Author Topic: Star Wars Canyon  (Read 2806 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Re: Star Wars Canyon
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2017, 05:13:02 PM »
Fly320 pointed out:

Yes, now I remember when I lived near Boulder Municipal (don't know what it might be called nowadays) watching the gliders release from the tow plane, and the tow plane would tip over 90° sideways and drop like a rock, with the towline trailing upwards behind it.  Takes a while for those memory engrams to percolate up to the surface.

AmbulanceDrive remarked,

LOL!

Yeah, but that's not flying, as in aerodynamically.  That's just...

https://youtu.be/jmsTzevG7aQ

...mere rocketry.

Yeah, but it's rocketry with style....

https://youtu.be/IsNYvmGrZKc
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2017, 02:23:53 AM »
Makes me mis the bad Ol', good Ol' days of the Cold War.  Watching A-10's come in from the west over Range 35 at Baumholder and blast the crap out of old derelict armored vehicles.   And then riding in Blackhawks flying balls out, doing nap of the earth, below the treetops, with the doors open, and praying that five point restraining really worked.

There really was nothing like looking out the doors and up to see the tops of the trees, while doing 100 knots.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2017, 09:00:03 AM »
Makes me mis the bad Ol', good Ol' days of the Cold War.  Watching A-10's come in from the west over Range 35 at Baumholder and blast the crap out of old derelict armored vehicles.   And then riding in Blackhawks flying balls out, doing nap of the earth, below the treetops, with the doors open, and praying that five point restraining really worked.

There really was nothing like looking out the doors and up to see the tops of the trees, while doing 100 knots.

The definition of "low" has certainly changed over time - for instance there was a programme on TV over here a few years ago about the Dams Raid, where the presenter illustrated how low some of the planes got in their attacks by pointing to the top of a lamp-post next to him.  On the same raid, one plane had to turn back because their bomb got hit by the sea and was torn off.   Many of the casualties were caused by flying into electricity pylons and wires - at night, with no visual aids, in a Lancaster and with people shooting at them.
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2017, 09:36:28 AM »
Things are different in the training world as opposed to the war world. 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2017, 09:45:55 AM »
Things are different in the training world as opposed to the war world. 

Things are also a lot different at 800kts rather than 250kts.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2017, 02:59:42 PM »

It was unnerving enough looking for lost calves from a J-3 at ~40kts, dipping between the pecan trees with the door open to get a look under the foliage.  Found a thistle head stuck to the wingtip after one of those flights.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2017, 12:50:54 AM »
One of the first videos was listed as 4k HD, yet it showed F4s zipping through the canyon.  I want to know who's still flying F4s.
The first of the pair had a red tail.  Maybe a QF4 and a drone director following.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2017, 01:06:56 AM »
One of the first videos was listed as 4k HD, yet it showed F4s zipping through the canyon.  I want to know who's still flying F4s.
The first of the pair had a red tail.  Maybe a QF4 and a drone director following.

That's exactly what it is.   QF-4's flew until July of 2015.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2017, 08:39:16 AM »
That's exactly what it is.   QF-4's flew until July of 2015.

They've stopped the F-4 drone program? Bummer. Around 15 years ago, I got a tour of the control facility for the F-4 drones that flew between Mugu and San Nicholas Island. It was a pretty complex big dark pit. I guess now that you can do the same thing with a laptop and a UAV, they've become obsolete. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2017, 08:44:53 AM »
There are, however, a few F4's in private hands. 

http://www.collingsfoundation.org/

Based out of KEFD where I worked before coming back to the feeding trough.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”