Author Topic: Mother's day gift idea  (Read 422 times)

Pb

• friend
Mother's day gift idea
« on: April 20, 2017, 11:05:38 AM »
I wanted to share an idea for a mother’s day present- love token jewelry, a great gift for any woman who likes antiques.

Back in the late 1800’s it was very popular for people to wear jewelry made from coins, usually silver dimes.  People would engrave their names, initials, “mother”, “brother” “papa” etc on coins and give them to a loved one.  These would be worn on bracelets, cufflinks, watch fobs etc.  Often women would wear a bracelet with one for every member of their family.

Last year I bought one that said “Mamma” engraved on a Canadian coin and attached it to a necklace for my mother.  She likes it a lot.  You can drill a hole or solder a small jump ring to it to attach the necklace- some already have holes or rings on them.

Love tokens can be found on ebay, priced all over the place but the ones I have bought have been around $15-25 dollars each.  Some are beautifully hand engraved, some are simple.  They are actually usually cheaper than antique coins typically are, as they are “defaced.”

I found one with my wife’s initials on it and am giving it to her on a chain this year for her birthday.