Author Topic: The "goodness" of American troops  (Read 2107 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
The "goodness" of American troops
« on: April 10, 2017, 12:10:19 AM »
A few weeks back, on another forum, I posted about a documentary I saw on Nazi brothels. After the invasion of Paris, the Germans found that one in five soldiers were getting STD's that were sidelining them for weeks. The solution was typically German. They set up their own brothels in combat areas, and captured local women to work them. Officers inspected the women to assure they were desireable, and doctors frequently inspected them for disease. Most women could only take this for a year or so. When they no longer could, they were shot.

The response to my post was the typical "our guys raped women, too".  I had to do a little research. I found that our WWII troops raped an estimated 14,000 women. 700 of the guilty soldiers were tried.

By point of comparison, it's estimated that the Russians raped 2,000,000 German women when they invaded Germany. I didn't find any mention of trials. Roughly one-fifth of the raped German women committed suicide.

I didn't find any numbers for rapes by Germans, but my guess is that the numbers were high.

It's remarkable to me how moral our troops have been in wartime, and how we have behaved as a country. We've fought and gone home, without seizing territory. Our troops have fought viciously, but with few atrocities. Just another example of America being special.

HankB

• friend
Re: The "goodness" of American troops
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 12:31:42 AM »
By point of comparison, it's estimated that the Russians raped 2,000,000 German women when they invaded Germany. I didn't find any mention of trials.
That's because Joseph Stalin himself said it was just retribution against Germany for what they did to the Soviet Union - rape of German women was officially endorsed by Soviet leadership.

Ask Korea, China, and the Philippines about how the Japanese treated women in occupied areas.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 12:37:38 AM »

Ask Korea, China, and the Philippines about how the Japanese treated women in occupied areas.

Oh, that I know.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 07:19:11 AM »
Ah, the moral equivalency argument.

I love those people....
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 08:56:16 AM »
Sources?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 08:59:37 AM »
There is no question that Americans have committed atrocities in combat theatre. War is a fundamentally dehumanizing experience. That said, as Monkeyleg said--the absolute numbers seem to be low, there is no official sanction for such in the US armed forces historically, and there is no cultural allowance for such back home.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 09:11:37 AM »
I heard somewhere that the mass rape by Russians in Germany either didn't happen or was exaggerated.  I can't remember where I saw that.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 09:12:50 AM »
I heard somewhere that the mass rape by Russians in Germany either didn't happen or was exaggerated.  I can't remember where I saw that.

Same "documents" that claim the holocaust never happened?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 09:26:38 AM »
Sources?

I searched for this several weeks ago, and don't have the sites in my browsers history now. It's on the 'net. Find it yourself. ;)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 10:49:01 AM »

I've never read one official source that said so. Even official Russian sources were "tough cookies". Even well after the invasion when Eastern Germany was commie, the official German communist party complained that Russian troops were still acting like conquerers and it was not helping the local population connect with other commies. They were also told that essentially it was retribution or reparations, take your pick.

Honestly, there's a whole lot more holocaust deniers than there are communist atrocity deniers. Though most people care less about the communist atrocities. Weird how that works.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 11:33:30 AM »

Pravda?

I'm reading Bill O'Reilly's book Killing Patton now, and he goes into some depth on the behavior of Soviet troops invading Germany - truly savage and barbaric. Here are a few snippets from his footnotes.

Quote from: Joseph Stalin
"People should understand it if a soldier who has crossed thosands of kilometers of blood and death has fun with a woman."

Quote from: Bill O'Reilly in "Killing Patton"
"In the German city of Dresden, the Russians will gang-rape women in the streets, forcing husbands and fathers to watch. Afterward, the men will be shot. The Russians will claim the rapes were retribution for the atrocities committed during the German invasion of Russia, which does not explain the estimated one hundred thousand rapse in Austria, two hundred thousand in Hungary, and tens of thousands of others in Bulgaria, Poland and Czechoslovakia. To this day the Putin government in Russia denies that the Russian army committed mass rape, but the evidence contained in various eyewitness accounts is overwhelming."

The main take away is that the USA didn't excuse - much less endorse - rape of women by GIs; we prosecuted them.

This is vastly different from German, Soviet, and Japanese practice.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 04:27:13 PM »
I've never read one official source that said so. Even official Russian sources were "tough cookies". Even well after the invasion when Eastern Germany was commie, the official German communist party complained that Russian troops were still acting like conquerers and it was not helping the local population connect with other commies. They were also told that essentially it was retribution or reparations, take your pick.

Honestly, there's a whole lot more holocaust deniers than there are communist atrocity deniers. Though most people care less about the communist atrocities. Weird how that works.

If the Russians had had snappy uniforms like the germans and peaked caps they might have their own fanbois.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 05:06:56 PM »
Same "documents" that claim the holocaust never happened?

Yeah, that is it!   

I don't remember where I saw it.  It was probably a comment somewhere, not a real source.  I thought one of you might have seen something more official.  Apparently not. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 05:02:53 AM »
The response to my post was the typical "our guys raped women, too".  I had to do a little research. I found that our WWII troops raped an estimated 14,000 women. 700 of the guilty soldiers were tried.

That's actually an excellent rate, when you think about it. 

https://www.rainn.org/statistics/criminal-justice-system
Claims that only 11 out of 1000 rapes will result in charges pressed.  By those statistics, we'd be looking at only 154 soldiers going to trial.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 06:37:26 AM »
That's actually an excellent rate, when you think about it. 

https://www.rainn.org/statistics/criminal-justice-system
Claims that only 11 out of 1000 rapes will result in charges pressed.  By those statistics, we'd be looking at only 154 soldiers going to trial.

I wonder how many of those that were not prosecuted were KIA before legal proceedings could begin.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 11:49:38 AM »
It's remarkable to me how moral our troops have been in wartime, and how we have behaved as a country. We've fought and gone home, without seizing territory. Our troops have fought viciously, but with few atrocities. Just another example of America being special.
Not all that remarkable, if you ask me.

It's a lot easier to be moral when the guys you are fighting haven't actually burned down your house and killed the entirety of your family in some nasty ways. It's also a bit easier to be moral if you know that you are going to be treated as a human in the event of capture.

In a nutshell, it was a lot less personal and visceral for Americans.

Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2017, 01:18:43 PM »
Not all that remarkable, if you ask me.

It's a lot easier to be moral when the guys you are fighting haven't actually burned down your house and killed the entirety of your family in some nasty ways. It's also a bit easier to be moral if you know that you are going to be treated as a human in the event of capture.

In a nutshell, it was a lot less personal and visceral for Americans.

Do you or anyone else here have any knowledge of how Union or Confederate troops behaved, or how the troops of the Continental Army behaved?

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2017, 02:47:40 PM »
“History is always written by the winners. When two cultures clash, the loser is obliterated, and the winner writes the history books-books which glorify their own cause and disparage the conquered foe. As Napoleon once said, 'What is history, but a fable agreed upon?”