Author Topic: Turn them off!  (Read 5019 times)

Preacherman

Turn them off!
« on: December 27, 2006, 05:32:28 PM »
I'm so pleased to see Boris Johnson saying in print what I've been saying for years!

From the Telegraph, London (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml;jsessionid=DVM5JUDGJIIY1QFIQMGSFGGAVCBQWIV0?xml=/opinion/2006/12/28/do2801.xml):

The writing is on the wall  computer games rot the brain

By Boris Johnson

Last Updated: 12:01am GMT 28/12/2006

It's the snarl that gives the game away. It's the sobbing and the shrieking and the horrible pleading  that's how you know your children are undergoing a sudden narcotic withdrawal. As the strobing colours die away and the screen goes black, you listen to the wail of protest from the offspring and you know that you have just turned off their drug, and you know that, to a greater or lesser extent, they are addicts.

Some children have it bad. Some are miraculously unaffected. But millions of seven- to 15-year-olds are hooked, especially boys, and it is time someone had the guts to stand up, cross the room and just say no to Nintendo. It is time to garrotte the Game Boy and paralyse the PlayStation, and it is about time, as a society, that we admitted the catastrophic effect these blasted gizmos are having on the literacy and the prospects of young males.

It was among the first acts of the Labour Government to institute a universal "literacy" hour in primary schools; and yet, in the six years following 1997, the numbers of young children who said that they didn't like reading rose from 23 per cent to 35 per cent. In spite of all our cash and effort, the surveys increasingly show that children (especially boys) regard reading as a chore, something that needs to be accomplished for the sake of passing tests, not as a joy in itself. It is a disaster, and I refuse to believe that these hypnotic little machines are innocent.

We demand that teachers provide our children with reading skills; we expect the schools to fill them with a love of books; and yet at home we let them slump in front of the consoles. We get on with our hedonistic 21st-century lives while in some other room the nippers are bleeping and zapping in speechless rapture, their passive faces washed in explosions and gore. They sit for so long that their souls seem to have been sucked down the cathode ray tube.

They become like blinking lizards, motionless, absorbed, only the twitching of their hands showing they are still conscious. These machines teach them nothing. They stimulate no ratiocination, discovery or feat of memory  though some of them may cunningly pretend to be educational. I have just watched an 11-year-old play a game that looked fairly historical, on the packet. Your average guilt-ridden parent might assume that it taught the child something about the Vikings and medieval siege warfare.

Phooey! The red soldiers robotically slaughtered the white soldiers, and then they did it again, that was it. Everything was programmed, spoon-fed, immediate  and endlessly showering the player with undeserved praise, richly congratulating him for his bogus massacres. The more addictive these games are to the male mind, the more difficult it is to persuade boys to read books; and that is why it is no comfort that Britain has more computer games per household than any other EU country, and, even though they are wince-makingly expensive, an amazing 89 per cent of British households with children now boast a games console, with distribution right across the socio-economic groups.

Every child must have one, and what we fail to grasp is that these possessions are not so much an index of wealth as a cause of ignorance and underachievement and, yes, poverty. It hardly matters how much cash we pour into reading in schools if there is no culture of reading at home; and the consequences of this failure to read can be seen throughout the education system.

Huge numbers are still leaving primary school in a state of functional illiteracy, with 44 per cent unable either to read, write or do basic sums. By the age of 14, there are still 40 per cent whose literacy or numeracy is not up to the expected standard, and a large proportion of the effort at Further Education colleges (about 20 per cent) is devoted to remedial reading and writing. Even at university, there are now terrifying numbers of students who cannot express themselves in the kind of clear, logical English required for an essay, and in many important respects if you can't write, you can't think. The Royal Literary Fund has, in the past few years, done a wonderful job of establishing Writing Fellows at our universities, offering therapy for those who can't put their thoughts on paper; and yet the fund admits that the scale of the problem is quite beyond its abilities.

It is a shock, arriving at university, and being asked to compose an essay of a couple of thousand words, and then discovering that you can't do it; and this demoralisation is a major cause of dropping-out. It's not that the students lack the brains; the raw circuitry is better than ever. It's the software that's the problem. They have not been properly programmed, because they have not read enough. The only way to learn to write is to be forced time and again to articulate your own thoughts in your own words, and you haven't a hope of doing this if you haven't read enough to absorb the basic elements of vocabulary, grammar, rhythm, style and structure; and young males in particular won't read enough if we continually capitulate and let them fritter their lives away in front of these drivelling machines.

Gordon Brown proposed in his Pre-Budget Report to spend £2,000 per head on improving the reading of six-year-old boys. That is all well and good, especially when you consider that the cost of remedial English in secondary school soars to £50,000 per head. But it would be cheaper and possibly more effective if we all  politicians, parents, whoever  had the nerve to crack down on this electronic opiate.

So I say now: stop just lying there in your post-Christmas state of crapulous indifference. Get up off the sofa. Can the DVD of Desperate Housewives, and go to where your children are sitting in auto-lobotomy in front of the console.

Summon up all your strength, all your courage. Steel yourself for the screams and yank out that plug.

And if they still kick up a fuss, then get out the sledgehammer and strike a blow for literacy.
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Re: Turn them off!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 05:46:30 PM »
YAWN!!!!  Same old pap that was pushed 25 years ago.  Only the names have changed.  Today its XBox, Gameboy and PS3.  Then it was Atari, Bandai and Coleco.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 06:00:38 PM »
Ya know, it could be true then and still true now.  Perhaps?  Truth is like that.   
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

meinbruder

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 06:12:30 PM »
Ya know, it could be true then and still true now.  Perhaps?  Truth is like that.   

Considering the steady decline in kids SAT scores, boys especially, I do think that games should be a reward rather than a baby sitter.  Ive played my share of them but study time comes first.  Truth is a wiggly critter, it only fits on a case by case basis not a blanket.

Much to my surprise, I seem to be in agreement with fistful.
}:)> 
Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.....

Da bianhua

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 06:14:32 PM »
You grow in wisdom child.

Can anyone source that quotation? 

meinbruder

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 06:20:56 PM »

Child?  IIRC, I was buying my first handgun when you were drooling over a pan filled with Cheerios.  Perhaps you are one of those rare "wise beyond their years" youngster I've heard about.

Da bianhua

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 06:32:01 PM »
I think there is something there, I find electronic games to be pretty much my only addictive vice. I can smoke or drink for leisure and develop no habit nor desire for one, never even thought about other recreational substances. Guns might be an addiction, but when working on them, I go to bed. Last time I got near one of the Civilization series of PC games I pulled a couple of 18 hour sessions, just couldn't stop. Never owned a PS, Nintendo, etc. Thank god.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 06:35:59 PM »
I think its a false linkage to connect falling SAT scores to video games.  Consider this:

Perhaps too much TV, certainly too little hard work in school

Fourteen years ago, scores on the Scholastic Aptitude Tests, those college entrance exams taken with dread each year by a million high school students, began to drift downward—after holding steady for decades. The mean score for verbal ability, measured on the SAT'S 200 to 800 scale, dropped gradually from 478 in the 1962-63 academic year into the 430s. The median mathematics score slipped from 502 into the 470s. In 1975, when the combined score plunged eleven points in just one year, alarmed parents and educators demanded to know why. The widespread concern prompted the College Entrance Examination Board and the Educational Testing Service, which sponsor and develop the exam, to commission an independent panel to study the decline.

The except above comes from an article published in Time Magazine in 1977 ( http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,915392,00.html ).  The trend started in 1963, LONG before the first arcade game was released in 1971 or the first home video games were released a year later.

Rather, I'd attribute the fall in testing scores to the dumbing down of our public educational system and less emphasis placed on the basics of reading, writing and mathematics in favor of supporting the students self image, place in the world community and promotion of multiculturalism.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 06:48:47 PM »
The cream will rise to the top. If they don't like reading, they won't read.

Also, there are worthwhile videogames, one shouldn't condemn the entire medium as a waste of time; it smacks of either ignorance or closemindedeness. It's especially enlightening to hear '(all) videogames rot your brain' in an article attempting to get people to read more.
I'd attribute the fall in testing scores to the dumbing down of our public educational system and less emphasis placed on the basics of reading, writing and mathematics in favor of supporting the students self image, place in the world community and promotion of multiculturalism.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2006, 06:50:02 PM »
Or maybe it was never true.

I had an Atari, Nintendo, then computer games.  I only stopped playing computer games regularly about 5 years ago when I got tired of chasing the tech required to play the latest games (Quake III was the last one I bought). 

I managed to earn my MBA while in the clutches of a raging Doom II addiction.  I earn well over the average for this area.  I've earned technical certifications.  I own my own home (well, I have a mortgaged home).  I have several technical hobbies.  I read 1-2 books a month, fiction, non-fiction, and technical reference. 

And lest you think I'm an anomaly, I know plenty more gamers with similar lifestyles and achievements.

How about we stop finding excuses for stupid people and just accept that not everyone is cut out for the CEO position.  The world needs laborers too you know.

As for "It's the snarl that gives the game away. It's the sobbing and the shrieking and the horrible pleading  that's how you know your children are undergoing a sudden narcotic withdrawal", I just went through the exact same thing with my daughter just 10 minutes ago.  Did we take away her favorite video game?  Nope.  We didn't let her sleep in her new shoes.  Maybe we should ban shoes next.

Chris

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 07:02:11 PM »
Maybe we should ban shoes next.
I think that might be going a bit far.  Maybe just banning 'em for females.

My experience mirrors mtnbkr's, 'cept for the MBA.  If is person is given to scholarly pursuits, they will take that path.  If the person is not given to thinking about gene expression and how rotating singularities twist space-time while that person is on the throne, no amount of cajoling from others will induce them down that path.

meinbruder

• friends
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2006, 07:21:20 PM »
Rather, I'd attribute the fall in testing scores to the dumbing down of our public educational system and less emphasis placed on the basics of reading, writing and mathematics in favor of supporting the students self image, place in the world community and promotion of multiculturalism.

Here's a point I can completely agree with!  Otherwise I'd say my point was reinforced in the last few posts. 

Da bianhua

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2006, 07:43:03 PM »
Or maybe it was never true.
Fair enough.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2006, 07:44:19 PM »

Child?  IIRC, I was buying my first handgun when you were drooling over a pan filled with Cheerios.  Perhaps you are one of those rare "wise beyond their years" youngster I've heard about.

No, that's cosine over in the wise beyond their years department.  I was quoting a line from the classic "Tai Kwon Leap" sketch.  Or, Boot to the Head, as it is also known. 

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2006, 07:49:14 PM »
Actually, I _do_ think that the constant media blitz, including video games, what passes for cartoons these days, etc., etc., tends to lead to a shortened attention span... Not to be paranoid or anything, but sheesh - wouldn't it be weird to find out that there's subliminal messages in the things? Junior can watch cartoons or play video games for hours, but needs ritalin to concentrate on See Dick Run for 10 minutes?

Blog under construction

meinbruder

• friends
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2006, 07:55:49 PM »
Actually, I _do_ think that the constant media blitz, including video games, what passes for cartoons these days, etc., etc., tends to lead to a shortened attention span... Not to be paranoid or anything, but sheesh - wouldn't it be weird to find out that there's subliminal messages in the things? Junior can watch cartoons or play video games for hours, but needs ritalin to concentrate on See Dick Run for 10 minutes?

I see you've met my wifes nephew.

Da bianhua

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2006, 08:05:24 PM »
How many kids with ADD does it take to change a lightbulb? 

meinbruder

• friends
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2006, 08:17:16 PM »

Five.  Tell me why.

Da bianhua

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2006, 08:24:58 PM »
Wanna ride bikes? 

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2006, 06:33:16 AM »
It's not the right kind of light bulb. You need to use the right kind of light bulb.

(actually got this once - different brand/packaging...)

Blog under construction

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2006, 07:04:08 AM »
Yes, blame the games for the problems, not the parenting.

I read several books per month.  I also play video games.  Granted, I'm 38 years old and was reading books before video games became common.  I'll grant you probably read less than I used to because I spend more time playing games. 

Currently reading:  Memory by Lois McMaster Bujold (if you haven't read her you're missing out)
Currently playing: World of Warcraft.

"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2006, 07:21:18 AM »
Video games can't be worse than LiberalMedia television programming.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2006, 07:49:34 AM »
By all means, restrict the amount of TV and videogame time that your kids have, it does them good to revise and go out in the sun.

Just don't push for any kind of legislation restricting videogame sales, or the like. After all, it is not fair for the responsible ones to be punished for the sins of others, just like you guys don't want to be punished for that which criminals do with firearms.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Strings

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2006, 08:00:44 AM »
I was in the public library the day after thanksgiving: EVERY public-use computer there was occupied by a kids playing games (looked like most were stuck on Evercrack). One young lady home for the holiday, and needing to do some work on a computer for college, had to wait two hours to access a computer, because of all the young gamers.

Is it a parenting problem? You bet! Are there kids (and adults) that are becoming addicted? You bet: those with addictive personalities. Should there be legal restrictions against them? HELL NO!

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2006, 09:23:54 AM »
It was among the first acts of the Labour Government to institute a universal "literacy" hour in primary schools; and yet, in the six years following 1997, the numbers of young children who said that they didn't like reading rose from 23 per cent to 35 per cent. In spite of all our cash and effort, the surveys increasingly show that children (especially boys) regard reading as a chore, something that needs to be accomplished for the sake of passing tests, not as a joy in itself. It is a disaster, and I refuse to believe that these hypnotic little machines are innocent.
Yeah...  We can identify the real cause of this issue (more money and more bureacratic rules won't solve problems; turning reading into a chore or assignment won't make it fun for kids).  Or we can blame the video games for making our children fail to respond properly to our brainless yet good-intentioned social programs.  Quick, someone guess which choice this nanny-stater made!   rolleyes

The quality of both parenting and teaching have declined dramatically over the past few decades.  It's convenient for the parents and schoolteachers to use video games as a scapegoat.  When in doubt, blame someone or something else for your shortcomings.  Above all, do not accept responsibility for your own failings.

With this sort of intellectual lazines coming from parents and schoolteachers, it's no wonder their children are turning out to be brainless and undereducated.