Author Topic: Shooting at San Bernardino, CA elementary school  (Read 3900 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: San Bernardino Redux
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2017, 12:15:12 PM »
So do they restrict entry into the school?  Did the guy have to check in with anyone before entering?  Lock downs might work if you can reasonably expect to keep the potential attacker out.  If the attacker is already inside, I am not sure how well that works. 

Read that he checked into the office with his ID and they allowed him to go to his wife's classroom on his own. 
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2017, 02:32:59 PM »
So do they restrict entry into the school?  Did the guy have to check in with anyone before entering?  Lock downs might work if you can reasonably expect to keep the potential attacker out.  If the attacker is already inside, I am not sure how well that works. 

For years, I have been going into the schools where my wife works, during the school day.  At the local schools, all the doors are locked to exterior access except for the entry doors into the school office.  You stop and sign in, and if you are a relative of one of the teachers or staff, the school secretary or whomever just waves at you and tells you to go on back to the classroom.  I think they may do a more thorough check if they don't recognize the visitor. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2017, 02:42:05 PM »
For years, I have been going into the schools where my wife works, during the school day.  At the local schools, all the doors are locked to exterior access except for the entry doors into the school office.  You stop and sign in, and if you are a relative of one of the teachers or staff, the school secretary or whomever just waves at you and tells you to go on back to the classroom.  I think they may do a more thorough check if they don't recognize the visitor. 

I just tell them I'm there to take my clothes off in their girls' locker room.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2017, 12:58:42 AM »

A lockdown means each teacher closes and locks the door to each classroom. Of course, the way most classroom doors are arranged and the way classroom locks work, this typically requires each teacher to step out into the corridor with the key in order to lock the door before pulling it closed. Tough assignment if the shooter is in your corridor ...

Newer schools are getting different hardware (including electronic locks that can all be secured by the push of a button in the main office -- unless, of course, the folks in the main office are already dead -- like at Sandy Hook), but there must be tens or hundreds of thousands of schools across the country with the old style locks, and no money to replace them.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Shooting at San Bernardino, CA elementary school
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2017, 08:30:22 AM »
So, what's the final tally according to the anti-gun groups?

This was actually:

127 school shootings?

978 chillruns (chillruns  are anywhere from 0 to 127 years of age) were killed?

A wave of blood 11 feet high tidal waved down the streets?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2017, 01:22:43 PM »
Technically (according to FBI guidelines) this incident didn't kill enough people to be considered a "mass" shooting.

Which means I don't know if I should add it to my spreadsheet or not. I think I should, because I'm tracking such incidents to better document that "No guns allowed" laws and rules are ineffective in preventing shootings. (Note, please, that I did not refer to such incidents as "gun violence.")

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2017, 01:57:45 PM »
Maybe add it with an *
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2017, 08:24:06 PM »
Maybe add it with an *

I added it.

No asterisk. *expletive deleted*ck the FBI and their definition. The incident took place inside a school, which is legally a gun-free zone, yet a teacher and a student were killed and another student seriously wounded. More proof that anti-gun laws don't work.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2017, 09:46:15 PM »
Technically (according to FBI guidelines) this incident didn't kill enough people to be considered a "mass" shooting.

Which means I don't know if I should add it to my spreadsheet or not. I think I should, because I'm tracking such incidents to better document that "No guns allowed" laws and rules are ineffective in preventing shootings. (Note, please, that I did not refer to such incidents as "gun violence.")

What's the official number used for "mass" shooting?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2017, 10:05:36 PM »
It's low and most of them are domestic.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2017, 11:43:56 PM »
What's the official number used for "mass" shooting?

Four victim fatalities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_murder

The FBI defines mass murder as murdering four or more persons during an event with no "cooling-off period" between the murders. A mass murder typically occurs in a single location where one or more people kill several others.

And in looking that up I stumbled across another incident that I classify as a mass shooting, even if the FBI doesn't: July 23, 2015, Grand Theater 16 in Lafayette, Louisiana.  Two killed, nine wounded.. Yes, the theater was posted as a gun-free zone.

A good article here: http://crimeresearch.org/2014/09/more-misleading-information-from-bloombergs-everytown-for-gun-safety-on-guns-analysis-of-recent-mass-shootings/
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 12:15:28 AM by Hawkmoon »

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2017, 12:06:55 PM »
Perhaps separate columns for actual (>4 dead) mass shootings and and "attempted" (<4 dead) mass shootings and whether or not the attempted was stopped by and armed responder.  Along with whether it was LE or a CCW type.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2017, 04:38:46 PM »
Perhaps separate columns for actual (>4 dead) mass shootings and and "attempted" (<4 dead) mass shootings and whether or not the attempted was stopped by and armed responder.  Along with whether it was LE or a CCW type.

What if the number of dead == 4?
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2017, 06:11:29 PM »
What if the number of dead == 4?

Mass Shooting.  Sorry should be >=.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.