Author Topic: A Few Things You Didn't Know About Beer  (Read 994 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
A Few Things You Didn't Know About Beer
« on: April 21, 2017, 11:13:03 AM »
The most interesting to me is that there were beer ad agencies 4000 years ago. :)

According to Eames, the 4,000-year-old Mesopotamian stone tablet featured a large-busted woman holding goblets of beer in each hand, with the tagline, “Drink Elba, the beer with the heart of a lion.”

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2017/04/21/5-things-didnt-know-about-beer.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: A Few Things You Didn't Know About Beer
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 11:26:49 AM »
large-busted woman holding goblets of beer in each hand

Well now we know from where Germans originated from.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 11:30:12 AM »
Well now we know from where Germans originated from.

I was thinking the same thing.  Now we know where beer maid hiring standards originated.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 11:35:56 AM »
I'm going to be a little skeptical here.  Did a quick check and while I found any number of references to the 4000 year old beer ad by guy who made that claim including in the claimant's obituary, I couldn't find a picture of it.  It seems to me that if the description is anything near accurate then everyone who repeated it would want to put the picture in every article that mentioned it.  Not proof, but makes me leery of repeating it.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 11:51:47 AM »
Question:  Does anyone distill beer by freezing, as with applejack?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 04:42:26 PM »
I'm going to be a little skeptical here.  Did a quick check and while I found any number of references to the 4000 year old beer ad by guy who made that claim including in the claimant's obituary, I couldn't find a picture of it.  It seems to me that if the description is anything near accurate then everyone who repeated it would want to put the picture in every article that mentioned it.  Not proof, but makes me leery of repeating it.
I figured it was a very exaggerated interpretation of cuneiform or whatever the written language was at that time.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 04:58:27 PM »
I figured it was a very exaggerated interpretation of cuneiform or whatever the written language was at that time.
Of course, but even allowing for that if there were anything recognizable as a buxom wench wielding beer in both hands I'd expect to see it when the tablet was referenced.