the plane will get off the ground in a reasonable amount of time, and if it doesn't, there are working bathrooms on board. I seriously doubt this guy held his pee until he got on the plane on purpose.
MOLON LABE!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #294 on: April 29, 2017, 01:23:30 PM »
The FAs are instructed to tell people to sit down whenever the seatbelt sign is on.  The problem is that some FAs and some pilots have an authority complex.  In this case, returning to the gate was stupid.
Agreed.  If he was going to sit on the throne for 20 minutes, that might be an issue, but a quick trip to empty the bladder should not have been a problem.  More than likely, everyone would know when the plane started moving again to set up for take off.

Are there rules saying the plane can't take off if a passenger is in the bathroom?

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #295 on: April 29, 2017, 03:24:39 PM »

Are there rules saying the plane can't take off if a passenger is in the bathroom?

Yes. Black and white.

The rules are more grey for taxiing with a passenger standing.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #296 on: April 30, 2017, 04:44:03 PM »
How many flights are taken without incidents? If this was really an issue you hear about it non stop in the media since airline service is a easy target.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 08:37:04 AM by charby »

Uranus is a gas giant.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #297 on: May 02, 2017, 01:09:36 PM »
Munoz is back in the news, busily at work trying to lock the barn door after the horse has been stolen:

http://nypost.com/2017/05/02/united-ceo-vows-to-stop-asking-seated-customers-to-leave-flights/

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #298 on: May 02, 2017, 01:36:48 PM »
Munoz is back in the news, busily at work trying to lock the barn door after the horse has been stolen:

http://nypost.com/2017/05/02/united-ceo-vows-to-stop-asking-seated-customers-to-leave-flights/

He may be using weasel words so he might mean what I'm saying, but "asking" people to get off the flight wasn't the problem.

Not a single person in this country (note: HYPERBOLE) had a problem with asking people to get off the flight.

It was the ordering people to get off the flight under threat of force and then (what made this a massive black eye for his company) use of force.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #299 on: May 02, 2017, 03:18:14 PM »
He may be using weasel words so he might mean what I'm saying, but "asking" people to get off the flight wasn't the problem.

Not a single person in this country (note: HYPERBOLE) had a problem with asking people to get off the flight.

It was the ordering people to get off the flight under threat of force and then (what made this a massive black eye for his company) use of force.

And THEN they killed the Easter Bunny!